Confirmed with Link: Gawanke to SJS

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
For a draft and develop team, we're not developing a lot of guys lately

Understandably frustrating, but a core tenant of a draft and develop team is to develop players that are better than the people that are already on the NHL roster. That is equal parts on the player, the scouts, the coaches, and the GM. The only players that have developed to a degree better than the players that are already on the team are on the fringes, or are hamstrung by cap hits.

God that back end is a f***ing mess for contracts, and they need to address that this off season. They need to get rid of at least one vet and two waiver eligible players. You can't keep all of Stanley, Heinola, and Chisholm.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He looks like he is a very good skater that moves the puck really well. He might have some potential as an NHL dmen. He's still pretty young.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Understandably frustrating, but a core tenant of a draft and develop team is to develop players that are better than the people that are already on the NHL roster. That is equal parts on the player, the scouts, the coaches, and the GM. The only players that have developed to a degree better than the players that are already on the team are on the fringes, or are hamstrung by cap hits.

God that back end is a f***ing mess for contracts, and they need to address that this off season. They need to get rid of at least one vet and two waiver eligible players. You can't keep all of Stanley, Heinola, and Chisholm.

I mean we got a younger prospect with better pedigree for him. I don't mind that we added a prospect with a bit more runway for development.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dudes AHL stats are impressive

This move lhd ahl Russian suggests Ville and Chis could be on the big club and they are going to definitely be moving out some d

It might under some circumstances. Under these, I think it just means getting something for Gawanke while the getting is good. I doubt Chevy had a variety of other offers to choose from.

That said, this looks like an upgrade. A younger, 2 way Dman in exchange for an older one who was more 1 dimensional.

I assume SJS wanted a RHD with some offense and that they plan on giving him a shot.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Huh, a poster was pretty adamant arguing against me guaranteeing that no team would take a flyer on him.

Oh nevermind Gawanke just signed a 4 year deal with Adler Mannheim in May so we are just moving his rights for a player we can use with the Moose.

Yeah and Gawanke just signed a 4 year deal in the DEL in May so unlikely he's planning on returning to NA anytime soon.
NHL and DEL have a transfer agreement, unlike the NHL and KHL. Pretty easy to get him out of it if Gawanke and the Sharks both want him here.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Come what may, this trade is a welcome one for both parties. The bridge was thoroughly burned to a crisp, so it's better for Gawanke to get a fresh start and for us to get a younger prospect for him.

Now, it's up to the organisation to not repeat the same mistake again with other prospects.
So what was the mistake? Him not developing higher than 12 on the depth chart? He isn’t even a top AHL defensemen never mind an actual NHLer.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
They bought a year of waiver eligibility here. A former second round pick with solid AHL numbers. No idea about him but makes sense in terms of control.
There would have to be a lot of hoops jumped through for him to get the opportunity though. Stanley, Chisholm, and Heinola are arguably all ahead and they're all vying for gametime that's probably not available yet (barring a trade obviously).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There would have to be a lot of hoops jumped through for him to get the opportunity though. Stanley, Chisholm, and Heinola are arguably all ahead and they're all vying for gametime that's probably not available yet (barring a trade obviously).

True but he's more depth and we will just have to see how things play out.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
have to figure some LHD are on their way out. (from Dillon, Stanley, and Heinola).

I must say, I'm having a hard time getting used to my new avatar. When I scroll and see it, my first thought is "who is this f***ing joker!"

It feels like he is staring into my soul everytime I see that avatar.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So what was the mistake? Him not developing higher than 12 on the depth chart? He isn’t even a top AHL defensemen never mind an actual NHLer.
Refusing to give prospects chances with the Jets and opting for acquisitions of veterans instead. Gawanke is obviously the only one to have vocally expressed his thoughts about it, but he surely isn't the only one in the same boat. Kovacevic was lost to waivers, Chisholm might go the same route, Heinola is up next in a year's time. Do we go 4 for 4, or can we actually get some of them in the show?

And before someone goes "bu-but they weren't good enough, that's why they didn't get chances!", would you rather be wrong and see us promote our own prospects, or be right and not see our prospects get to the NHL? You can endlessly give veterans the roles because they are proven and prospects aren't and be right (at least technically), but that does no good in the long run. We've done just that for the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
have to figure some LHD are on their way out. (from Dillon, Stanley, and Heinola).

I must say, I'm having a hard time getting used to my new avatar. When I scroll and see it, my first thought is "who is this f***ing joker!"
Guy definitely likes his craft beer.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

There's our answer.

sir-patrick-stewart-patrick-stewart.gif

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Anyone know anything about incoming player and where he slots on depth chart?
22, had him confused with Knyzhov at first, small-ish (6'0") puck moving defenseman. San Jose obviously thinks there isn't a future there. All in all it's a nice return for Gawanke who wasn't coming back under any circumstances, as evidenced by his 4 year DEL deal. Scout reports praise his skating but I haven't watched him myself. Happy to have him, he's more than I expected to get back, happy Gawanke will get a shot somewhere.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Huh, a poster was pretty adamant arguing against me guaranteeing that no team would take a flyer on him.

I'll preface this by saying it's entirely hyperbolic but he could become a 30-40 point defender in the NHL and you'd still have people saying it was the right move to never give him a shot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Yea half the posters are arrogance and that's how the Hfboard forum works
Never admit you are wrong about the projection of a player if you are proven wrong later

Reactions: DRW204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad