Gaudreau, Debrincat, Arvidsson's seasons

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m not sure it’s necessarily a small player thing. You could probably find three big players who are also slumping.
Kane, Marchand,Point, Zuccareli and Marner seem to be doing fine this year as smaller players and some of the small D like Q. Hughes are also doing well.
The only one of those three listed in the OP that has a real track record of producing in the NHL is Gaudreau so I’d say it’s mainly one player under achieving rather than a trend.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He’s 26. You’re acting like he already had an amazing career. He had an amazing year last year, several decent years but he will always be known as a guy who couldn’t reach superstar status and couldn’t get it done. He also whines more than Sid, but isn’t half as good.

Prove me wrong dude, because you saying he’s .95 ppg for the first few years of his career means nothing especially when you get smoked in the first round when you’re one of the West’s favorites and Gaudreau is still yelling at the ref’s from the handshake line. Remember that?

Overrated whiney little brat that falls apart as soon as he faces any adversity. Your best player is far and away Tkachuk because he is effective at all times. If Gaudreau can’t score he’s useless, and I’ve seen more than a few Calgary fans say that.

Cool story. Thornton and the Sharks will be remembered as bigger chokers who constantly fell in the face of adversity.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
This thread needs more Cam Atkinson and Jeff Skinner. Both hit the 40 goal mark last season and are now at 12 and 11 respectively. The NHL is just weird sometimes and these anomalies happen.

Down years affect almost everyone. Even Patrick Kane had that rough year with 70 points in 2018 and exploded for another career year the season after. Wouldn’t be surprised if all these guys had considerably better seasons in 20-21.

Reactions: amnesiac

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau had a slow first half, certainly wasn't playing his best hockey. That playoff last year broke like the entire flames team.

But he's got 17 points in his last 18 games despite playing alongside a deteriorating Sean Monahan. He's been playing great hockey lately, could legitimately have 3+ goals and 8+ points, he's blown a few breakaways and Monahan hasn't been finishing point blank chances.

Also hurts that he's carrying a career low sh% of 8.2%. His career average is 50% higher, meaning he'd be at 21 goals if he was hitting his average. Yet he still leads the team in scoring.

I have a feeling that he'll continue his strong play down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Debrincat looks like the victim of shooting percentage, while Arvidsson has lost time to injury - wouldn't be surprised if he did start declining though.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Gaudreau is having a bad season.

DeBrincat isn't a 40 goal scorer.

Arvidsson had a ridiculous shooting percentage during the stretch he seemed he scored every game.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Arvidsson got cross checked in the back two times by Bortuzzo and was injured. Seems it bothers him still. Also Nashville's offense has been crap this year. Arvidsson is a sniper and no one on that roster is able to feed him anything.
Those three definitely overachieved last year (especially Arvidsson and DeBrincat), it's not too surprising to see their goals drop a bit
Explain to all me in your own words, how it's possible for an individual to over achieve.

I'll wait.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Anybody else see the OP and think this was a GeorgeLeafer thread?

I argued with him so much last offseason that DeBrincat was a prime regression candidate, he kept telling me there was no way DeBrincat wouldn’t hit 50 goals because he thinks linear progression is a guarantee.

Not happy DeBrincat is awful this year, but also not surprised he’s not living up to last year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau had a great last year. That’s it. That guy is so overrated at the NHL level but maybe if he would shut the **** up for half the game he might have time to play hockey.
Yes. Completely overrated. :sarcasm:

Drafted in 2011 and has scored 434 points in 454 games and 3rd in scoring in the 2011 draft class despite playing 166 fewer games than Landeskog who has 442 pts and is 2nd on the list. First on the list is Kucherov with 503 GP (50 more than Gaudreau) and 532 points.
Given those 50 more games Gaudreau's pt total would likely be 470+ pts which would put him in 2nd place behind Kucherov. Not bad in comparison to Kucherov... but then I suppose you think Kucherove is overrated.

P.S. Don't bother responding. I know your shtick with regards to Gaudreau and the Flames in general. Arguing with you about either is pointless. You will never change your mind.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Yes. Completely overrated. :sarcasm:

Drafted in 2011 and has scored 434 points in 454 games and 3rd in scoring in the 2011 draft class despite playing 166 fewer games than Landeskog who has 442 pts and is 2nd on the list. First on the list is Kucherov with 503 GP (50 more than Gaudreau) and 532 points.
Given those 50 more games Gaudreau's pt total would likely be 470+ pts which would put him in 2nd place behind Kucherov. Not bad in comparison to Kucherov... but then I suppose you think Kucherove is overrated.

P.S. Don't bother responding. I know your shtick with regards to Gaudreau and the Flames in general. Arguing with you about either is pointless. You will never change your mind.
I do think Kucherov is overrated, any other questions? You guys are putting these players on Crosby-like pedestal because you like them a lot. Wait a few years before you say he’s a superstar, because if he never has a season like he had last year again you’re going to be calling him a disappointment in a few years, especially if you never win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad