Gary Thorne(!!!!) among many hires for Kings PBP role

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Who cares, most overrated PBP in the history of hockey.

absolutely not. Thorne is CLASSIC. On par with Doc Emrick.

Clement was meh, not like Edzo or McGuire are any better (though i thoroughly enjoy Pierre just to mock the ridiculous things he says during games)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thorne was always overrated as an announcer (at least get a few of the names right, man)...but damn it, that man has a perfect announcing voice. I'll be watching. I don't miss the mistakes, but that voice is pure nostalgia.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I will forever link Gary Thorne with the ESPN hockey theme. Both classics.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Who cares, most overrated PBP in the history of hockey.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I am amazed that several HFers pine for this guy when he hasn't done NHL games since the ESPN days.

I mean really, there are PLENTY of great announcers working that made me forget about Thorne in about 2 seconds.

Of course I look forward to his "incredible announcing talent" over the upcoming road trip, so I can remember what he does...

(yes, he has been built up waaaaay too much :laugh: )

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
absolutely not. Thorne is CLASSIC. On par with Doc Emrick.

Clement was meh, not like Edzo or McGuire are any better (though i thoroughly enjoy Pierre just to mock the ridiculous things he says during games)

Doc Emrick....i know he's a legend in PBP and all but....i just cant stand his PBP style.

Drrrrrriiiiiiivvvvvveeeee!!

Also....very excited about Gary Throne tonight!

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
That's awesome to hear. It's a shame he's coming back to call the Kings though. That might turn him off to hockey all over again. "Muzzin gets to the red line and dumps it in. Nolan holds it on the boards. He looks mad about something. The end."

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
That's awesome to hear. It's a shame he's coming back to call the Kings though. That might turn him off to hockey all over again. "Muzzin gets to the red line and dumps it in. Nolan holds it on the boards. He looks mad about something. The end."

More announcers need to work The End into their commentary.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It's happening! :dumbo:

I haven't heard Gary Thorne call an NHL game since my early twenties. Been too long. Welcome back Gary!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Huh?

Are kings games not currently televised?

Main PBP announcer Bob Miller is 78 and had heart surgery earlier this year. He wanted to work a reduced schedule and stay close to home. So the Kings lined up four other PBP guys to fill in for 17 road games this year.

-----------------------

Thorne is a hyper dose of memberberries for folks my age. If only because of Thorne, my mind instinctively thought it was a playoff game. And I did enjoy Thorne flubbing a couple names here and there (credited Pearson's goal to Setoguchi at first), just like old times (Madden/Friesen mixup in the above video).

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
For those who missed it, they're replaying the game right now on NHL Network.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Was OLN not interested in Thorne when they first got the NHL rights or was it Thorne's decision? I do remember OLN getting most of the NHL on ESPN crew like Brian Enngblom, Bill Clement, and Darren Pang. But Barry Melrose stayed.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
little rusty with player names and identifying them, but hes still awesome. expected after such a long time away though.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I didnt realize that this was happening until watching NHL Network tonight and I'm like..."DO I HEAR GARY THORNE?!?!"

AMAZING!!! I will be watching Kings games just because of this for the next couple weeks!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didnt realize that this was happening until watching NHL Network tonight and I'm like..."DO I HEAR GARY THORNE?!?!"

AMAZING!!! I will be watching Kings games just because of this for the next couple weeks!

Looks like he's only around for the next 3 games, but then he'll be back for 3 more in December.

Schedule is in the OP.

JA

Wow! The NHL sorely misses Gary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad