Rumor: Gary Roberts under consideration for HC?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wool-Over-Their-Eyes.jpg

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. At the press conference where JR passed the torch, RF's message was that he is his own man and would not be a puppet for the old guard. At the time, I wondered if he had some moves up his sleeve that would seem unusual for us. Apparently the people I speak to inside the organization have been getting similar vibes. Between that and how he's openly stated that this team needs a clear identity, I wouldn't be that surprised if Roberts and his penchant for discipline is on RF's short list.

Wonder if Hank and I are talking to the same people.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. At the press conference where JR passed the torch, RF's message was that he is his own man and would not be a puppet for the old guard. At the time, I wondered if he had some moves up his sleeve that would seem unusual for us. Apparently the people I speak to inside the organization have been getting similar vibes. Between that and how he's openly stated that this team needs a clear identity, I wouldn't be that surprised if Roberts and his penchant for discipline is on RF's short list.

Wonder if Hank and I are talking to the same people.

I've heard the same rumblings. I'm surprised this doesn't have more traction outside this thread....

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't see how hiring Roberts would be unusual for us. Jr likely has a poster of this guy in his office.

I think hiring a guy who has never coached a hockey game to be an Nhl head coach would be unusual for any team. But that's why they pay RF the big bucks!

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah, looks like I won't be commenting on this thread further. Turns out someone ain't too happy about this thread.

Enjoy your speculation, gentlemen.

--hank

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Unusual like hiring a 27 year old coach? Not to mention we all get up in arms about the whole nepotism/keep it in the family approach JR was so obsessed with. Hiring Roberts to me would me pretty similar to hiring Brindy, Stillman, Wesley....etc.

I know we respect Roberts and all, but isn't this very much in the same path of all the moves we tend to scoff at? This guy was a big part of our team and one of the first "respectable" guys Jr brought in to change the team attitiude and perception. The other is the GM. Things are changing?

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Yeah, looks like I won't be commenting on this thread further. Turns out someone ain't too happy about this thread.

Enjoy your speculation, gentlemen.

--hank

Well that sucks, but I guess I don't blame you... gotta protect identities and all that. Don't stick your neck out too far.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
In other news, looks like Toronto won't be looking for a new coach as they just extended Carlyle.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The reality is, head coach is about motivating. The assistants are there to handle the X's and O's. Doesn't matter how good a system you have, if your players don't believe in you or listen to you.

Find him a couple nerds to do the game planning, and have him enforce it with some authority. Exactly what this team needs, really, when you consider the coach killing attitudes. I assume that's what the org. is thinking.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That's the part I agree with, we need someone to cut through the bs. Just wish Roberts had been coaching literally anywhere for the last few years.

Ill add, Dineen brings all the same things that Roberts does. The same intensity and the zero tolerance for laziness, is known to already bring those traits in his coaching, and already has experience at the position. The way we talk about Muller and how he'll use the experience to be a better coach elsewhere - that's exactly where Dineen is today.

I'm not pushing Dineen, obviously I'm a whalers guy. Just saying if those are the traits we want from a coach, there's an available one that brings all the same things with a better resume that has the same connections to the team.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Maybe that's a bit more context for friesens tweets about the jimmies and the johnnies.

--hank

(Guess I dont care about that relationship after all, lol... besides, it's already out there)

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
The word on the street is that LaRose could be brought in as an assistant coach. Can't confirm which street it is yet though.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The situation with Roberts is that financially he's one of the most sought after offseason guys in the game. Potentially *the* most sought after. Any contract offer made to him would have to reflect that in its significance. It's a bit like dealing with the TV guys. Any number of them could catch on as assistants somewhere, but the TV money is so good that the only offers that interest them are so high up the ladder that any owner would have to be *really* passionate about their upside to hire them. See also the Pierre rumors to GM spots in St. Louis and Toronto. Roberts is a conditioning rock star right now and with that clout he can demand to walk right into power should some GM be unfortunate to confuse his ability to work with athletes as a viable and sole important head coaching attribute.

But my question is why go that route? Why try to play American Idol again with our head coaching spot? Aren't we in enough trouble already? Kirk was a pretty hot name when we courted him as well but as time went on it became pretty obvious he knew nothing about some of the important aspects of game management, line management, tactical adjustments, player roles, etc. In other words, he talked himself into consideration for a job that he didn't know how to do. What's different about this?

Do we need to sacrifice another head coach on the altar of "learning on the job", while making obvious mistakes? Can we, for once, get a coach that has already *made* those mistakes somewhere? We broke in Maurice. We broke in Kirk. How far back does it go that Laviolette was the only coach with experience we've hired? Holmgren was briefly an assistant with the Flyers before becoming the Whalers head man. Pierre.... we won't even get into that one. Rick Ley. Jim Roberts. Is the most recent hire we've made that actually coached an NHL club (with a five year break between jobs) was Jack Evans in 1983? Is this real life?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I meant Gary Roberts+Jeff Skinner on a full time basis. Plus I thought Skinner left and was with Crosby's guy now?

I think Skinner trained with Roberts for 3 years (including the year before his first season), but before this season, I think he switched it up and went to another guy and did some high altitude training also.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I think Skinner trained with Roberts for 3 years (including the year before his first season), but before this season, I think he switched it up and went to another guy and did some high altitude training also.

That's what I remember reading. Wonder why he made the switch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad