GDT: GDT #1 Ducks @ Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I think there was more good than bad. They lost, but any game where Perry gets a hat trick and the PP scores two goals, isn't that bad.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Rakell looks like a pro carrying the puck through the neutral zone, then he usually makes a bad choice. Today, he had speed thru the neutral zone on a PP in the 3rd, but for some reason he veered off and eventually the possession fizzled out. At another point, he was on a break with Silf and waited too long to pass. In the offensive zone, he'll look like really good driving to the net or protecting the puck, but seldom does he really create a good scoring chance. I like the kid, and have faith in him, but I don't think he's close to being a dangerous player right now.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
what about Vatanen guys.

is he a big part of the team this year?

a regular on the pp?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
ANNOYING FANTASY HOCKEY RELATED QUESTION(S) INCOMING:

Which line (#) did Maroon play on tonight + who were his linemates? Where do you think he fits moving forward? Thanks.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
ANNOYING FANTASY HOCKEY RELATED QUESTION(S) INCOMING:

Which line (#) did Maroon play on tonight + who were his linemates? Where do you think he fits moving forward? Thanks.

He played with Getz/Perry tonight and from what we've seen should be a fixture with either them or with Kesler when Heatley comes back. Although, with BB as the coach if your name isn't Getz/Perry/Kesler you might be on a different line every game.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Rakell looks like a pro carrying the puck through the neutral zone, then he usually makes a bad choice. Today, he had speed thru the neutral zone on a PP in the 3rd, but for some reason he veered off and eventually the possession fizzled out. At another point, he was on a break with Silf and waited too long to pass. In the offensive zone, he'll look like really good driving to the net or protecting the puck, but seldom does he really create a good scoring chance. I like the kid, and have faith in him, but I don't think he's close to being a dangerous player right now.

Watched only highlights so can`t comment on the whole performance. But one partticular moment stod out for me - Hornqvist went on Rakell pretty fast to hit only to end up bounce off him, Rakell didn`t seem too troubled about it and skated away while Hornqvist was down himself.

I think Rakells strenght was his issue last couple of seasons in NHL but now he`s over 200lbs and seems doing good. I really hope he figures out his offensive zone decision making then he could become a very good player!

Last edited by a moderator:

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Granted, first game of the season, but initial thoughts:

1. Kesler is a beast.
2. Stoner was better than expected.
3. Vatanen got burnt/outmuscled a lot. Looked OK on PP.
4. Gibson did not have a great game.
5. Thompson was OK+ (that's better than OK, but not great ;)).
6. Rakell's defensive game was lacking. Occasionally impressed with carry.
7. Etem seems like he's got no confidence, which is sad because I like the kid.

Both Rakell and Etem looked better last year the few games they played, and had decent chemistry when they played together IMO. Hopefully they can bounce back.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I just dont understand how Stoner is an NHL defensman. He has to have the worse poise i've seen. I'd take Allen over him easily.

I completely disagree and he made the right call on Crosby's second goal I think. On a 2 on 1 break a defenseman should cut off the pass and let the goalie seal off the entire shooter's side (which Gibson didn't do. All he had to do was cover Crosby's angle and seal off the corner. There's no way he'd hit the right side at that angle). That's what I was taught growing up (in water polo too)...at least the defensemen on my teams. The expectation is that a shooter will almost never get it through a wall of goalie body mass. But challenge the puck carrier and you risk him getting the puck over to the second man rushing leaving the goalie swimming. Stoner looked just fine tonight. Fowler, Lovejoy, and Beauchemin had me concerned.

That and Allen was a hot mess in the preseason. At worst Stoner was mediocre, but Allen made disastrous miscues all preseason long.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I thought Stoner was OK. He doesn't have very much ability. Decent skater, big hitter, can fight a little. That's about it

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I completely disagree and he made the right call on Crosby's second goal I think. On a 2 on 1 break a defenseman should cut off the pass and let the goalie seal off the entire shooter's side (which Gibson didn't do. All he had to do was cover Crosby's angle and seal off the corner. There's no way he'd hit the right side at that angle). That's what I was taught growing up (in water polo too)...at least the defensemen on my teams. The expectation is that a shooter will almost never get it through a wall of goalie body mass. But challenge the puck carrier and you risk him getting the puck over to the second man rushing leaving the goalie swimming. Stoner looked just fine tonight. Fowler, Lovejoy, and Beauchemin had me concerned.

That and Allen was a hot mess in the preseason. At worst Stoner was mediocre, but Allen made disastrous miscues all preseason long.

I'm more concerned about when he does get the puck in the D zone. He has zero composure and just throws it off the boards to no one. We already have Lovejoy and Francois to a degree doing that all the time. In todays NHL you need defensman that can either skate away from trouble or at least move the puck to someone who can transition us to offense. Also what happens when he gets the puck in the offensive zone? Nothing. Nothing will ever happen offensively. So what is he going to bring to this team? Knock a couple people out of the crease? I really think he will be benched before not too long.

Oct 18, 2011
I'm more concerned about when he does get the puck in the D zone. He has zero composure and just throws it off the boards to no one. We already have Lovejoy and Francois to a degree doing that all the time. In todays NHL you need defensman that can either skate away from trouble or at least move the puck to someone who can transition us to offense. Also what happens when he gets the puck in the offensive zone? Nothing. Nothing will ever happen offensively. So what is he going to bring to this team? Knock a couple people out of the crease? I really think he will be benched before not too long.
i'm with you
you can't ice so many dmen with below average puck moving abilities

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Stoner had one of the slickest transitions that I saw in the entire preseason. I hadn't seen a Duck make a play like that since Lubo was manning the blue line.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think he played like a top pairing guy or anything but he did fine.

The problem is that he brings nothing positive to the team though other than physical play. Beauch, Stoner, Lovejoy all make awful decisions with the puck.

What is the point of having them 3, Fistric, and Allen all on the roster?

It's not totally our defenses fault, but it's not a good enough group if Lindholm regresses at all we're ****ed...Which is scary.

The coaching is a large issue when it comes to defense I think. Some of the goals being given up can be easily prevented if the forwards would be in better position (not just the young guys either). Also BB put Vatanen and Stoner out there together on the PP against Crosby which is idiotic.

Hopefully we can get Palmieri and Heatley back and spread out some of the experience. Slide Maroon down to the 2nd line with Palmieri, and have Cogs babysit Rakell/Karlsson and Silfverberg. Have DSP play a 4th line role with Beleskey and Thompson. And put Etem on a bus to Norfolk.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lovejoy would irk me a lot less if he just didn't ice the puck do often, and so unnecessarily. I mean, that was the first goal right there. He forced a defensive zone face-off with our most defensively suspect line, and it just wasn't necessary. Had it been any other line we probably get away with it. How can you be so unaware?

Of course, the boneheaded decision of the night was putting Stoner/Vatanen on the ice, not just during a PK, but during a PK that was facing the best player in the world. I can't wrap my head around that one. I want to believe there was more to it, but I can't figure it out.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Well that was ****ing awful, yet not surprising for Anaheim given their record on opening nights. The defence was all over the shop, Vatanen trying to step up on the PK that led to a 3v1 goal summed it up - hopefully he isn't put out there again because it's just a dumb decision by BB to even try it, there's no need for it when all your other defencemen can play the PK just fine. Gibson's rebound control has to be a ton better, granted he got no help from the defence but he spits them out more then Hiller, and that's a problem going back to last season too. However it was good to see him bounce back with some good saves after 2 bad goals given up (would of liked to of seen the reaction to the 2 goals with Hiller in net :laugh:)

Have to say I get more worried when I watch Etem at the NHL level if he can actually transition to a good NHL pro, I'd put money on him being the first one down when Heatley and Palms are ready to go.

On the good things: PP looked great (minus Getzlaf's pass at start of 3rd). Kesler is going to be a huge addition, for a guy who Vancouver fans said that he can't playmake he sure did show some great passes. Maroon looked solid too until late in the game, his strength is ridiculous. Good for Pears to get the hatty.

At least the new broadcast graphics looked good I guess.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I have no idea what you're even talking about. Except for Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf, most players got way more criticism than Sami last night..

I didin't even talk about it the way you think. I earlier already stated that I haven't yet seen the whole game and I didin't reply to any possible critique on him after this game. I said that by comments, he looks like he is only good on PP, otherwise.. not so.. It wasn't being bitter about it.

My self said:
I didin't boost Vatanen here or comment /whine about any critique on him regarding this game. I haven't seen the game yet neither.

At this point, I just keep looking forward. Don't worry, I dont think Vatanen is above criticism. But I will keep saying positives about him though, if he does something well to my eye. I probably won't be as active in criticizing him but if you think I haven't ever bashed Finnish hockey players in this league or NT, you are wrong. I happen to believe in Vatanen. It has something to do with Nationality that I like him so much, but it's more that I believe in him. He will be important player for this team very likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I didin't even talk about it the way you think. I earlier already stated that I haven't yet seen the whole game and I didin't reply to any possible critique on him after this game. I said that by comments, he looks like he is only good on PP, otherwise.. not so.. It wasn't being bitter about it.
Well, it certainly seemed like you were bitter about him getting criticism. And on a night when a lot of our young guys got way more hate - whether it's our golden boy Gibson or local youngster Etem. There's going to be nights when Sami will see criticism, but last night wasn't that bad in that regard. :)

At this point, I just keep looking forward. Don't worry, I dont think Vatanen is above criticism. But I will keep saying positives about him though, if he does something well to my eye. I probably won't be as active in criticizing him but if you think I haven't ever bashed Finnish hockey players in this league or NT, you are wrong. I happen to believe in Vatanen. It has something to do with Nationality that I like him so much, but it's more that I believe in him. He will be important player for this team very likely.
There's nothing wrong with that. :) Most Ducks fans feel he'll be important for us, too. And you're surely free to add your perspective in regards to him whenever you feel like. But you surely understand that when you comment on a game you admittedly had not seen and highlight the criticism he got - although it was quite tame for him compared to others - that kinds of sends an odd message. :)

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
This thread is about how the Ducks looked awful last night (except for the pp, Perry and Kesler). What does this have to do with Teemu and Vatanen, other than how the latter played last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad