Speculation: Gary Mason on the Canucks and the Offseason

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I remember laughing at him 20 years ago

Mason was pretty connected when Burke was here - I think they were fairly close. Mason doesn't write sports any more, so I'm not sure how much inside knowledge he may or may not have, though he does seem to have some connection to the ownership group.

I believe it was Mason that broke the Keenan firing. It was in the Saturday morning Sun before it had been made public. It was the All-Star weekend, IIRC.

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
I think he would have quite a bit of value, actually.

He very well could. If I am another team though I look at 1) his contract (4.5 till he is 36), 2) Linemates (even though he is a great player in his own right their is still the sedin stigma, 3) Gillis' asking price.

Hal 9000*

He very well could. If I am another team though I look at 1) his contract (4.5 till he is 36), 2) Linemates (even though he is a great player in his own right their is still the sedin stigma, 3) Gillis' asking price.

Wow Dude, you'd make an awesome GM.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Patience my dear monster... your hero Lack will cause the next uprising soon enough. ;)

AockiLxCMAAHzTp.jpg

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Isn't it funny that Mason portrays the owner's position to be exactly the same as the criticisms and narrative the media has laid out over the past few weeks.

Isn't that convenient. I smell bs.

Alflives*

Pretty sure Buffalo would do that trade in a heartbeat, though I wouldn't. *If* Edler gets dealt, I have to think it is for a top line winger (Bobby Ryan) or for a couple of young, cheap assets (Couturier and 1st pick). A D-for-D trade isn't worth the headache of the "oh you traded me before my NTC kicked in and I gave you a hometown discount" backlash that some posters predict will happen ...

If Buffalo would make that trade (Edler for Meyers) I don't understand why Vancouver would not. Meyers has an upside that Edler does not - a franchise D. Looking at the teams left, they all have a guy on D playing over 25 minutes. The Canucks need to get a guy with that potential. Edler, even on a very good team, has not been able to log those minutes. Meyers, on the Canucks - especially paired with Hamhuis 5 on 5 - could be the 'coveted' franchise guy.

Although if Edler could bring Bobby Ryan, that would be a very nice addition too. I think, though, Aneheim will be looking for a top draft pick for Ryan, not an established player like Edler, who has a rich contract.

Hal 9000*

Isn't it funny that Mason portrays the owner's position to be exactly the same as the criticisms and narrative the media has laid out over the past few weeks.

Isn't that convenient. I smell bs.

Most of it just makes sense though. Everything he wrote (except the Gillis part) is exactly what I've written on this very site including packaging Edler with Luongo.
It's not BS, it's just a perspective. I'm sure with the amount of media, blogs and forums out in the world, somebody somehow will post similar thoughts - especially if they make sense.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Just because you make sense doesn't mean it is right. My whole point is this person is acting like he has a source to support the exact same narrative he and others in the media have been saying all along. It "makes sense" because the people who believe it want it to make sense.

I would be very surprised if there is a source who reliably has the finger on the pluse of the team ownership, especially if it contradicts how the team is playing. Don't buy it for a second his source is that good. We would know way more about a whole host of things if he was that good of a reporter.

Last edited:

Alflives*

Most of it just makes sense though. Everything he wrote (except the Gillis part) is exactly what I've written on this very site including packaging Edler with Luongo.
It's not BS, it's just a perspective. I'm sure with the amount of media, blogs and forums out in the world, somebody somehow will post similar thoughts - especially if they make sense.

Ryan Miller is leaving Bufallo, and they will need a goalie. Could it be: Luongo + Edler for Meyers?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If Buffalo would make that trade (Edler for Meyers) I don't understand why Vancouver would not. Meyers has an upside that Edler does not - a franchise D. Looking at the teams left, they all have a guy on D playing over 25 minutes. The Canucks need to get a guy with that potential. Edler, even on a very good team, has not been able to log those minutes. Meyers, on the Canucks - especially paired with Hamhuis 5 on 5 - could be the 'coveted' franchise guy.

Although if Edler could bring Bobby Ryan, that would be a very nice addition too. I think, though, Aneheim will be looking for a top draft pick for Ryan, not an established player like Edler, who has a rich contract.

Call it personal opinion, but I'm not a big Myers fan. See more Jay Bouwmeester than Zdeno Chara in his game. At least I know what Elder *is* as a player, while Myers hasn't established any sort of consistency in his 4 years in the league. Big pass for me.

Re: Ryan, he is much closer to what this team needs which is size and skill in the same package. And I don't know why Anaheim would be more interested in picks than a player, seeing as they just finished 2nd in the league (so are in cup-contention mode) and have a wealth of young kids already (Fowler, Etem, Palmieri, Holland). I mean they probably would prefer the #1 OA pick over Edler, but I don't think they'd turn down Edler simply because he isn't a pick ...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just because you make sense doesn't mean it is right. My whole point is this person is acting like he has a source to support the exact same narrative he and others in the media have been saying all along. It "makes sense" because the people who believe it want it to make sense.

I would be very surprised if there is a source who reliably has the finger on the pluse of the team, especially if it contradicts how the team is playing. Don't buy it for a second his source is that good. We would know way more about a whole host of things if he was that good of a reporter.

But how much do any of us know about any reporter and their sources? What do we even know about how reporters get their tips and insights? You are right in that it "makes sense" to the people who want it to, just as it is "complete BS" to those who do want it to. If there's one constant in Vancouver, its that people seem to think reporters are credible when it suits their POV and non-credible when it doesn't. I don't pretend to know what Mason's sources are or whether they are in the least bit legit, but I find it funny how quickly people are to assert that his sources *are* crap who really have no way of knowing ...

Hal 9000*

I would be very surprised if there is a source who reliably has the finger on the pluse of the team, especially if it contradicts how the team is playing. Don't buy it for a second his source is that good. We would know way more about a whole host of things if he was that good of a reporter.

If Mason hasn't covered hockey (or sports generally) in a serious way for many years now, what motivation is there for him to wake up one morning and start throwing out random BS?

I can see people like Botchford who have hitched their wagon to a different philosophy taking issue with the article because they do have stake in the outcome.

You are right though, people will believe him or not based on their own opinions of the situation.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Ryan Miller is leaving Bufallo, and they will need a goalie. Could it be: Luongo + Edler for Meyers?

No offense intended, but can we not have another thread of your wild overrating of Tyler Myers? You've brought it up about a 1000 times, and I don't think anybody agrees with you.

If Gillis made that trade, I'd probably stop watching the team until he was fired :laugh:

Hal 9000*

No offense intended, but can we not have another thread of your wild overrating of Tyler Myers? You've brought it up about a 1000 times, and I don't think anybody agrees with you.

If Gillis made that trade, I'd probably stop watching the team until he was fired :laugh:

Cut the guy some slack. Most people here want Luongo bought out, waived or given away for free, that means that the deal is basically Edler for Myers (and cap space). How is that so bad?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Cut the guy some slack. Most people here want Luongo bought out, waived or given away for free, that means that the deal is basically Edler for Myers (and cap space). How is that so bad?

Because Myers is a worse player than Edler right now and is not anywhere near guaranteed to ever become as good or beter than Edler? He also has a horrible contract.

Hal 9000*

Because Myers is a worse player than Edler right now and is not anywhere near guaranteed to ever become as good or beter than Edler? He also has a horrible contract.

That's arguable. I haven't seen as much of Myers as I have Edler, but how many backbreaking/heartbreaking giveaway's and gaffs can we watch Edler make? Every one seems worse than the last - it's getting very hard to watch him play.
I do put a lot of his play on our coaches, but you have to admit that we've overrated Edler for a couple years now too.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
That's arguable. I haven't seen as much of Myers as I have Edler, but how many backbreaking/heartbreaking giveaway's and gaffs can we watch Edler make? Every one seems worse than the last - it's getting very hard to watch him play.
I do put a lot of his play on our coaches, but you have to admit that we've overrated Edler for a couple years now too.

If that's your issue with Edler then you would hate Myers even more.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That's arguable.

Not it's not. He's just as suspect defensively, maybe more so, and not nearly as good offensively. Myers has been on a steady decline since his rookie season but is being paid going forward based on that rookie season's performance. He's young enough to turn his game around, but he's got a Dion Phaneuf-like vibe when he was dealt from Calgary, but Phaneuf wasn't on nearly as much of a slide as Myers has been on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad