Gaunce developing leadership skills after return to Belleville

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
O yea, that's what we need... Leadership from our 19 year old soon-to-be AHLer.

If he develops puck skills or aggressiveness, that is something I'd like to know.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was hoping he would use this year to develop his creativity on offense... haven't been able to watch any games yet, but it's disappointing to hear this isn't the case.

Personally, i'm of the opine that 'creativity' on offense isn't really something players can 'work on developing', at least...not at that late in the game.

Developing the confidence to do more offensively 'creative' things, sure...and that's what we're all hoping for with a guy like Horvat. Him building on his confidence in trying things and making plays offensively.

But with a guy like Gaunce...i just don't think the creativity is there to 'unleash'. And it's what made a guy like Gaunce a 'low upside' pick from the start. It is what it is, and he could very well be a solid bottom-6er for us in the future...maybe even a guy who can play the odd shifts on the 2nd line wing as a 'complimentary player' a la Chris Higgins or David Clarkson, etc. But the offensive creativity just doesn't seem to be there for Gaunce to ever be a real '2nd line mainstay' imo.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I don't mind that Gaunce will be a solid 3rd liner mainstay if he develops to his potential.

Goodness knows we need one of those as seen since the departure of Malholtra.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Guy could probably play on our 4th line right now. Hopefully we see him get moved to a contender.

And this quote:

:laugh:

Reminds me of when I interviewed him last year and asked him if he knew what his overall rating was. When I told him he kinda cringed and said "there's not really much I can do about it so..."

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
I think this interview shows how the lockout & lack of training camp last year really hurt guys like Gaunce.
He's saying the same things Horvat is. Learned just how hard the guys in the NHL work, realizes just how much faster the NHL game is. Has to work on being quicker.
These are things he should of learned last year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He plays way smarter offensively than Pyatt does.

He does, and it gives me hope for that 2nd line upside. The other facet of his game that gets overlooked when determining upside is how his game changes from C to W. Gaunce is more aggressive on the wing. Not as concerned about position and willing to take more risks in the offense zone. As a result, I think his offense translates better on the ice.

Gaunce may top out as a 3C, but that does not exclude the possibility that he becomes a 2LW IMO.

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
I think this interview shows how the lockout & lack of training camp last year really hurt guys like Gaunce.
He's saying the same things Horvat is. Learned just how hard the guys in the NHL work, realizes just how much faster the NHL game is. Has to work on being quicker.
These are things he should of learned last year.

How? Remember the strike and the lack of a training camp?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Gaunce gets quicker he could be a real solid third line center for us. I think the 3C position is underrated... very important to a teams success.

I like Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk....not too sold on Jensen..seems like he has all the tools and the toolbox to go along with it..but he seems to lack the fire, desire that the other three guys have.

My ideal line up in 2 or 3 years.
Sedin Sedin Kassian (hopefully Sedins are still ppg players)
Shinkaruk Kesler UFA like Vanek ..or solid scoring winger
Burrows Horvat Hansen ..two-way line
Higgins Gaunce whomever

Something like that would contend now, but at the same time also utilize youth and promote development.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It must be the system that he plays in Belleville because it seems like no can break out of that team and score.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
This notion that creativity creates more offense is pretty overblown. A play might look prettier but that doesn't mean it is more likely to result in a goal. A simpler play could be just as effective.

From what I've seen from Gaunce's play around the net in his preseason stint, it is a power game focused on simple strong/quick passing and getting shots in close around the net. He protects the puck well, passes it off quickly and gets to the net at the right times. This is the type of game that leads to success in the NHL.

He could be the type of winger that pushes a 2nd line over the top but he could also fill in at 2C/3C thanks to his high IQ. I think his offense is tailor-made for the show, his defensive positioning is excellent but he just needs to up his conditioning and his tempo to keep up with the speed of NHL players.

StringerBell

It'll be interesting to see what Torts can do with him when (if?) he eventually makes the team. Right now he would probably be the most passive player on a roster the coach is trying to transform into aggressive battlers.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
It'll be interesting to see what Torts can do with him when (if?) he eventually makes the team. Right now he would probably be the most passive player on a roster the coach is trying to transform into aggressive battlers.

Is "Gaunce is passive" the new "Gaunce is slow"? I didn't get the memo.

StringerBell

Is "Gaunce is passive" the new "Gaunce is slow"? I didn't get the memo.

I like Gaunce as a prospect and I'm not trying to take anything away from him, I just want to see how he would fare in an aggressive system like Torts'. From what I've seen he keeps a very active stick but prefers to play positionally sound off the puck to take away options, whereas Torts likes more pressure. I think Torts will be good for him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Gaunce may top out as a 3C, but that does not exclude the possibility that he becomes a 2LW IMO.

I've been thinking this too. Certainly he has the shot to score goals so he has a chance to produce as much as he does now, if not more. Putting him on the wing seems to free him up from that cautious, safe attitude he seems to play with.

Reminds me of when I interviewed him last year and asked him if he knew what his overall rating was. When I told him he kinda cringed and said "there's not really much I can do about it so..."

Poor guy. :laugh:

This notion that creativity creates more offense is pretty overblown. A play might look prettier but that doesn't mean it is more likely to result in a goal. A simpler play could be just as effective.

From what I've seen from Gaunce's play around the net in his preseason stint, it is a power game focused on simple strong/quick passing and getting shots in close around the net. He protects the puck well, passes it off quickly and gets to the net at the right times. This is the type of game that leads to success in the NHL.

He could be the type of winger that pushes a 2nd line over the top but he could also fill in at 2C/3C thanks to his high IQ. I think his offense is tailor-made for the show, his defensive positioning is excellent but he just needs to up his conditioning and his tempo to keep up with the speed of NHL players.

Fully agreed. It's not as though he's some mucker with no vision, incapable of creating plays. You need those simple goals in the playoffs too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If he becomes a smarter Pyatt, then GMMG and the scouting staff did an excellent job at that draft.
I'll be disappointed if he turns into Pyatt. He has way more upside, IMO.

And I don't agree with the whole "he's too passive!" arguments. His style is just fine-- He just needs to develop physically and get better and better at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad