Gaunce at WJC Summer Camp (UPD: Horvat and Shinkaruk as well)

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
My feeling as well.

It's in Sweden so the big ice might work against him as better skaters might be ahead of him.

It's not that he's a bad skater, it's just he could be a better skater as his technique is not very good. It's definitely something he'll work on this summer.

arsmaster*

My feeling as well.

It's in Sweden so the big ice might work against him as better skaters might be ahead of him.

He plays on big ice 34 times a year.

You'd think he'd have a better grasp at effective big ice strategies than most of the staff.

He's no lock, but he can provide a team with a lot of flexibility, with how he can play C and W, as well as his big body and excellent FO and PK abilities.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
I think all 3 have great chance. Shinkaruk is probably close to a lock, as he was at camp last year and was one of the final cuts. Horvat and Gaunce play such smart strong games I'd suprised if they didn't make it as well. How sweet would that be!!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Would be awesome to see all three make it. Hunter's skating will most definitely be a plus seeing as it's on big ice no?

Love watching the World Juniors and having Canuck prospects play for Canada will only make it more enjoyable to watch

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Would be awesome to see all three make it. Hunter's skating will most definitely be a plus seeing as it's on big ice no?

Love watching the World Juniors and having Canuck prospects play for Canada will only make it more enjoyable to watch

It's been a while. Hodgson and Kassian (I guess) were the last ones. Then before that.. Bourdon? (RIP)

Corrado got ripped last year though.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It's been a while. Hodgson and Kassian (I guess) were the last ones. Then before that.. Bourdon? (RIP)

Corrado got ripped last year though.

Hodgson for sure, Kassian obviously wasn't Canucks property at the time so I dunno. Bordon absolutely. Having multiple candidates this year will be very exciting.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I think all 3 have great chance. Shinkaruk is probably close to a lock, as he was at camp last year and was one of the final cuts. Horvat and Gaunce play such smart strong games I'd suprised if they didn't make it as well. How sweet would that be!!

I hope Horvat make it because of his OHL playoff performance.......surely they want him? They also use Gaunce as well......imagine all three make the team would a dream come true

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
I hope Horvat make it because of his OHL playoff performance.......surely they want him? They also use Gaunce as well......imagine all three make the team would a dream come true

So NO Chance at seeing Subban? Maybe he has a Very Strong start to the OHL year and gets invited? Couldn't Imagine us having 4 players for team Canada :handclap: :yo: I'll be happy with 2

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Is Corrado still eligible?

And how about Jensen, will Denmark be represented or did they get relegated?

For any WJHC, you simply disgard any player drafted 2 drafts ago.

2013 draftees are mostly 18 in 2013 (exception being those with a Sept 16 to Dec 31 birthday)
2012 draftees are mostly 19 in 2013 (again exception for those born between Sept 16 to Dec 31)

Automatically, all 2011 draftees are not eligible. Therefore, Jensen and Corrado, as 2011 picks are not going.

Eric Staal was a 2003 draftee along with the other studs from that draft, but he was not eligible because he has a late birthday, as he turned 20 in 2004, thus couldn't be part of that dominant team.

This is Hunter Shinkaruk's last shot at the tournament. He's a late birthday as well, born October 1994. Turns 20 in 2014, so won't be around for the 2015 tournament.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think Gaunce will be a captain on the team (probably alternate) with Bo Hovat having an outside chance at being one too.

Anyways I'm excited, there is a great chance we have all 3 on the team, it will make the tournament interesting cause last years was so boring, I was more interested in watching the other teams for prospects then I was in watching Canada as a passionate fan. And I love this country to death.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How many players do we have a "chance" to be on the world juniors this year?

Gaunce
Hunter
Bo

Anybody else? what about our foreign prospects?

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
How many players do we have a "chance" to be on the world juniors this year?

Gaunce
Hunter
Bo

Anybody else? what about our foreign prospects?

Subban has a chance, but he needs an absolutely domininating 1st quarter.

Cederholm possible for Sweden. Unsure. Spent time in the SEL last season

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
All 3 have a good chance of making the squad.

I don't think that's ever happened, 3 Canucks on the WJC squad.

I can't even remember a year where there were 2 Canucks on the team at the same time let alone 3.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC

I can't even remember a year where there were 2 Canucks on the team at the same time let alone 3.

I can think of two on the Swedish WJC team... hehe.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver

I think one year they had Druken, Bouck and Allen or something like that.

edit: They actually had a good run of being represented in consecutive years. Schaefer, Cooke + Holden in, Bouck + Reid.

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Getting to watch up to three Canuck prospects play in the WJC will certainly brighten my Christmas. I still can't believe we added Horvat and Shinkaruk!

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Subban has a chance, but he needs an absolutely domininating 1st quarter.

Cederholm possible for Sweden. Unsure. Spent time in the SEL last season

Oh I didn't think about Cederholm, any Swedish posters around to weigh in on what their depth chart looks like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->