Gary Thorne(!!!!) among many hires for Kings PBP role

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I am jealous!

And the worst part is I'm in Southern Cal so the Kings are blacked out for me.

And yes, we gave up satellite TV long ago lol. We just didnt watch enough channels to warrant the cost

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
LOVE gary thorne

now i have a reason to watch kings games aside from when there's simple no other hockey to watch on TV

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Geeze how many names and how far behind will he be now after 10 years considering how bad he was before

You do know the NHL occurs mostly in the offseason of MLB where he calls Orioles games? He probably follows it a lot and knows most of the players already. But even if he doesn't, for a pro announcer like him he could pick it up fast.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
I'm always amused by discussions of announcers and who everyone thinks is GOAT or is terrible. Some people even love Doc (I have no idea why)...

FWIW, I don't think Thorne is GOAT but I like listening to him...definite improvement for the Kings. Then again, the guy I think is GOAT has people who think he's like listening to finger nails on chalk boards...so apparently we all have opinions, and orifices.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
You do know the NHL occurs mostly in the offseason of MLB where he calls Orioles games? He probably follows it a lot and knows most of the players already. But even if he doesn't, for a pro announcer like him he could pick it up fast.

Then explain his general name screw upery when ESPN had the NHL?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I'm always amused by discussions of announcers and who everyone thinks is GOAT or is terrible. Some people even love Doc (I have no idea why)...

FWIW, I don't think Thorne is GOAT but I like listening to him...definite improvement for the Kings. Then again, the guy I think is GOAT has people who think he's like listening to finger nails on chalk boards...so apparently we all have opinions, and orifices.

Regarding the bolded.... Bob Miller and Nick Nickson (who came over from radio to fill in for him last year) are both fantastic and beloved by Kings fans.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I reeeaaaallllyyyyy don't care about him messing up a name here and there.

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy don't.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
If it turns out Dave Strader can't continue his broadcasting career, I would not mind snatching up Gary Thorne.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
Regarding the bolded.... Bob Miller and Nick Nickson (who came over from radio to fill in for him last year) are both fantastic and beloved by Kings fans.

I certainly was not intending to say anything bad about Bob/Nick...just saying I like Thorne.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Awesome that he is back in hockey. As others have said his calls were the soundtracks to some classic hockey moments.

And he was great in that he never seemed to raised his voice or sound excited unless it was a truly big moment. I like Doc but the exaggerated DRIVEEEE and raspy HIT THE POSTs get a bit much at times.

Odds are most of you haven't heard him call a game lately.

Are you referring to his job with the Orioles?

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

I don't remember him ever screwing names up, so why would I explain something I never heard? :dunno:

I always enjoyed his broadcasts with Bill Clement on ESPN, too bad you didn't.

Because he didn't screw up any names, but his voice on the (Play Station?) video game did screw them up, and alot of people thought that it was really how he called the games live.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
When he was working for ESPN he pronoonced his name (El-ee-ah-shh).

Kristian Huselius became "useless". And the people who made the 2K hockey games said Thorne didn't like taking pronounciation advice. Though he did take a little when some 2K Hockey.net users got their real names in the commentary database (he pronounced my last name according to my intructions as well as a native English speaker probably could :laugh: ).

lordjedediah

Mar 21, 2013
Gary Throne starts his time as the PBP for the Kings tonight and will be calling every game on this road trip.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Kristian Huselius became "useless". And the people who made the 2K hockey games said Thorne didn't like taking pronounciation advice. Though he did take a little when some 2K Hockey.net users got their real names in the commentary database (he pronounced my last name according to my intructions as well as a native English speaker probably could :laugh: ).
so thorne was 100% correct !?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad