Gaunce developing leadership skills after return to Belleville

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

It took a couple of days for Vancouver Canucks’ 2012 first-round draft pick Brendan Gaunce to get over the surreal experience of suiting up with guys that he had previously only seen as pixels or images on a TV screen. But it’s all part of the growing process for the 19-year-old centre and will help in his continued development as one of the OHL’s top players.

“It’s kind of crazy to see the guys that you watched on TV for so long and now you get to skate with them. After a while you just get used to it — it’s still hockey after all.… read more

More...

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I've been high on this kid from day one. I think he's going to be our 3rd line Center for years to come.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Really impressed me at camp. Its nice to think that we have 2 teenage centers in our system who look like they will be able to play in our top 9 for many years going forward

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
He looked like he saw the game well enough and has good size. He just needs to get his pace up to a higher level to really be an effective bottom six player. I'd also like to see flashes of assertiveness from him. He seemed to play a very cautious game in training camp.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Much better suited on the wing and his play when moved there showed that

As a young player moving up to the NHL, it is ALWAYS going to be easier to move to the wing. It does attest to his versatility as a player though.

I could see him being a solid 3C, along with being able to move up and down the lineup to fill any needs we have

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
He has really disappointed so far in Belleville. Has not dominated like he should be. Really seems to be going through the motions and not stepping up.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
what leadership, i read from some bulls fans that he looks kinda disinterested this year

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
In his look in the preseason this year, I'll agree that Gaunce did look better on the wing. If he does make a move there, he certainly won't be the last player to play center in junior then move to the wing. A lot of the time though its because that's the fastest track to the NHL as its a lot less responsibility, learning to be a center at the NHL level will come with a lot of growing pains.

He has NHL size and perhaps the team doesn't project him as that all-around 3rd or 2nd line type center. If they think he's more effective as a role player perhaps a shift to the wing would be best as it would allow him to focus on playing as a physical role player and develop at the NHL level without hurting the team.

TwoHeadedBoy

Dec 21, 2012
probably because he wants to play for NHL and nothing to prove in junior?

He has a lot more to prove in junior. He's never been more than a PPG. That's pretty respectable but unless he shows more offensive improvement it's hard to imagine his ceiling being higher than a third liner. He needs to dominate junior.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He's not going to wow you with skill, but looks like he'll be a steady, dependable top-9 guy.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Gaunce does not wow me. Hopefully he can carve a niche as a 3rd line centre in the future, but I fully expect him to stay in the AHL for a couple years before possibly making the team.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I was hoping he would use this year to develop his creativity on offense... haven't been able to watch any games yet, but it's disappointing to hear this isn't the case.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I thought he was impressive for a 19 year old in the pre season games, Im glad he will one day be in our bottom 6 at least.

Guy could probably play on our 4th line right now. Hopefully we see him get moved to a contender.

And this quote:

“I, heh, I don’t usually play as Belleville,†he said, adding — with a sheepish grin, “But, yeah, I have…â€

And was that video game version of Gaunce an accurate representation of his abilities? “Sure, yeah,†he said – not at all convincingly.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad