Post-Game Talk: GDT: #23| FLYERS at Rangers | Sat., Nov. 29, 2014

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Just got home now.

Not surprised by the result.

But Bellemare scratched? Lmao... he has been one of the few who has looked good, and has been good on the PK and constantly worked hard.

Last 3 games Vinny has played an average of less than 9 minutes a night... yet is -3 in that time with the easiest matchups. Honestly how has he not been scratched yet?

and VV continues to get ice time bringing what to this team again?
He got embarrassed by a AHL player because he refused to backcheck. He should of been stapled to the bench after that crap. But no he continued to get ice time even in a limited role. ridiculous.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Voracek said in his post game interview that Berube is the ''beast coach he's ever had''

Voracek is professional athlete ... ppl must expect words like this.

Full support of coach and managment by players is the 1st and the the most important thing in professional sport.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
At least Luke Schenn looked good today?

Agreed Luke looked good. And I thought read did as well. His skating was more fluid out there. One of the few that seemed to keep his feet moving. Not sure if it's the system or the players but when the keep moving by circling they seem faster. But over the last ten games they seem to skate to the blue line and stop or skate to the spot they are suppose be and stop. Honestly feel like that's their biggest problem. Again not sure if this is the system the coach or just laziness

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's very good reasons they haven't benched Umberger and Vinnie.

1) Once you bench them, when do you play them again and when do you bench them again, because when you concede they can't play anymore, you're going to have to glue them to the bench at some point or waive them.

2) Once you bench them, you concede the season, because there is no one who can replace their "Potential" (based on past performance) 40-50 goals. And that's a message no coach & GM wants to send his team until it is obvious that all hope is gone.

3) Benching PEB for VV sends a message without actually impacting the team, PEB hadn't been doing much the last 10 games or so, which means putting VV in for him doesn't have a real impact, but tells everyone on the 3rd and 4th lines that they'd better step it up.

4) Benching McDonald reflects the depth at D (not quality, but functional depth), playing Shultz or L Schenn over him, given his current play, again has little impact on the team but sends a message.

I predict when Hextall is ready, Umberger and Vinnie will be benched, some kids called up and some veterans moved in trades, but this may wait until January when it is obvious they can't make the playoffs and the players won't feel the FO is tanking the season. It may start earlier if they go 0-4 on the current road trip.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

1) Once you bench them, when do you play them again and when do you bench them again, because when you concede they can't play anymore, you're going to have to glue them to the bench at some point or waive them.

2) Once you bench them, you concede the season, because there is no one who can replace their "Potential" (based on past performance) 40-50 goals. And that's a message no coach & GM wants to send his team until it is obvious that all hope is gone.

3) Benching PEB for VV sends a message without actually impacting the team, PEB hadn't been doing much the last 10 games or so, which means putting VV in for him doesn't have a real impact, but tells everyone on the 3rd and 4th lines that they'd better step it up.

4) Benching McDonald reflects the depth at D (not quality, but functional depth), playing Shultz or L Schenn over him, given his current play, again has little impact on the team but sends a message.

I predict when Hextall is ready, Umberger and Vinnie will be benched, some kids called up and some veterans moved in trades, but this may wait until January when it is obvious they can't make the playoffs and the players won't feel the FO is tanking the season. It may start earlier if they go 0-4 on the current road trip.

What a joke of a defense of our joke coach. This kind of blind defense is bizarre.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

What in the world are you babbling about. This logic is so flawed that I'm starting to think you must be Berube. Nobody else would defend such idiotic actions.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Guys im sorry if this is not what you want to hear from an isles fan but from my perspective the blame has to lay with the Gm. He assembles the roster. This is the guy who gave the isles a draft pick for both streit and macdonald, two giant anchors to our defense. In what world was macdonald a top pairing defenseman? Yet he was signed and treated like one from philly. The guy making trades and his predecessor need to be shot out of a cannon so the true rebuild can begin. What clowns but i hope this sheds some light. I never hated you guys but those decisions esp te andrew macdonald one was attriotious. Esp when a year later they both turned into leddy and boychuk.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Guys im sorry if this is not what you want to hear from an isles fan but from my perspective the blame has to lay with the Gm. He assembles the roster. This is the guy who gave the isles a draft pick for both streit and macdonald, two giant anchors to our defense. In what world was macdonald a top pairing defenseman? Yet he was signed and treated like one from philly. The guy making trades and his predecessor need to be shot out of a cannon so the true rebuild can begin. What clowns but i hope this sheds some light. I never hated you guys but those decisions esp te andrew macdonald one was attriotious. Esp when a year later they both turned into leddy and boychuk.

Well first off, Holmgren isn't GM anymore, and he was the one who made both the Streit and MacDonald acquisitions/signings.

Plus, Streit's fine, he's played great 90% of the time, it's just unfortunate he's paired with Grossmann who's incapable of skating or making the simplest passes. I don't think anyone here regrets signing Streit at all.

MacDonald wasn't meant to be on the top pair, he was supposed to be on the 2nd pair. The problem was that Timonen had his career ended just before the start of the season by a blood clot in his leg. Timonen and Coburn were supposed to be the top pair, MacDonald is only there because we literally have no other options right now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Luckily that GM is gone.

Streit has been pretty great, BTW.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

I wish we had Leddy and Boychuk! They are doing mighty fine, I suppose.

Instead of constantly trading for underachieving defensemen playing for bad teams and hoping for them to flourish on our team we had better gone after some solid mid-pairing defensemen stuck on contending teams. The latter have a winning mentality and may be capable of more.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Luckily that GM is gone.

Streit has been pretty great, BTW.

He is not gone ..he got "promoted" lol...

Streit has been fine...we needed him and still do. AMac on the other hand ...well that was another of Homer's uncalled for contracts like Bryz and Vinny. We all know he was good for that...his speciality.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

The GM you speak of isn't our GM anymore and Streit has been the only consistently bright spot on our D group.

Piece of advice, don't talk of things you don't know anything about. Especially with such confidence.

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego
Apologies if this was already asked and answered (searched through threads and couldn't find anything).

Was there ever any explanation for scratching Bellemare besides lack of lineup intelligence?

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Apologies if this was already asked and answered (searched through threads and couldn't find anything).

Was there ever any explanation for scratching Bellemare besides lack of lineup intelligence?

I'm sorry I don't have the exact quotes because I don't remember where I read it (CSN Philly maybe) but Berube said he didn't think Bellemare was working hard enough along the boards and playing with the intensity he was playing with before.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I'm sorry I don't have the exact quotes because I don't remember where I read it (CSN Philly maybe) but Berube said he didn't think Bellemare was working hard enough along the boards and playing with the intensity he was playing with before.

Because RJ, Read, Vinny, and VdV are playing with so much intensity. :shakehead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What in the world are you babbling about. This logic is so flawed that I'm starting to think you must be Berube. Nobody else would defend such idiotic actions.

Don't be an ass.
What you're really *****ing about is there ARE NO REAL OPTIONS.
Go look at the Lehigh roster, see any top wingers there? Nope.
Go look at Akeson, passed through waivers without a claim, I mean, Edmonton couldn't use him?
Alt just got back from injury, Ghost is out, Morin and Sanheim are at least a year away from being NHL ready.

Hextall knows he has to blow it up, problem is he doesn't have anyone to replace the dead weight that's on the roster, and in the new cap era, other GMs aren't in a hurry to take Holmgren's contracts off his hands. So you try to hope you can turn around Umberger and Vinnie - BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY VIABLE ALTERNATIVES.

Once you sit them, you've accepted your third and fourth lines are complete ciphers offensively this year.
You can shuffle all the defensemen you want, but sit Grossman and Schenn and you're grossly undersized, play them and you're slow. Shultz and Cola aren't viable alternatives for 80 games.

This is not a matter of coaching, maybe a new coach might get you a two week "phantom" run, but talent will tell in the end, and the lack of talent is the problem. And no coaching genius can turn guys like VV and Akeson into NHL wingers, make PEB and Rinaldo more than 4th line checkers, get Umberger and Vinnie back from the dead, get Read to skate fast again, etc. And he can't create a first defensive pairing out of the guys they have on the roster.

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego

Thanks for the info. Seems rather odd to scratch a guy that has been the least of their problems. If he is trying to send a message, maybe scratch one of the 5 vets so that newer players see that people are held accountable for poor play no matter who they are? Would rather have Bellemare's speed and awareness with less intensity than someone who puts the team into the worst defensive situations possible every game.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the info. Seems rather odd to scratch a guy that has been the least of their problems. If he is trying to send a message, maybe scratch one of the 5 vets so that newer players see that people are held accountable for poor play no matter who they are? Would rather have Bellemare's speed and awareness with less intensity than someone who puts the team into the worst defensive situations possible every game.

Mind you, Berube uses the "intensity" thing as a default answer to all the team's problems and he's the same guy who thought our PK wasn't being aggressive enough. So his comments about Bellemare's intensity shouldn't mean **** honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad