Speculation: Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Paying the right guys is so important. Gaudreau is awesome, but I want him to be be my 2nd best player, not the face of my franchise.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If McDavid asks for 15 million, its because he is the best player on the planet when he does. And that is something to smile about.

What the other poster was trying to say, that if McDavid gets that much, than there is, less for others. He did not say anything about McDavid not being the best player.

He'll also make more per season than anyone else in hockey. The Players Association wouldn't allow him to take a deal less than most per season at the time of signing.

He'll also be worth it.

Can they do that?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He'll also make more per season than anyone else in hockey. The Players Association wouldn't allow him to take a deal less than most per season at the time of signing.

He'll also be worth it.

Not sure if I understand what you are suggesting, but the PA doesn't tell players what to sign for and they don't have the authority to approve or negate deals. If McDavid decided to sign for 1 million per year there is nothing they can do about it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You don't win with a small winger being your best player. Even Kane had Keith and Toews.

The Flames have a good #1C it looks like, and they have 2 great young defensemen. I agree that you can't build completely around a winger and be successful, but the Flames won't be building around only one player. Their core moving forward is obviously Gaudreau-Monahan-Brodie-Hamilton, and probably Bennett. You can build a solid team around a core that has 2 defensemen, 2 centers and a top tier winger. They just need a long term goalie and to fill in the missing pieces around them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If McDavid asks for 15 million, its because he is the best player on the planet when he does. And that is something to smile about.

We all love McDavid but that's absurd. He better have won the Art Ross by a landslide in Gretzkyesque fashion if he's demanding $5M more per year than the highest paid player in the league. I don't think he's that greedy and seems like the type who will take a bit of a discount to accomodate the team so I can see something in the $9-$9.7M range next offseason.

Anyway, it's pretty simple. The Flames and Gaudreau will settle for something between $7-$7.5M/yr and he'll be well worth it. Don't see what the big deal is.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The Flames have a good #1C it looks like, and they have 2 great young defensemen. I agree that you can't build completely around a winger and be successful, but the Flames won't be building around only one player. Their core moving forward is obviously Gaudreau-Monahan-Brodie-Hamilton, and probably Bennett. You can build a solid team around a core that has 2 defensemen, 2 centers and a top tier winger. They just need a long term goalie and to fill in the missing pieces around them.

Oh I agree. But I also agree that Bennett or Brodie need to be as good or better than Gaudreau in order for us to be contenders.

If it's Gaudreau by a mile we won't be nearly as effective. Gaudreau needs to be on our 2nd line and we have to have a 1st line scary enough to take off some pressure.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You don't win with a small winger being your best player. Even Kane had Keith and Toews.

Don't buy that, if a player is very good, than you will win with him, big or small, if the Flames can built a good team around Gaudreau, than they will win, if Kane had, Keith and Toews, than Gaudreau, has Monahan, Bennett, Brodie and Giordano. This is not the NBA, where one player can win everything, for you, hockey is more of a team game.

Personally I don' think that Gaudreau, will be the face of the Flames(a lot will disagree with me), I think it will be Bennett, when he fully develops, he will be a 80-85 point, very good two way center, who can play both ends of the ice, carry the team and win in the playoffs.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Don't buy that, if a player is very good, than you will win with him, big or small, if the Flames can built a good team around Gaudreau, than they will win, if Kane had, Keith and Toews, than Gaudreau, has Monahan, Bennett, Brodie and Giordano. This is not the NBA, where one player can win everything, for you, hockey is more of a team game.

Personally I don' think that Gaudreau, will be the face of the Flames(a lot will disagree with me), I think it will be Bennett, when he fully develops, he will be a 80-85 point, very good two way center, who can play both ends of the ice, carry the team and win in the playoffs.

Chicago's last cup, Keith was their best player. Before last year almost everyone thought Toews was better as well.

Gaudreau can be our Kane. Brodie can be our Keith. We need Monahan or Bennett to be our Toews. They aren't there right now. Hopefully that model still works in two or three years haha. We just aren't built like the Penguins.

Last edited:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Not sure if I understand what you are suggesting, but the PA doesn't tell players what to sign for and they don't have the authority to approve or negate deals. If McDavid decided to sign for 1 million per year there is nothing they can do about it.

You don't think the Players Association and Agents discuss contracts previous to sending them to the NHL office? If McDavid were to sign a deal for 1 mill a season he'd be a marked man. Every NHL team would use that salary in their negotiations with their players. It would drive salaries down while owners revenue would go up. It's the exact opposite of what the PA wants, their star players being paid market value.

They wouldn't need to do anything about it, the members would take it out on McDavid. The only players that would commend McDavid for taking a salary less than market value are those players locked into long-term contracts

Can they do that?

No, they can't (legally)

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014

But Kane (argument can be made for Keith) is the best player on that team?

There is no correlation with height and being a good player. Gaudreau could easily be the best player on a Cup winning team, but he'd need a good cast...just like every other team.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Oh I agree. But I also agree that Bennett or Brodie need to be as good or better than Gaudreau in order for us to be contenders.

If it's Gaudreau by a mile we won't be nearly as effective. Gaudreau needs to be on our 2nd line and we have to have a 1st line scary enough to take off some pressure.

If it is Gaudreau by a mile, than the Flames will still win, Gaudreau is a number 1 winger, the Flames have some very good pieces, they just need to fill them out. Patrick Kane(very similar to Gaudreau) is Chicago's best player and he is a winger and with Patrick Kane as their best player, Chicago has, done ok:sarcasm: for themselves over the last 7-8 years.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Gaudreau has more leverage. More cap space to work with.

With no arbitration rights or the ability to be offersheeted? What exactly can he threaten the Flames with? I'm gonna sit out for a year?

They won't believe him.

Kucherov and the KHL however, the Lightning would believe.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Kucherov has more leverage. Johnny isn't going to use the KHL to try and get them to cave.

Kucherov isn't going to the KHL, He's not a flight risk. Kucherov loves it to much in Tampa he will be playing in Tampa Bay for the foreseeable future. It's just his agent trying to get more out of Yzerman. Both Stamkos and Hedman took hometown discounts to stay and try to keep the core together but it sounds like Kucherov wants to get paid just like Gaudreau and who can blame them.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I've been saying for a while now I'm happy if he takes a Tarasenko deal.

Kid tied for 6th in scoring in his second NHL season and had a rookie season where he was the runner up for the Calder with 64 points in his first season.

Anything under the Tarasenko deal is just gravy if we can lock him up for that term.

Gaudreau is not worth Tarasenko.
I have a feeling Gaudreau just had his career year - I don't get that same feeling for Tasasenko

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
C'mon guys let's wait and see how he does this year before committing long term. Lots of players have career years and then drop off. Not going to lie, would love to have him in a Canucks uniform but to give him 8 million is a bit early imo

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Kucherov isn't going to the KHL, He's not a flight risk. Kucherov loves it to much in Tampa he will be playing in Tampa Bay for the foreseeable future. It's just his agent trying to get more out of Yzerman. Both Stamkos and Hedman took hometown discounts to stay and try to keep the core together but it sounds like Kucherov wants to get paid just like Gaudreau and who can blame them.

I never said he would, I said he has more leverage to get what he wants out of the Lightning because the KHL is a viable option for him. He could get paid what he wants and play at home.

Johnny doesn't have a KHL to threaten the Flames with so it will be harder for him to get them to give in to his demands.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Gaudreau is not worth Tarasenko.
I have a feeling Gaudreau just had his career year - I don't get that same feeling for Tasasenko

While Gaudreau looked really good, Ebs also looked like a star player in his 2nd year before signing that 6 x 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad