GDT: GDT #28 New York Islanders vs Anaheim Ducks | December 13th | 7:30 PM | F/W 4-3

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Want to say that despite the win, the refs missed two rather blatant penalties on the Ducks, which really affected the game. The first was a blatant slash on Palmieri on the right wing boards that caused a turnover, and the second was the Gibson trip on Gauthier. I have no idea what they were looking at on the slash on Palmieri.

About the Gibson trip - I hope we're not seeing a trend with the penalty shot trip by that Carolina mad goalie on Tkachuk (although it couldn't have happened to a more deserving player). If goalies are going to leave the crease poking their sticks wildly into feet, let 'em be fair game out of the crease. I know there are goalies on here that won't like this, and I don't care. If you miss the puck, and you cause a trip, you get a penalty. And, imo, goalies should think 3 times before doing this.

With MacTavish out, Terry was the most dangerous payer on the Ducks. He's got a great release. Ryan Strome didn't take a penalty, so I didn't really notice him. Vatrano wasn't particularly impressive, either.
Actually thought they missed a trip on Palmieri in the o-zone. Didn't like the call on Bortuzzo for that matter but that one aged a lot better ;)

Was curious what Minty would look like. I haven't really seen Anaheim play. Other than the gift PP, don't recall much.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
O

id do it but I don’t think that’s enough for CGY depending on how they view Wahlstrom.
With the cap only going up 4 m does this team need another D man making big $.

Dobson, Pulock, and Pelech are slated to play 20+ minutes - Mayfield and Romanov just under that - the 6th d man just needs to be solid and fill in the rest.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
With the cap only going up 4 m does this team need another D man making big $.

Dobson, Pulock, and Pelech are slated to play 20+ minutes - Mayfield and Romanov just under that - the 6th d man just needs to be solid and fill in the rest.

Hanifin is a luxury so he is not needed, but could you imagine that defense in front of Sorokin and Varly? Some timely scoring and we could make a legit run.

Reactions: SI90

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
If you take a penalty on the PP and the a shorty occurs you should still have to sit the penalty. It is ridiculous if you think about it.

I thought about this when it happened but then couldn't come to a good reason why the penalty should still be enforced. If Varly leaves the net and the Isles skate around for 3 minutes with an extra skater and then score, they shouldn't also get a PP.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I thought about this when it happened but then couldn't come to a good reason why the penalty should still be enforced. If Varly leaves the net and the Isles skate around for 3 minutes with an extra skater and then score, they shouldn't also get a PP.
Right? Do you want the goal, or do you want you want no longer to be shorthanded.

Reactions: 13th Floor

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Was curious what Minty would look like. I haven't really seen Anaheim play. Other than the gift PP, don't recall much.

Yeah, he doesn't look as good as he did when I saw him earlier in the year. But I bet a big reason for that is the lack of Mason MacTavish. He's good, and he makes other players better.

Reactions: crashthenet

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
While it may seem odd to go back on the PK after a penalty is called on the other team, the delayed penalty rule has to be consistent. They can't change it based on circumstances. If you score during a delayed penalty, the penalty is washed out, and that's that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, he doesn't look as good as he did when I saw him earlier in the year. But I bet a big reason for that is the lack of Mason MacTavish. He's good, and he makes other players better.

I actually liked Minty quite a bit, he was my draft crush that year and my track record on those is pretty solid. He's going to be a beast in a couple of years.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I actually liked Minty quite a bit, he was my draft crush that year and my track record on those is pretty solid. He's going to be a beast in a couple of years.
I agree. He looks very good. Just pointing out that e.g. replacing MacTavish with Strome *at center* has a big effect. I don't think the quality of their play last night was indicative of how far along they are in turning things around.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not gonna lie...almost threw my remote before this game was over. Replay on NHL.TV still had over 5 minutes showing on the broadcast, so I thought it was going to go into OT. I kept shaking my head, and when Varlamov made that save with 2 seconds to go I was like how the hell are they gonna tie this. Relieved to see it was just one of the few times the broadcast didn't end right away. Man, I was livid for no reason, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad