Rumor: Gary Roberts under consideration for HC?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
My "sources" are telling me a former Ducks head coach is on the list of potential coaches. I don't know which one but I have my suspicions...

md1.jpg

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I too have heard from sources that Gary Roberts might be hired as the next head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Not really excited by the Roberts rumor. The guy has shown *zero* desire to be a coach since he retired. If he's all of a sudden interested now, go coach in the CHL like everyone else. Plus, isn't this the guy who -- after all we did to resuscitate his career -- bolted to Toronto so he could "win?"

Surely we can find a coach with some experience who has the same fire and motivational skills. It's not like Roberts is uniquely qualified. Other guys believe in eating right and working out, too. Hell, I've been eating well and doing Crossfit for six months. Hire me.

It will definitely be interesting and there will probably be a honeymoon period, during which the Hurricanes and Ron Francis will look brilliant. Then it will all turn to reality and we'll look like idiots. See Muller, Kirk.

And Hank, I've been in so much trouble with my "sources" it isn't funny. It's your turn. ;)

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Excellent choice as an assistant to whomever takes the head coaching job. But I'm not too excited about hiring another inexperienced NHL coach.

Guy Boucher!

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
How different of a Coach would Rod be than Roberts, if 'teaching' and physical training and discipline are what Roberts can potentially bring? Unless Rod doesn't want it, but I have from a fairly good heard that they have talked to Rod about it as well. I'm not sure if that was pre-RF announcement or after, not that that matters much.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I would think it would be a polite thing to do, to ask Rod, "you interested" to which if he hesitates a second, you say " yeah, I didn't think so" and move on! ;)

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Mentioned this in passing to a friend, he said he swore he saw a Gary Roberts lookalike at RDU the other day. He's not the most caught up on hockey so take it with a few grains of salt. :dunno:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Mentioned this in passing to a friend, he said he swore he saw a Gary Roberts lookalike at RDU the other day. He's not the most caught up on hockey so take it with a few grains of salt. :dunno:

:laugh: My favorite post of the thread.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Emil Ullbrand ‏@emilullbrand 7h
Lite snack om Gary Roberts som ny head coach för Canes. Då skulle i vilket fall spelarna vara bra tränade. #workout

freetranslation.com= "A little snack on Gary Roberts as the new head coach for Canes. This would in any case be good trained players"

Alright, who let the cat outta the bag?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't think it's a "media" type. Just a normal person, maybe a member of the boards?

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
My sources have also just confirmed that there is currently a "Roberts" house shopping in the Raleigh area. Coincidence? I think not...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 33m
Haven't scoured twitter...maybe this is out there. Washington, Florida and Carolina have all contacted Barry Trotz.

Did not work.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If he's trying to keep his family in Nashville or at least close, might be a consideration. *shrugs*

Francis said he's going to do a real process with the search, which means that they'll be talking to a whole lot of potential coaches and asking them to make their pitch about what they could do for the franchise. They would be negligent if they didn't talk to Trotz, even if he's not on the shortlist right now like Roberts is.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
at least whoever they end up hiring will have plenty of time and a full season with a training camp and all, so there should be no excuses along those lines.
given 'the budget' and still having to pay Muller and staff, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Francis go ahead and announce Brindy as HC. he could make a pretty good argument for him all things considered and then bring in some appropriate assistants. who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad