Gaudreau, Debrincat, Arvidsson's seasons

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
3 of the smallest players in the game coming off career years last season (especially goalscoring), have all regressed quite a bit this season.

Gaudreau: 36G to 14G (currently)
Debrincat: 41G to 13G
Arividsson: 34G/58GP to 12G/44GP

Coincidence, or have teams figured out how to shut them down?

Last edited:

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Everyone and their mother had career years last season. Scoring was way up, it was always obvious many players across all teams would regress.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Arvidsson is a 60 point player who had a great year last year and is having a poor year this year and has a 5% drop in shooting percentage along with the Predators being kind of awful this season (their defense are the only guys having good years).

Debrincat has a shooting percentage about 1/3 of his percentage last year (this years likely unsustainably low, last year unsustainably high).

Gaudreau has played poorly his percentages are down but a lot of it is just him playing poorly, which he seems to be somewhat snapping out of (finally). The Flames as a whole have been very bad too.

Overall I think it has little to no bearing on small players in general and to add to that the only thing similar about these players is their size. Debrincat is a pure sniper, great shot knows how to use it. Arvidsson has a very good shot but plays are more north, south game (I don't see the Preds enough to verify but I'm guessing he scores most of his goals off the rush because he's a very fast skater). Gaudreau is a playmaker 1st and foremost dudes shot is weak he's just a really good player and (usually) gets lots of chances so he can put up 25-30.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Arvidsson is a 60 point player who had a great year last year and is having a poor year this year and has a 5% drop in shooting percentage along with the Predators being kind of awful this season (their defense are the only guys having good years).

I wish that were true. :cry:

Arvidsson was injured earlier in the season so at least he has that as an excuse, but still, most of our team aside from a handful of guys have been crap.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I wish that were true. :cry:

Arvidsson was injured earlier in the season so at least he has that as an excuse, but still, most of our team aside from a handful of guys have been crap.
Yeah my bad when I said defense I was mainly thinking Josi and Ellis (who I forgot was injured).

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Gaudreau had a great last year. That’s it. That guy is so overrated at the NHL level but maybe if he would shut the **** up for half the game he might have time to play hockey.

What a stupid post. Hes having a bad season yet that erases his near PPG career. 0.95...

So overrated right?

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I don't watch those 3 enough to comment on them specifically, but sometimes with the smaller players, they eventually take that one hit(or more than one) that makes them timid and they play a different game than the one that had made them effective.

Look at Keller. He played with fire in his rookie season. He was like a mini-MacKinnon the way he'd go into traffic, straight to the net, find a way to get a good shot off. Since then, his game has gone to hell. He stays to the outside, always looks for someone else to do the dirty work, takes the easy play instead of the right play. They haven't changed coaches in that time so it's not coaching, not that any coach would say "play a more passive game, stay to the outside, and always make the easy play". He's obviously just:

Reactions: tucker3434

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
As a Flames fan I think in the case of Johnny he’s just having an off year ... he is getting a lot of opportunities but the puck luck seems to be tilted the wrong way for sure this year .... I think a lot of it is mental and he will eventually work it out .... he also looks like he has bulked up a bit and maybe his skills aren’t quite adjusted to his new body yet , that’s just my own speculation but it seems he is starting to come around as of late ....

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
What a stupid post. Hes having a bad season yet that erases his near PPG career. 0.95...

So overrated right?

He’s 26. You’re acting like he already had an amazing career. He had an amazing year last year, several decent years but he will always be known as a guy who couldn’t reach superstar status and couldn’t get it done. He also whines more than Sid, but isn’t half as good.

Prove me wrong dude, because you saying he’s .95 ppg for the first few years of his career means nothing especially when you get smoked in the first round when you’re one of the West’s favorites and Gaudreau is still yelling at the ref’s from the handshake line. Remember that?

Overrated whiney little brat that falls apart as soon as he faces any adversity. Your best player is far and away Tkachuk because he is effective at all times. If Gaudreau can’t score he’s useless, and I’ve seen more than a few Calgary fans say that.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
He’s 26. You’re acting like he already had an amazing career. He had an amazing year last year, several decent years but he will always be known as a guy who couldn’t reach superstar status and couldn’t get it done. He also whines more than Sid, but isn’t half as good.

Prove me wrong dude, because you saying he’s .95 ppg for the first few years of his career means nothing especially when you get smoked in the first round when you’re one of the West’s favorites and Gaudreau is still yelling at the ref’s from the handshake line. Remember that?

Overrated whiney little brat that falls apart as soon as he faces any adversity. Your best player is far and away Tkachuk because he is effective at all times. If Gaudreau can’t score he’s useless, and I’ve seen more than a few Calgary fans say that.
[mod] :huh:

Last year the whole team was brutal in the playoffs outside of Smith. But of course the blame falls on Johnny. Are Flames fans frustrated with him this year? Sure. But you are severely underrating him.

Yes he’s 26 but he’s had a very strong career so far. Don’t pin the Flames playoff success to one player. It’s a team game and he’s done a fair share of caring the offensive play for several years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
[mod] :huh:

Last year the whole team was brutal in the playoffs outside of Smith. But of course the blame falls on Johnny. Are Flames fans frustrated with him this year? Sure. But you are severely underrating him.

Yes he’s 26 but he’s had a very strong career so far. Don’t pin the Flames playoff success to one player. It’s a team game and he’s done a fair share of caring the offensive play for several years.
You said I was wrong. [mod] I think I made some fairly good points that you won’t touch on.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Those three definitely overachieved last year (especially Arvidsson and DeBrincat), it's not too surprising to see their goals drop a bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->