Rumor: Gary Roberts under consideration for HC?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Trotz perhaps on our short list?

At this point, I am in absolutely no hurry to do anything. I’ve been contacted by a few teams. As I said, I’m in no rush to do anything right now. Everybody has their own time frame. There’s a couple of teams that have basically said, ‘Give us some time and you’re on our short list.’ So that’s where I am.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1028009/former-predators-bench-boss-barry-trotz-has-interest-in-canucks-vacant-coaching-job/

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Renney is a very good teacher so he would fit a portion of RF's wishlist. But I agree that he would be better as an assistant under someone with a firmer hand.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Script: 2014-15 Hurricanes pre-game video board display.

1.) Flashy text with whizzing graphics and flames, explosions, and billowing hurricane flags.

A super serious voice intones: May, 2014... The Carolina Hurricanes hire Gary Roberts to be their next head coach...

2.) (Insert pumped up, contrived catchphrase here, one that has to do with "reclaiming" or "restoring" past glories, etc. Make sure to have video of Brind'Amour hoisting cup play 3 or 4 times, miracle goals against Devils and Habs, Scott Walker scoring against Boston, and so on.)

3.) Fast forward to this hard core action shot of PNC Arena mid-April through June of 2015.

rbc-center-nhl-229-800x600_zps84bedc83.jpg

The CanesVision guys can thank (and pay!) me later.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Just because you make it out to a Michael Bay movie, doesn't mean it won't work.

--hank

As a STH I've watched a lot of billowing Hurricanes flags and explosions. Similarly, I've watched a lot of very bad decisions play out on the ice in front of me these last few years.

This is one of those bad decisions. Just my nickel opinion, of course.

And when it comes to "speculating about hiring someone with zero coaching experience who might not even want to coach" vs. spending part of my month of May buying playoff tickets because we hired a known commodity, I'm taking the known commodity.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Roberts??? Roberts??!! We talkin' bout Roberts!?

We should consider Scott Walker too. There's player-coach familiarity with Staal, Ward, and eventually McGinn. Just look at how well the aging Brooklyn Nets are doing so far with Jason Kidd being their unexperienced HC.

This won't be his first time coaching gig, and plus, he just coached McGinn and the Guelph Storm to the OHL title.

storm636

Jul 26, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like Gary. However this team needs someone with coaching experience. If you get a former player he needs to put in his dur in the minors like Roy did

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Funny 'hoax" but Roberts has no chance at becoming an NHL coach in the next few years. I'd hire him as my trainer, and send Pete packing though, in a heartbeat!

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Funny 'hoax" but Roberts has no chance at becoming an NHL coach in the next few years. I'd hire him as my trainer, and send Pete packing though, in a heartbeat!

WTF IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE? THE FIRST RULE OF A GOOD HOAX IS THAT YOU NEVER EVER EVER SAY HOAX OUT LOUD!!!!

This is why we can't have nice things.

I'm taking my ball and going home.

Gary Damned Roberts. Today tomorrow forever.

--hank

SkinnersAWinner

Apr 13, 2014
Clemson, SC
I want Tortz just because he'll bring Mitch Korn with him and my little brother went to a Korn camp in Cincinnati, won most improved goalie. and got to know him pretty well. Hopefully this connection leads to me getting a job with the organization since they like to keep it all in house :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad