GDT: GDT #32 New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | December 20th | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 OTL

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
he clearly was out of gas, tanks were empty tonight. same with Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, the go to men were completely out of sync and not in good shape conditionally. Mentally they forced OT but that was all they could get. Let them rest until next game.

I was at my company X-Mas party so I missed the whole game. Did catch OT at least and saw the play.

Hey, 3 out of 4 points is nice. If they were out of gas as you describe, it's all good. Dobson has been doing massive heavy lifting, the kid needs a rest over the holiday break.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Barzal with some fancy figure skating tonight. North South hockey? Not so much.

Too many figure-8's.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Again re: loser points. Isles regulation record is 11-8-13.
It's interesting how the teams that finish with a lot of overtime and shootout losses are taken to the woodshed, yet no one bats an eye at the teams that feast off the extra time. I guess it doesn't go both ways. The Isles style is unsustainable and everyone else's isn't.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not a good sign for the Ovy chase when he’s got 5 Gs in a league with weak defense and terrible goaltending. He might be lucky to get 20-25Gs (the capitals aren’t making the playoffs either) this season. The talent around him has diminished too.

He’ll be 39 at the start of next season. Kudos to him going for it and the franchise ‘sacrificing’ to do it, but looking closer to long shot.

Reactions: Strummergas

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Capitals still are such an annoying team. I really hate saying it but at least half of their forwards are dirty.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Why do people call OTL loser points?

At the conclusion of regulation of a tied game each team gets a point. That sounds like a tie to me.

The extra point is the NHL’s way of being all NHL gimmicky.

I would say the regulation record is a better indicator of how a team would do in the playoffs, where there are no OT gimmicks.

Reactions: doublechili

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Probably didn’t deserve a point, but take it and move on to the next game.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Barzal with some fancy figure skating tonight. North South hockey? Not so much.

Too many figure-8's.
It’s tough to explain Barzal, Not sure if he thinks it’s cool to dance and move side to side but do nothing ! !!
In practice, Coach should put signs on the boards pointing in the direction of the net . Barzy Net this way >>>>>>

Last edited:
Reactions: Throttle and beach

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Think when Barzy gets tired he reverts a bit to a more instinctive style of play.

Caught the last half....just reminded me of the Montreal game, but a little better....wee little bit.

How is it on our back-to-backs, we are traveling and the other team is coming off a vacation

Reactions: MJF

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Not a good sign for the Ovy chase when he’s got 5 Gs in a league with weak defense and terrible goaltending. He might be lucky to get 20-25Gs (the capitals aren’t making the playoffs either) this season. The talent around him has diminished too.

He’ll be 39 at the start of next season. Kudos to him going for it and the franchise ‘sacrificing’ to do it, but looking closer to long shot.
If not for the stoppages, his stats would be ridiculous. Two lockouts and Covid. Would he be at 900 already?

Difference between him and Crosby is he has been healthy throughout his career.

Happy with 3 out of 4.
The schedule sucks. OT looked like the 1st period of the Habs game. Wonder if Dobson makes an area pass to Holmstrom do things turnout a bit better? JGP unfortunately had nothing in the tank at the start of OT. Turnover and sloppy change.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It happens and it seemed like the ice was shit.
Glad you mentioned that, I couldn't believe how many times pucks were taking small hops. For Barzal, it must have felt like a minefield after a while. It was certainly more of a chip and chase game, as stickhandling on both teams was spotty.

Imagine if they didn’t have that stretch where they blew every third period lead in existence
Imagine if John Lennon didn't sing Imagine . . . haven't we beaten that one to death already?

Continuing to look back like that only drives you crazy.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We’re going to finish the season with 47 OTLs.

Naaa, but seriously, 25 would sound about right...

Didn't care for Strome's OT winner, but somehow happy about just geting a point on the road on another back-to-back where our boys hit the road to play the next night.

I'm not too worried about the Caps come playoff time, so I have no problem if they edge their way in there as long as we're a PO team, of course.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
It's interesting how the teams that finish with a lot of overtime and shootout losses are taken to the woodshed, yet no one bats an eye at the teams that feast off the extra time. I guess it doesn't go both ways. The Isles style is unsustainable and everyone else's isn't.

This is the point I was trying to make, not that "loser points should be ignored." If you have a lot of loser points, it just means you go to OT a lot and have had bad luck in 3v3 and shootouts. It doesn't mean the team is a fraud or doesn't deserve it's place in the standings. In fact, I'd think a team that has a lot of loser points is probably a tad underrated given all of the bad luck in the skills competitions compared to a team that has won a lot of bonus points post-60 minutes.

Reactions: doublechili

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Didn't care for Strome's OT winner, but somehow happy about just geting a point on the road on another back-to-back where our boys hit the road to play the next night.

I'm not too worried about the Caps come playoff time, so I have no problem if they edge their way in there as long as we're a PO team, of course.

It is all about perspective. Getting a point like they did last night is fine. Blowing a 2 goal lead in the third period to lose in OT is another thing. I am happy that Lambert seems to have gotten that under control.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Think when Barzy gets tired he reverts a bit to a more instinctive style of play.

Caught the last half....just reminded me of the Montreal game, but a little better....wee little bit.

How is it on our back-to-backs, we are traveling and the other team is coming off a vacation
Barzy should use the George Costanza opposite method of thinking. Whatever your natural instinct tells you, do the opposite.

I still think at the end of the regular season the Capitals will be on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino