Friedman: Gaudreau negotiations will be put on hold during World Cup

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Gaudreau and Monahan will sign for 8 x 10.5 each, book it. They're basically Kane and Toews according to HF Boards, right?

Are you being intentionally obtuse? RFA vs UFA, history of success, and so on and so forth. Please try not to post things that are a complete waste of bandwidth next time; HFBoards will be better for it.

Monahan is represented by Newport, just wanted to highlight that.

Oh great.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Monahan is represented by Newport, just wanted to highlight that.

Ouff. That could be a big issue. Not only could they make a case for 7.5, his own teammate and linemate could get that.

Honestly with Newport its getting to point where if you can avoid a player represented by them all together, you go that route

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ouff. That could be a big issue. Not only could they make a case for 7.5, his own teammate and linemate could get that.

Honestly with Newport its getting to point where if you can avoid a player represented by them all together, you go that route

Treliving said something really interesting in a recent radio interview when asked about negotiations. He said they were close, etc. and it was just about finding something that worked for "both... well, all three, parties."

Makes it sound a lot like the agents are the reasons nothing has gone through, yet. From everything Monahan and Gaudreau have said on the matter (and I don't think either has particularly good BS capabilities) they probably could've been signed to sub-7 contracts by now if there weren't agents involved.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Very well might not be all that interested in staying with the Flames.

Wasn't it obvious after the 2011 draft lottery when it was determined the Flames would hold the 104th pick in the draft? The look on his face when the camera panned over... it was obvious he was devastated.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think he wants to be in Calgary, just not sure he wants to be there for 8 years.

That's my guess as to the holdup. Treliving is probably pushing pretty hard on 8 year term. Unless Burke is involved. Then I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to nickel and dime.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
This could get ugly for Calgary. Having great young players comes with its caveats.

It's obvious that Gaudreau wants 8+ million (probably an identical contract to what Stamkos received). Monahan will want whatever Gaudreau gets, and that would put the Flames in cap trouble for this particular season.

If Gaudreau accepts $7 million, it's probably a "bridge contract" with no term, which Calgary doesn't want. Calgary doesn't want both Monahan and Gaudreau on short-term deals, which could end up costing the Flames big time on the next contract if these players perform well - and by all indications they will.

Calgary also has to be concerned that if Bennett has a break-out season (60+ points), he could ask for a massive raise as well... Luckily Wideman's $5.25m is coming off the books next year and should account for Bennett's raise.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Treliving said something really interesting in a recent radio interview when asked about negotiations. He said they were close, etc. and it was just about finding something that worked for "both... well, all three, parties."

Makes it sound a lot like the agents are the reasons nothing has gone through, yet. From everything Monahan and Gaudreau have said on the matter (and I don't think either has particularly good BS capabilities) they probably could've been signed to sub-7 contracts by now if there weren't agents involved.

I really don't understand why star players use agents. If you are a star player, just look at what other star players are getting and ask for that. If the team offers less, you can still accept less on account of not having to pay your agent.

These players just need accountants.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't understand how reading an article confirming Gaudreau's participation in the World Cup without a contract leads to trade talk.
There's absolutely nothing in the article suggesting anything of that sort.

See under "Trouba, Jacob".

Hey, while everyone is focused here, why not ramp up the trade offers for Monahan, Ristolainen and Lindholm. Obviously, they all want out and are on the trade block, too.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think he wants to be in Calgary, just not sure he wants to be there for 8 years.

That's my guess as to the holdup. Treliving is probably pushing pretty hard on 8 year term. Unless Burke is involved. Then I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to nickel and dime.

From the sounds of it here the delay is because Gaudreau isn't all that actively involved in the negotiation he trusting his agent to get something done, then he'll sign what's put in front of him; meanwhile Johnny's agent is playing hardball to maximize his star client.

From the Calgary Sun when they asked him about this"

"Instead of the eight-year ... perhaps he’d push more for a three or four year stint with an exit strategy.

Not so, says Johnny Hockey.

“ I’m 22 years old and I’ve been away from home since I was 17, going back in the summer and I’m used to it by now ... One of the reasons I can stay in Calgary so long is because I can go home every summer and spend time with my family out east.” "

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
See under "Trouba, Jacob".

Hey, while everyone is focused here, why not ramp up the trade offers for Monahan, Ristolainen and Lindholm. Obviously, they all want out and are on the trade block, too.

might as well drop Ceci in the mix as well Whileee

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I really don't understand why star players use agents. If you are a star player, just look at what other star players are getting and ask for that. If the team offers less, you can still accept less on account of not having to pay your agent.

These players just need accountants.

Some players don't (e.g. Ovechkin) but agents theoretically do a lot for a player. They'll pick these kids up when they're in their teens and help them get exposure, they may deal with sponsorship situations, and if the player goes UFA, the agent can field the potentially dozens of offers and go back and forth between teams.

In a situation like Gaudreau's I don't think an agent should be necessary, but I can see the utility of them. I just kinda hate agents because my guess is they care more about money than the players do in many cases.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Who really knows what the hold up in these situations are but if I had to guess I'd say Treliving wants Gaudreau locked in for 6-8 years and Johnny is looking for more in the 4-5 range, good amount of term but still leaves him the option to go where he wants for prime UFA years in his late 20's.

Monaghan being repped by Newport is pretty self explanatory, they have a reputation as being tough negotiators. I could see him going for max term in the mid 6 range.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

You can say this about any agent/agency.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Ultimatelty, I'm guessing it comes down to the team wanting 8 year term, the players wanting 5-6 to really cash in big on a third contract, and Treliving saying if it's less term they aren't getting as much cap hit as they want to make up for the lesser term. Something like offering 7.5 on an 8 year deal, but not offering exactly so high on a 5 year.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It's about time another RFA got the collective focus on them. Been waiting all summer for this.

Jets fans are trying to draw a parallel between their young number 4 dman with reasonably high upside's lack of contract (as an rfa) directly to the flames young top 5 winger in the league who's going to focus on a tournament.

No idea why they think the situation is connected but they are desperate to act as though "eastern fans" are going to lowball him because of his contract status.

Not all jets fans of course, just the really desperate ones who popped up in this thread right away for some reason.

No, the only thing we're commenting on is despite the number of RFAs that are currently unsigned in the league, it seems all the focus has been directed on one Jacob Trouba. We are simply welcoming Calgary to the clown show.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad