Gay (LGBT) posters on HFBoards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Not sure what exactly you mean by this but anyways..

I can understand that it can be frustrating if someone says it's "wrong" or gay marriage is wrong but some gay people have to know everyone is entitled to their opinions. Getting really defensive about someone's opinion bothers me.
Opinions lead to public policy. It's really that simple and it shouldn't be difficult to understand. You are entitled to your opinion up until the point where you lobby to violate individual sovereignty.

Secondly, widespread negative opinions regarding homosexuality and/or other subsets of individuals leads to dehumanization, which is conducive to ostracism, bullying, and even violence.

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong about gay marriage. There is something wrong with making a straight person feel uncomfortable by talking sexually and being really open anywhere other than around your partner/other gay people.
You equate this with gay individuals but I've always experienced this more with straight individuals. Have you ever talked about experiences you've had with women in the presence of somebody who might be gay? Have you ever witnessed other straight individuals who have done the same?

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Don't really feel comfortable with gay males, but I am fine with gay females. I think this is because I don't want gay guys to feel attracted to me. In fact I don't even want them checking me out to see if I am attractive, I find it weird.

I don't choose this, it's just what is natural to me.

-Straight male

Who says they would check you out anyways? Do you check out every single woman on the street?

That's the weirdest things I find with these comments. Don't flatter yourself, okay.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Who says they would check you out anyways? Do you check out every single woman on the street?

That's the weirdest things I find with these comments. Don't flatter yourself, okay.

Reminds me of the picture where the, I think it was a football player, makes his coming out statement in the yearbook.. at the end it says something like "who says you're even attractive anyways?"..

I mean, I'm for people having self-confidence.. but just because a person is gay, it doesn't mean they're attracted to EVERY person of the same gender!! Same way men aren't attracted to EVERY woman, or every woman isn't attracted to EVERY guy. It's simple.

Not trying to be egotistical, but i've had guys tell me they found me attractive.. and while there was the initial shock that is received regardless if it's a guy or girl, it was ****ing amazing for my confidence that another person (who happened to be a guy) found me attractive. Doesn't mean you turn them on, they just like the way you look.

Hell, i'm in a relationship with a woman, but even then, her and I discuss which males are attractive. I have a man-crush on Johnny Depp, all my friends know it, my family knows it, I don't give a ****. He's a gorgeous man. Doesn't mean I want to be with him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

A lot of straight men want to act like the Mad Men in the office but now that they are supposed to be tolerant of homosexuals, they fear that one day gay men will treat them how they treat women :laugh:

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

It's natural, people observe each other. It's science, trying to find the right mating partner. You don't do it consciously. Just because you check someone out doesn't mean they are attractive so relax, i'm not trying to be cocky.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
Recently a friend of mine started coming to pick up hockey. I haven't seen him in about six years from high school. He naturally came to sit by me and we got to talking and he said he's gay now. Which was a big reason he was nervous to commit to a beer league team. I told him it was nonsense, we live in a small town and people are pretty open. Needless to say, He's not my line mate on my beer league team and he told people in the dressing room he's gay and if they're uncomfortable with it he can change in the refs spare room. His remark was met with a lot of scoffing and joking as everyone said just sit down and get changed. haha I can only hope it's this easy for everyone else. I'm glad hockey has started to be a more open minded sport. It's sad that he was so nervous to sign up and missed playing the game he loved the last few years.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Peoples homosexuality doesnt affect my ability to live my life, so it's their right to do as they please. My wifes two best friends are gay and i think theyre amazing people. I do have a serious question though, so please don't judge. From a gay persons point of view, is the main issue not being allowed to be "married"? Or is it that you are denied rights granted to married heterosexual couples?

Edit: I'm also from a very supporting area, and my high school had the opportunity to stand up against the WBC

Last edited:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Peoples homosexuality doesnt affect my ability to live my life, so it's their right to do as they please. My wifes two best friends are gay and i think theyre amazing people. I do have a serious question though, so please don't judge. From a gay persons point of view, is the main issue not being allowed to be "married"? Or is it that you are denied rights granted to married heterosexual couples?

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the State is involved in marriage whatsoever. That being said, if the State is going to subsidize marriage then it ought to be done in the most inclusive manner possible.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
We're going to wrap this thread up. It's gotten quite political and although we do have a political forum I'm not entirely sure that some of the people that have made comments in this thread would be comfortable having their comments viewed and responded to in that sub-forum.

Sorry, but that's all she wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad