Gay (LGBT) posters on HFBoards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Given the effort to deter homophobia in the world of hockey in recent years, it got me wondering whether or not there are members of the LGBT community on HFBoards. As a straight ally of the LGBT community in Toronto, I think it's important to introduce this topic into our hockey world one step at a time.

http://youcanplayproject.org/

Are there any gay hockey fans on here?

:)

Last edited:

17DropThePuck17

Dec 18, 2010
Ontario
*raises hand*

We're everywhere, and we're sometimes cloaked so we can walk freely among you! :)

I'm here reading more than I am posting (as you can tell by my pitiful post count) but I am here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Polo*

*raises hand*

We're everywhere, and we're sometimes cloaked so we can walk freely among you! :)

I'm here reading more than I am posting (as you can tell by my pitiful post count) but I am here.

im bisexual

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
I don't have an issue with sexualities except the transgender sexuality. For me it's the only one that seems to inherently pose sociological issues.

For me, and this may be ignorant, if you're born a man you're a man. I completely understand that you identify as a woman, and respect that, but you have to understand that you're genetically male. If you pursue a relationship, which you may view as an opposite sex relationship, you're truly pursuing a same sex relationship.

Ultimately in this scenario it is up to the transgender individual to be forthcoming with their partners, but I'd imagine a lot of transgender persons would hide the fact that they're transgender since they believe they're the sex that they present themselves as, or fear rejection. I'd imagine, perhaps ignorantly so, that a large majority of heterosexual individuals would not engage in a relationship with a transgender person if they knew their sexuality beforehand. And if their longtime partner came out as transgender down the road, they may indeed terminate the relationship, this could be attributed to the trust issues that would go with something like this, aside from the physical issues.

Again, as a very particular example, if you are born a male but identify as a female, I don't think you should be allowed to compete in female sports. Just because you identify as a female, that does not mean you can play in a female hockey league. You are genetically a man, you have bigger bones, bigger muscles, lower percentage of fat, and generally larger frames. Currently there is an issue in the MMA world where a transgender person that identifies as a female, though born a male, and she wants to compete in the female fighting division. Which, in my opinion, is completely absurd.

Regarding persons whom are gay or lesbian, I don't give a **** that you're homosexual, just like I don't care if someone is heterosexual. Do whatever you want, love who ever you want, doesn't make a lick of difference to me. They should be allowed to participate in anything a heterosexual person can.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Edit: Gay people do not bother me.

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I'm straight. Don't really care for gay people. It's up to them how they live their life. The only downside is one day I'm going to have to explain to my son why two men are holding hands in public.

You can tell him that they are naturally attracted to people of the same sex. The younger the child is when the topic is broached, the better and less awkward the result.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
I don't have an issue with sexualities except the transgender sexuality. For me it's the only one that seems to inherently pose sociological issues.

Does this mean you believe that we should prevent people from under going an operation that they feel is best for them? Statistics show that a great majority of people that have had a transgender operation do not regret it. Should we take that possibility away from them?

I am not sure if things are as straight forward as you believe. Topics of sex and gender (generally within gender studies these are not seen as the same thing) are very complicated and I think it takes much more evidence than we currently have to take away an individual's right to do what they want with their own body. I could not imagine what it would feel like to feel as though I was trapped within a body of the wrong sex and I am not going to suggest that these people are somehow mistaken and we should make such personal decisions for them.

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
I'm straight. Don't really care for gay people. It's up to them how they live their life. The only downside is one day I'm going to have to explain to my son why two men are holding hands in public.

Why is this a problem? My girlfriend's brother is gay. When I have kids, and they ask why they have two uncles all I have to do is say that they love each other. Who a person loves isn't a problem at all and if you have a hard time explaining that to someone, then it is you who has the problem, not the two people that are in love.

Conveniently enough, I was just listening to this.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009

Is this really a downside? "Son (or daughter), these people are holding hands because they love each other." I think in the 21st century this is a fairly easy thing to accept. In fact it was also an easy thing to accept for people in 400 BC in ancient Greece and who knows how many other times and places.

*Bob Richards*

This might sound outlandish, bear with me, but perhaps you can tell him that those two people love each other.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
Jesus, calm down people. I don't hate gay people.

I will tell them that it's two people that love each other. Problem solved.

PS. I don't actually have a son, just saying for the day that I do.

Corey Perry*

I'm cool with gay people, except these types:

Seriously though, as long as you're a good person, you're fine with me!

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'm cool with gay people, except these types:

:laugh:

What's funny is how straight people tend to never realize how openly they talk about how straight they are. It happens almost every other sentence. Even verbage is used about pointing out heterosexuality.

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia

Scroll up a bit and you can see where you said "I don't care for gay people" and that it was going to be a problem when you had to tell your son why two men were holding hands. Pardon us, but that sounds slightly homophobic, and in a community (meaning HFBoards) that pretty strongly supports the You Can Play movement, that isn't going to fly.

However, if you aren't really aware of the way society is changing, and want to be be better informed, go and check this link out. http://youcanplayproject.org/pages/our-cause

It is very enlightening and helps get rid of ignorance. If you still think that it's a problem that two men love each other, then I'm sorry but you are part of the problem, not the gay couple.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009

But you don't really care for them. Why, I have no idea. The only groups of people I can think of that I don't really care for are out spoken racists, homophobics, etc. I know that some gay people can be annoying, but annoying people are everywhere. Don't let a stereotype ruin a whole mass of people for you. I highly doubt you would ever say "I don't really care for asians" for instance.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It is very enlightening and helps get rid of ignorance. If you still think that it's a problem that two men love each other, then I'm sorry but you are part of the problem, not the gay couple.

I think he likely just used his words poorly.

It's a bit of a "culture shock" for some, especially those raised Christian to explain open homosexuality. Even those who accept homosexuals, they don't know how they can explain something they are not. It's like a Canadiens fan trying to explain to their son why the next door neighbour is a Maple Leafs fan :laugh:

We've come a long way in the last 50 years digging ourselves out of what the Spaniards established so many hundred years ago.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
For ****s sake. I meant that they don't bother me. :laugh:

seanerixon

Personally, I never really cared. A friend of mine I play with is bisexual. He plays hockey, that's all I care about lol, his personal business is none of mine. I feel sexuality is for a more private life. I don't go around spanking women on the arse. I casually speak to them, then it goes from there. I treat a man the same, but it doesn't go as far, lol. Kind of sad that people have an issue with this still, to this day. Even the race card. I hope one day it will all be finally played out.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
For ****s sake. I meant that they don't bother me. :laugh:

Surely you can see why people were calling you out. It's just the kind of carelessness and poorly chosen words that really doesn't look good. As for myself I am not gay but when I see a gay person I know feel bad because of similar things said right in front of them it makes me upset. It is much more prevalent than it should be and people should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad