GDT: GDT #44 New York Islanders @ Winnipeg Jets | January 16th | 8 PM | F/4-2 L

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
OK. You convinced me. He sucks.

And why would you be OK with him at 2 years for 7M if he's so bad?
Bc it feels better to rationalize it that way.
If I had my way I would get rid of Lou, Lane and make everyone available for trade except for (Dobson, Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat and Holmstrom)
I’ll take 4/5, the fifth one time is ticking on being stuck with him…

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
There's a lot of reasons why Lou hasn't removed Lane yet...

1. There's no one available he likes better.
  2. He thinks the team will get better.
  3. He likes the job Lane is doing.
  4. He's taken a pulse of the market and no experienced coach wants to work for him at this point.
  5. He knows that if he fires another coach that he might be next.
  6. Malkin mandated that he doesn't fire Lane because Malkin will be cleaning house end of season if the team doesn't make the playoffs regardless.

And there could be several other reasons, but there's literally no evidence that Malkin wouldn't put up the money to pay for a new coach if he believed it was the best move for the team.
Despite others here discounting the possibility, I don't think it's outlandish to consider #6 with a little bit of #1 added in.

The "pay 2 coaches" thing is not necessarily a reason for Malkin to balk at hiring a new coach, but it is a procedural thing that Lou would likely need to run it by the owner since he'd be paying the 2 salaries. The owner could then say "no" if he's asked, or at least that a replacement would have to come from within the organization as an interim coach. Malkin's real reason could be not the $$ but rather the fact that he wants to leave options open for the summer. See how they do and then evaluate in the off season. Hiring an established/top coach now would require a long term deal and that could limit options for management moves down the road.

Reactions: periferal

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Paying two coaches is probably not the reason.
Probably correct, but it would require Lou to get permission from the owner and then the owner could say "no" for some other reason. Procedural, not substantive.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And there’s no evidence of 4-6. That’s just your ongoing theme in bullet points vs paragraphs.

Again, who are your candidates to replace Lou and Lambert? (You seem to dodge that repeatedly AND and Islanders topic).

Would be great if didn't get triggered just by seeing my avatar and digested my posts as I intended them.

For example...I never said there was any evidence for #4-6. I'm just throwing out things that MIGHT be happening as to why Lane hasn't been fired yet. Can you breathe that in and accept it? Why do you think Lane hasn't been fired yet? Do you think he's doing a good job - Or do you think that Lou thinks he's doing a good job?

As for a new coach, I won't pretend to know all the candidates/assistants/etc are out there that would be an improvement on Lane...No more than I'd know all the candidates available to replace Lou. That's Lou's job to know.

What I am confident in is that both the coach and GM aren't doing their jobs as well they should and thus I want them both replaced (but I'll note the coach is much worse than the GM - But that's also on theGM. This is no different than when I wanted snow and capuano replaced.

In a million years I never thought getting Barry Trotz was a possibility, but he was no question my first choice. I never wanted Lou, but compared to snow I was at least happy that we would be finally run like a professional franchise.

However now years have gone by and to me the Isles window for a Cup has closed. And to me the only chance of opening it again is to improve the coach and roster...And to me that means improving on the GM.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Are there teams out there that have a lot of cap flexibility to make moves? Because I look at CapFriendly and see a relatively small handful of teams with a chunk of space.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Would be great if didn't get triggered just by seeing my avatar and digested my posts as I intended them.

For example...I never said there was any evidence for #4-6. I'm just throwing out things that MIGHT be happening as to why Lane hasn't been fired yet. Can you breathe that in and accept it?
Could be that Lou died a long time ago and Lane has been promoted to coach AND GM in secret. Or Lou signed Lane to a 25 year contract that is impossible to move. Or the deal Lou made with Barry is that he will leave Nashville and come back to coach the Islanders next season. Lane is just keeping the seat warm.

No evidence, just throwing things out there that might be happening. Breathe, digest and accept it.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Bolduc and Aho are just the difference between cat shit and dog shit. At least Aho has a mental understanding of the game, he's just limited physically. Bolduc is good for a half a dozen seizures a night.
I disagree with this. Aho makes God awful decisions both with the puck and without. An understanding that he is overmatched at the NHL level should have been realized halfway through last season. Both his brutal play and the decision to play him are bad indicators of our coaching staff's abilities to gauge talent.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

For example...I never said there was any evidence for #4-6. I'm just throwing out things that MIGHT be happening as to why Lane hasn't been fired yet. Can you breathe that in and accept it? Why do you think Lane hasn't been fired yet? Do you think he's doing a good job - Or do you think that Lou thinks he's doing a good job?

As for a new coach, I won't pretend to know all the candidates/assistants/etc are out there that would be an improvement on Lane...No more than I'd know all the candidates available to replace Lou. That's Lou's job to know.

What I am confident in is that both the coach and GM aren't doing their jobs as well they should and thus I want them both replaced (but I'll note the coach is much worse than the GM - But that's also on theGM. This is no different than when I wanted snow and capuano replaced.

In a million years I never thought getting Barry Trotz was a possibility, but he was no question my first choice. I never wanted Lou, but compared to snow I was at least happy that we would be finally run like a professional franchise.

However now years have gone by and to me the Isles window for a Cup has closed. And to me the only chance of opening it again is to improve the coach and roster...And to me that means improving on the GM.
Too funny, so all your Lou and Lambert are the worst and you can’t event ‘think’ of options. Just reverting back to the same old.

I remember you long ago railing on McPhee for the Forsberg trade. Forsberg hasn’t won anything. But, Yeah, McPhee, he’s looking pretty dam good in Vegas with two SC Cup appearances and one Cup.

Btw, you posted all those McPhee things on the Isles board bc you didn’t want him to be GM solely bc of that trade.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Probably correct, but it would require Lou to get permission from the owner and then the owner could say "no" for some other reason. Procedural, not substantive.
Could be. 100% hiring a Berube now requires a 3 year deal minimum.

I don’t think Lou is out this offseason. I think Lou is sticking with Lambert for the season.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
I quite liked Aho last year. His offensive output kinda negated his defensive issues.
There has been little offensive output from him this year....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I disagree with this. Aho makes God awful decisions both with the puck and without. An understanding that he is overmatched at the NHL level should have been realized halfway through last season. Both his brutal play and the decision to play him are bad indicators of our coaching staff's abilities to gauge talent.
Okay.... nothing mentioned about Bolduc in this tells you all you need to know. They are both terrible.

Aho gives the puck away and blows assignments as much as Mayfield. Bolduc does it as much as those two combined. All three of them have been bad, and makes you wonder if the forwards are making the defense look bad.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well, we knew this January would be telling. A tough schedule, it was clear that this group would be tested. Would we get to see their true colors?

Thus far, it's been very telling.

I think one of the things that's jumping out at me is that this swoon is happening in a time where Mayfield and Pelech have gotten back in the line-up.

In fact, I'm wondering right now how the team has been doing since Bortuzzo got injured?

Things have been disappointing lately. At least the overall effort in Winnipeg was an upgrade to what we've seen since the 8-minute collapse in Nashville.

But my take this season is that the eastern conference teams have been winning what feels like 75% of the time against western conference teams. It really hurts not to be able to get points against these teams. It also means that all those head-to-head contests later in the season will be close to "must win" situations.

Speaking of which, these guys HAVE to be able to win in Chicago tomorrow. They're off track now for sure, but that can't cost points in Chicago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin27NYI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Shows you just how much I’ve tuned this team out; didn’t even realize they played.

I hope this is a step closer to a firing. I’d like to see this group under a better coach. Berube and Q are my choices; a winning pedigree.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It is so odd. Shuffle the guy down the lineup for crying out loud. It makes no sense. Instead we get Fasching, Gauthier and or Wahlstrom. One of those guys is the limit. Two NHL tweeners and a poor skater made worse by injury.
Looks like Engvall is injured, which makes a lot more sense.

While he isn't moving the needle offensively, I'd think staying even is better than most of NYI's forwards. Not good that he's injured, but makes me feel better that he wasn't scratched instead of forwards who deserved that much more.

Reactions: crashthenet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad