GDT 04-08-2016 CBJ vs. Buffalo Sabres

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Here is the issue for this season.

DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!

CBJ have scored 214 goals going into their last game. This puts them middle of the pack.

However, they have given up 248 goals. Only Calgary has given up more goals , and Edmonton has given up 7 fewer.

Now in my book, there is no way Bob, Korpi, or even CMac are so bad that that is all on them. The problem for this team this season has been defense, and that is where JD, and JK need to start their fix. Sadly, re-signing Prout doesn't make me confident they will get it done. His +3 last night was an anomaly. Only thing I can figure is Torts really believes he can fix that guy.

And as far as the game goes......Meh.

I am typing this as it snows like hell outside. :(

I am in this camp as well. Our blueline must improve for this team to go forward.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am in this camp as well. Our blueline must improve for this team to go forward.

While I'm sure the blueline needs to improve I think part of the responsibility for the defensive fiasco can be put on the forwards as well. When they are playing well and back checking well the D is much more effective. I didn't see that kind of effort consistently throughout the season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
While I'm sure the blueline needs to improve I think part of the responsibility for the defensive fiasco can be put on the forwards as well. When they are playing well and back checking well the D is much more effective. I didn't see that kind of effort consistently throughout the season.

And some, myself included, have said that what issues there are with the offense stems from the lack of support from the blueliners. Combine those two and what do you have?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

tumblr_n5jipuZK8z1r295ako2_250.gif

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The signing of Prout just baffles me. This guy Kukan seems to provide a very reasonable third pairing guy who actually understands what a defenseman is supposed to do.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here is the issue for this season.

DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!

CBJ have scored 214 goals going into their last game. This puts them middle of the pack.

However, they have given up 248 goals. Only Calgary has given up more goals , and Edmonton has given up 7 fewer.

Now in my book, there is no way Bob, Korpi, or even CMac are so bad that that is all on them. The problem for this team this season has been defense, and that is where JD, and JK need to start their fix. Sadly, re-signing Prout doesn't make me confident they will get it done. His +3 last night was an anomaly. Only thing I can figure is Torts really believes he can fix that guy.

And as far as the game goes......Meh.

I am typing this as it snows like hell outside. :(

I'm obviously in agreement.

I'd agree that we have to look past just the D to get team D where it needs to be. It's not that the D is good, but it's in a place where there isn't a whole lot of room for upgrade (assuming we can't convince Jarmo to dump Prout) at the moment, and there is more that can be done as a team.

I'm not sure that you're right that it's a matter of backchecking. I see more failures in terms of just puck possession.

Here's two stats we need to help assess this- that I don't have time to pull together right now. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Team offensive zone time / defensive zone time.

Team CF% is sometimes a good proxy for this, but I want the real zone time stats. I suspect that it will show the Jackets just spend too much time without the puck and stuck in their own end. If that's the case then it's all the more remarkable that this team manages to score so much given how little they have the puck.

I think possession failure for the Jackets can largely be attributed to poor passing, but that's just my guess.

Goals against per game by month (or any other time breakdown)

This is a simple exercise I just got to go to work. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad