GDT: GDT #29 New York Islanders vs Boston | December 15th | 7:30 PM | F 5-4 SO/L

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Enough whining. They played toe to toe with Boston and easily could have won. This is clearly not the same game as the other blown leads.
They played well but blowing lead after lead is simply not good enough. They have proven they can blow a lead no matter what the score and who the opponent is this season, for that kudos to the coaching staff for being consistent,

Reactions: Lek and NYI365

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
If Trotz was still the coach you think the D and goaltending would be this bad...?
Probably not, also wouldn’t be scoring probably like they are either. Thought after San Jose game that was it for Lambert but they aren’t playing like a team that wants their coach fired tbh. They have to get it cleaned uo defensively without a doubt, but can’t question the effort right now they give every night.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Ullmark > Sorokin. Boston gets the extra point. That fourth goal was brutal. Killer. It’s too bad Varly is 35. He’s the hot hand you would like to run with a bit right now and let Sorokin try and find something.

Reactions: NYI365

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
This is clearly not the same game as the other blown leads.
How is this clearly different? Honest question.

I too thought they played really well until they … just didn’t. That’s how a lot of these have gone.

Multi-goal blown lead? Check.
Multiple blown leads? Check (3).
Crippling PK? Check (3 for 3).
Losing the lead in last five minutes? Check.
Questionable goaltending? Check (sorry Sorokin).
Look to be easily in control for large stretches, but suffer to poor defensive lapses? Check.

It really fit the pattern. And I do agree they look better, but this is happening literally every single game.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Probably not, also wouldn’t be scoring probably like they are either. Thought after San Jose game that was it for Lambert but they aren’t playing like a team that wants their coach fired tbh. They have to get it cleaned uo defensively without a doubt, but can’t question the effort right now they give every night.
Yeah exactly. What's strange about this team is it's so different than everything we've seen since 2019. They've completely flipped the script but this is pretty good team. Horvat trade looking better and better by the day, Holmstrom light going off, killer power play....... I'll take it all! Get the key defenseman back and hopefully some consistency from Sorokin and watch out.

Reactions: TMI

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
They played well but blowing lead after lead is simply not good enough. They have proven they can blow a lead no matter what the score and who the opponent is this season, for that kudos to the coaching staff for being consistent,

Do you watch the games? One of these blown leads is not like the other

I also post this while still being mad at TML win the other night

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lambert is gonna eventually get fired...its just a question of does it occur in season or in April or May but I really doubt he's the coach next year unless they make a deep playoff run. It unfortunately may require them falling out of playoff contention to be fired in season

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I enjoyed the game a lot and I am pretty optimistic about this season. If Pelly-Pully return even at 90%, Sorokin returns to form, and the team finds another gear in the playoffs like in Trotz years – we are contenders.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Agree with all, but I think this team is too veteran-laden with character to not be self-motivating. Also I think Horvat has made a massive difference - Both on and off the ice. Let’s remember he’s a former captain.

Now…Imagine Trotz’s defense/goaltending with the maturation of Barzal, Holmstrom, Dobson, and acquisition of Horvat. That team doesn’t get shutout against the Lightning in game 7.

When you consider that, it’s why Lane still need to GTFO.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We're scoring and the effort is there. Both very positive.

That said there's a bunch of negatives that need to be addressed. It's WAY too sloppy out there. Things directly related to coaching.

And I don't know what's up with Sorokin, but something is. He's not the same player from a year ago.
He was mediocre in the playoffs and it’s continued this season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The post by Zeeker above sums it up perfectly
Multi goal blown lead
In the first? Even Trotz teams would give that up

Multiple blown leads
What is this the dead-puck era? Whining about a blown one goal lead is nit picky as hell

Crippling Pk
I’ll give you that, that’s terrible and on coaching 100 %

Losing lead in last 5
All others games were in the last minute or so with a pulled goalie. Isles we’re hanging on for dear life. Not sure you could say that about this one

Sorokin crumbling in the 3rd
This is a problem, something is up with him

Go ahead

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Reactions: The Lighthouse

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lambert is gonna eventually get fired...its just a question of does it occur in season or in April or May but I really doubt he's the coach next year unless they make a deep playoff run. It unfortunately may require them falling out of playoff contention to be fired in season
If he is the coach of a team that gets to the playoffs back to back, kinda hard to fire the guy.

If he does get canned, then get the Chief. Isles can benefit from two GMs that made poor decisions - Armstrong his roster and cya. Mcllelan to try to run it back with a cheap alternative that the players didn’t respect and his ongoing cya with Leonais.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Ullmark > Sorokin. Boston gets the extra point. That fourth goal was brutal. Killer. It’s too bad Varly is 35. He’s the hot hand you would like to run with a bit right now and let Sorokin try and find something.
I love Sorokin but even dating back to that CAR series (Game 6 OT Goal*shudders*) he lets some bad ones in that he has to plug up.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
We're scoring and the effort is there. Both very positive.

That said there's a bunch of negatives that need to be addressed. It's WAY too sloppy out there. Things directly related to coaching.

And I don't know what's up with Sorokin, but something is. He's not the same player from a year ago.
1702700574514.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
They went 4-0-2 on the homestand and in a vacuum I'd take that any week of the year but when you tell me HOW it happened it's just a continuation of a worrisome trend for me. I've never seen the blown leads like I have in 25+ years a fan and call me chicken little all you want but historically things don't go well in the long run for teams like us

Reactions: periferal

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This is clueless if they keep playing like this.

They went 4-0-2 on the homestand and in a vacuum I'd take that any week of the year but when you tell me HOW it happened it's just a continuation of a worrisome trend for me. I've never seen the blown leads like I have in 25+ years a fan and call me chicken little all you want but historically things don't go well in the long run for teams like us
OUR blown leads
There's a site I linked that tracks blown leads by team and we are in the middle of the pack
It's a league wide phenomenon this year

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
This is clueless if they keep playing like this.

OUR blown leads
There's a site I linked that tracks blown leads by team and we are in the middle of the pack
It's a league wide phenomenon this year
Why is it a thing? Lax penalty calls leading to more PP's and more PPG's? Or is the smaller goalie gear finally having a tangible effect? Weird stat.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Entertaining game that's for sure. Nyi are close and are looking good. Some hole plugging in the 3rd and we're talking about leading the East in points. Lots of positives. LGI.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Ironic from the past like 5 years, but they now have to figure out the defense to become true contenders because the offense is capable of a deep playoff run.

Hopefully Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield can return quickly enough to get any rust off by the end of the season.

Reactions: MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Why is it a thing? Lax penalty calls leading to more PP's and more PPG's? Or is the smaller goalie gear finally having a tangible effect? Weird stat.
Average save percentage is down also, it’s trend over last few years. Everyone other than Boston has I think has at least four games they took to third with lead and didn’t get two points and we have five.

Reactions: NYI365

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I love Sorokin but even dating back to that CAR series (Game 6 OT Goal*shudders*) he lets some bad ones in that he has to plug up.
All goalies allow goals they’d like to have back. Ullmark probably wanted Romanov goal back tonight even. I think Sorokin at end of year will be right around that 924, 925 save percentage as he usually is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad