Post-Game Talk: GDT: #23| FLYERS at Rangers | Sat., Nov. 29, 2014

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Congrats...you're still not a hockey genius. You made one lucky prediction.

I wouldn't call it lucky. A fair amount of people were skeptical of that signing at the very least, myself one of them. Everyone else was way overly optimistic.

No need to get mad at him for it. If he wants to gloat, gloat. He was right and it's not like we're having fun with this team right now.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Post-game quotes (source: Sam C. -- https://twitter.com/broadstbull ):

Berube on Lecavalier, who played 5:56:"He needs to work harder, needs to be a better player, needs to play with more structure & dig in more"

Berube on the benched MacDonald “He has to play better; he hasn’t moved the puck as well as he has, his intensity dropped off,â€

Where's the quote on his logic for benching PEB? Loved to hear what that dope has to say about that one

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Berube on Lecavalier, who played 5:56:"He needs to work harder, needs to be a better player, needs to play with more structure & dig in more"

Berube on the benched MacDonald “He has to play better; he hasn’t moved the puck as well as he has, his intensity dropped off,â€

half this team doesn't feel like playing for him anymore it seems.....no bueno

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Congrats...you're still not a hockey genius. You made one lucky prediction.

more than 1 lucky prediction...

06-22-2014, 02:37 PM (5 days before the draft)
:flyers
Travis Sanheim

... And I also won the Olympic and WJC pool in this forum this year. I'm certainly not a genius, but I get a lot more right than wrong about hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Where's the quote on his logic for benching PEB? Loved to hear what that dope has to say about that one

I would love to hear an answer when asked outright why Vinny or Umberger weren't scratched instead (we all know it's cause they're the vets and that's how the Flyers role) but as for why PEB was scratched at all, well that's easy: The Great Chris VandeVelde

Seriously, Chief's love for this man is beyond stupid.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Meanwhile Grossman has the worst CF% of any regular D despite getting to play with our best offensive Dman most of the time.

But for some reason he never gets benched.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Voracek said in his post game interview that Berube is the ''beast coach he's ever had''

This is Voracek's best season to date by a good amount so it's not surprising he's thrilled. I would be too. I don't expect players to be geniuses or unbiased. Psychologically you can't expect that.

I doubt that every player not named B. Schenn or Giroux feels similarly though considering every single one of them is having a down year or mediocre year or being unfairly treated in some way.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Quotes from me in that thread...

I told you guys. I told you guys. I told you guys. Almost every person in that thread told me I was wrong. Well, guess what...

Looks like I was lukewarm....didn't like the contract length. Sho...nuff....it's an "albatross" as Meltzer said it could become after a couple of years.

I thought he could pull out 18-25 goals with 30 being his upper limit. First year he got 20 (while missing time).....looks like that might be his last hurrah...and him possibly getting his 1000th NHL point with the Flyers looks like a pipe dream now :shakehead

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

I told you guys. I told you guys. I told you guys. Almost every person in that thread told me I was wrong. Well, guess what...

Well I guess Im not prophetic haha.

I was pretty biased though since I was a big Vinny fan

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
This is Voracek's best season to date by a good amount so it's not surprising he's thrilled. I would be too. I don't expect players to be geniuses or unbiased. Psychology you can't expect that.

I doubt that every player not named B. Schenn or Giroux feels similarly though considering every single one of them is having a down year or mediocre year or being unfairly treated in some way.

Yeah, I do get it. Berube has gotten these guys to be in great shape. Gotta give him that. Voracek has definitely benefited from that the most. But, Idk, it still caught me off guard. Not that I'd expect him to say he's a bad coach, or part of the problem, but he went all the way to the opposite side of the spectrum. There is a lot of dead weight on this team, and Im sure Voracek, Giroux and any other useful players can see that, so I guess it makes sense why they think the coach isn't to blame.

He's certainly not the only problem.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, I do get it. Berube has gotten these guys to be in great shape. Gotta give him that. Voracek has definitely benefited from that the most. But, Idk, it still caught me off guard. Not that I'd expect him to say he's a bad coach, or part of the problem, but he went all the way to the opposite side of the spectrum. There is a lot of dead weight on this team, and Im sure Voracek, Giroux and any other useful players can see that, so I guess it makes sense why they think the coach isn't to blame.

He's certainly not the only problem.

It's pretty rare that players blame the coach. Players always blame each other or themselves and you usually won't hear much of anything else.

Like I said before, psychologically I can't expect players to be all that smart or unbiased. Plus from a PR standpoint players almost never say anything that blasts another person in the room and rarely will they not defend their coach. Players know that coaches are at the most danger to be let go.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Looks like I was lukewarm....didn't like the contract length. Sho...nuff....it's an "albatross" as Meltzer said it could become after a couple of years.

I thought he could pull out 18-25 goals with 30 being his upper limit. First year he got 20 (while missing time).....looks like that might be his last hurrah...and him possibly getting his 1000th NHL point with the Flyers looks like a pipe dream now :shakehead

But I think you too did not think he would be a 4th liner 20 games into year 2.

If he signed for 2 years, no one would have objected...and we still all would have been wrong.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Meanwhile Grossman has the worst CF% of any regular D despite getting to play with our best offensive Dman most of the time.

But for some reason he never gets benched.

Can't bench all the suck otherwise prospects not ready get rushed or guys who are worse than Grossmann play. I mean you can't really blame Berube much. He playing the guys the GMs signed.

The real blame should go to Holmgren. I think it's understated how many years he set this team back.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
But I think you too did not think he would be a 4th liner 20 games into year 2.

If he signed for 2 years, no one would have objected...and we still all would have been wrong.

And if his deal expired this off-season I don't think anyone would care.

He also isn't playing in fourth line roles the majority of the time. Most of the games this season he gets considerable PP time and overall minutes more in line with a third liner. That's on Berube, but still if his deal were expiring then there wouldn't be much concern. Being on a two year deal also means he likely doesn't have an NMC either and is easier to deal with. All of that is a far cry from the deal he is currently on so what's the point in what you're saying? A big part of some people being down on that signing is that the length of it (plus the NMC) made the risk far outweigh anything else. That's the point.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Berube continuously blaming the players for their intensity level is very similar to Pierre McGuire when he was coaching the Whalers. Coach KNOWS he has the answers, if only the players would try hard enough!!1!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And if his deal expired this off-season I don't think anyone would care.

He also isn't playing in fourth line roles the majority of the time. Most of the games this season he gets considerable PP time and overall minutes more in line with a third liner. That's on Berube, but still if his deal were expiring then there wouldn't be much concern. Being on a two year deal also means he likely doesn't have an NMC either and is easier to deal with. All of that is a far cry from the deal he is currently on so what's the point in what you're saying? A big part of some people being down on that signing is that the length of it (plus the NMC) made the risk far outweigh anything else. That's the point.

Oh I agree with you. I was just saying that for most, a 3 year deal was fine...5 was not. And yet here we are 20 games into year 2 and he is already done. Not many would have guessed that.

I was just pointing out how bad it was....and how quickly. That's all. Not attacking your opinion at all.

We need to shame Vinny by benching him. It's sad, because he talked about training hard this offseason but his body is done.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Can't bench all the suck otherwise prospects not ready get rushed or guys who are worse than Grossmann play. I mean you can't really blame Berube much. He playing the guys the GMs signed.

The real blame should go to Holmgren. I think it's understated how many years he set this team back.

Yep. I liked a lot of what Holmgren did but everything post 2010 has been pretty much wall to wall awful. We've not got a hope of competing for at least three years.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just got home now.

Not surprised by the result.

But Bellemare scratched? Lmao... he has been one of the few who has looked good, and has been good on the PK and constantly worked hard.

Last 3 games Vinny has played an average of less than 9 minutes a night... yet is -3 in that time with the easiest matchups. Honestly how has he not been scratched yet?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Just got home now.

Not surprised by the result.

But Bellemare scratched? Lmao... he has been one of the few who has looked good, and has been good on the PK and constantly worked hard.

Last 3 games Vinny has played an average of less than 9 minutes a night... yet is -3 in that time with the easiest matchups. Honestly how has he not been scratched yet?

I had the exact same reaction. Missed the game and even forgot it was on, but then saw Bellemare was scratched and just though "wow...this is a new level of idiotic low for Berube".

I honestly think that Vinny is a liability if he's even dressed and seeing any ice-time. At this point I firmly believe he should just be scratched night-in and night-out until he shows signs of improvement or the Flyers just ditch him entirely (whether that be through a permanent benching until Lecavalier waivers his NMC or a buyout, doesn't matter). He's managing to still be a bother and rack up minuses even with fourth line duties. So just bench him and be ****ing done with it at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad