Gaunce at WJC Summer Camp (UPD: Horvat and Shinkaruk as well)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well Gillis has gone on record and said that the team needs more prospects making the team to make efficient use of the cap. Next season will be a big one for kinds to make teh big club. I expect Shroeder to be a regular and Jensen/Gaunce will have very good looks.

Corrado is almost seeming like a sure thing right now too.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Will you give me 20:1 odds?

10+ reg season games and doesn't get sent back to junior I'll give do 20:1. You can have my vcash. (I was referring to the Canucks, I think the thread name got tweaked).

For the Jnrs team, I'd say 80% if he's not on the Canucks. Good utility forwards with size.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
Hope he doesnt get traded like our previous future captain.:sarcasm:

Don't worry, the idiot coach that ruined that relationship (same guy that ruined the relationship with Millie Mitchell) will likely be fired this year.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
20-25% chance.

HC likes the style of play that Gaunce brings to the table, could be a 3rd-4th line center next year, but I have a feeling politics could get in the way, (as they usually do at the WJC's for Team Canada). *Cough* Corrado *Cough* Wotherspoon *Cough*

Gaunce has played for Hockey Canada before though, so he's on the right side of the political BS.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
20-25% chance.

HC likes the style of play that Gaunce brings to the table, could be a 3rd-4th line center next year, but I have a feeling politics could get in the way, (as they usually do at the WJC's for Team Canada). *Cough* Corrado *Cough* Wotherspoon *Cough*
Well, Gaunce should be able to fare better than Corrado in the politics department considering he's a 1st round pick and not a 5th rounder.

That and I think Hockey Canada realized what a bumbling mistake they made by not picking Corrado. Hell, even Spott realized his bad and traded for Corrado to the Rangers.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Gaunce has a good future, but when you look around the juniors there are a lot of players that are a head of him for the junior depth chart

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gaunce has a good future, but when you look around the juniors there are a lot of players that are a head of him for the junior depth chart

depending on what they want to do he could find himself on the roster. If you just want to take the 13 best forwards then sure, he probably won't make it, but as a defensive player I could see it.

Similar to a guy like Bergeron for the Olympics (not saying Gaunce is or will ever be of his caliber, just that although he isnt a top 13 forward doesnt mean he wont make it)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

You gotta think Mackinnon, Drouin and maybe Monahan and/or Shinkaruk could be up with their big clubs next year, moving him up the depth chart.

I'm drawing a complete blank on forwards drafted last year who would be ahead of him but could be with their NHL clubs.
edit: Thought of one! Tom Wilson.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I would move him up to an AHL team and I would lets him play there until he puts up good points same with Jensen. You cannot rush these guys if you want them to be good. But I would play them in the pre-season to see how they do.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I would move him up to an AHL team and I would lets him play there until he puts up good points same with Jensen. You cannot rush these guys if you want them to be good. But I would play them in the pre-season to see how they do.

I don't think he's eliglible for the AHL next year.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009

We can't, Gaunce isn't 20 yet, he's not allowed to play in the AHL. He either plays in the OHL or the NHL next year.

arsmaster*

You gotta think Mackinnon, Drouin and maybe Monahan and/or Shinkaruk could be up with their big clubs next year, moving him up the depth chart.

I'm drawing a complete blank on forwards drafted last year who would be ahead of him but could be with their NHL clubs.
edit: Thought of one! Tom Wilson.

Charles Hudon and Scott Laughton, along with Wilson are the only ones who'll be ahead of him.

Laughton and Wilson will probably be in the show though.

2012 draft was horrible for Canada.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Gaunce has previously played for Canada, so he'll have a great oppertunity, and if he does make the Canucks you can almost guarantee they'd let him play in the world juniors. Gillis values that tournament highly for experience.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I would think that Gaunce is the type of player a Brent Sutter coached team would want to have on it. He is very versatile.

I wouldn't be shocked if he at least gets the 9 game treatment from the Canucks this year. I suspect that the team will have a number of ELC or under 24 guys added this season. Most teams are going to have young guys on their rosters this season to get around the rollback on the cap. Buyouts only help so much. I could see quite a few aged guys in the 35+ category either having to take much less salary or be forced out this year.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
If i'm not mistaken I believe I heard that Torts has an affinity to giving young players a good look with the big club among his vets in order to develop them more.

I may have misheard some analysis regarding this, but I think that's what he did in TB, and NY to some extent respectively.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
If i'm not mistaken I believe I heard that Torts has an affinity to giving young players a good look with the big club among his vets in order to develop them more.

I may have misheard some analysis regarding this, but I think that's what he did in TB, and NY to some extent respectively.

He definitely will play young guys if they can play in the league, but most of the guys that got that shot in NYR had an extra season or two in either junior, college or the AHL. NYR has actually been pretty good on not rushing guys, but they do get a legit chance when it is time.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
This is a great opportunity for him and I seriously would give him 2-3 years before he plays for us. Jensen I would play him in the AHL then give him a shot next season but I say he still has a chance this year.

EDIT: Funny thing I didn't even know I posted in this thread before. :facepalm:

Another thing so we play him in the OHL for one more year since he will be 19 and then turning 20. Then play him in the AHL for two years and enters the NHL at 22 or 23.

Last edited:

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
he's definitely going to make it, i heard he's the next logan couture or something like that

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
depending on what they want to do he could find himself on the roster. If you just want to take the 13 best forwards then sure, he probably won't make it, but as a defensive player I could see it.

Similar to a guy like Bergeron for the Olympics (not saying Gaunce is or will ever be of his caliber, just that although he isnt a top 13 forward doesnt mean he wont make it)

My feeling as well.

It's in Sweden so the big ice might work against him as better skaters might be ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad