Gary Bettman's contract

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I don't like Bettman, he's slimey, but the NHL has come a long way since the lockout from a financial perspective. That's his area of expertise, and he's always looked out for the fans, and what I do like about him is that he is not afraid to surround himself with good hockey people to make good decisions on hockey related matters. You really have to be a diehard fan of at least one other sport to distinguish a good commish from a bad one, and as a baseball fan, Bettman>>>>>>>>>>>>>Selig.

Truer words have never been spoken. FWIW, I think the last good commish MLB had was Bowie Kuhn. Uberroth ticked off the players by colluding with the owners. Giamatti was on track to be a good one, but he died too soon. Fay Vincent spent too much time picking fights with the owners and behaving autocratically. And then you have Selig. :shakehead

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Like I said above, Bettman and the NHL are not equivalent in my mind. I became a fan in the 1970's. I hope to be a fan long after Bettman leaves. That day can't come soon enough for some fans.

Even if Bettman were replaced tomorrow, does anyone really think the NHL's fundamental strategy is going to change significantly?

The NHL knows for purposes of long-term growth that it needs to have a true national footprint in both the US and Canada, and can't resign itself to being a regional sport.

It is the business of every league to try to grow and expand its brand. The NBA is marketing around the world in Europe and Asia. The NFL is holding regular season games in London and is seriously considering putting a franchise there (arguably a much harder sell than hockey in Phoenix). These leagues understand that spreading a game to places where it is not widely played is a difficult challenge, but the long-term payoffs are worth it.

Seems to me that the hockey is the only sport with a large segment of fans who not only actively oppose the growth of the game to new places, but actually want to shrink and restrict it back to what it was in the past.

Fugu

Even if Bettman were replaced tomorrow, does anyone really think the NHL's fundamental strategy is going to change significantly?

The NHL knows for purposes of long-term growth that it needs to have a true national footprint in both the US and Canada, and can't resign itself to being a regional sport.

This theme has been around for nearly three decades now. I dunno, as I don't feel like arguing that point, but what do you believe is realistic for the NHL? Every American knows there is an NHL, and they know games are on TV. What is going to happen that will alter the course of decades' long experiment?

I also pointed out that there are only 4-5 owners still around who were involved with the "original" idea to expand (1980's) and who maybe bought into the footprint strategy. (Not sure of the count since say the mid-90's, but I'd guess well over half of current owners joined in AFTER the last expansion.)
It is the business of every league to try to grow and expand its brand. The NBA is marketing around the world in Europe and Asia. The NFL is holding regular season games in London and is seriously considering putting a franchise there (arguably a much harder sell than hockey in Phoenix). These leagues understand that spreading a game to places where it is not widely played is a difficult challenge, but the long-term payoffs are worth it.

I have never agreed with this being the ultimate goal for a "league". Again, it's not McDonald's.

Growing the value of its brand is an acceptable goal. Expanding ad infinitum is ridiculous. Sports leagues need to have a certain localness to their flavor. Just like I abhor going to Singapore only to find the same brands on the main streets as I do in Chicago or London, I think we all lose a heck of a lot when we buy into the sameness and mass market mentality that "globalization" offers.

Honestly though. What would be so very wrong with having a league that is 24-30 teams and just being set with that number?

Seems to me that the hockey is the only sport with a large segment of fans who not only actively oppose the growth of the game to new places, but actually want to shrink and restrict it back to what it was in the past.

Maybe hockey fans prefer steak to the Big Mac?

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
As a Canadian, I would give Bettmen a $50m extension because I think he's been the best thing for hockey, he brought us respect, integrity, I mean, do you guys really want another 20 years of Alan Eagleson / whatever else we had before Bettmen?

He grew the sport and we needed a ***** to stand up to the masses.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Maybe hockey fans prefer steak to the Big Mac?

I don't accept the analogy, and further I don't believe that growth is necessarily inimical to quality.

On the contrary, I believe that growth of the game to more places and improvements in its visibility and status will cause an increase in the number of kids playing the sport, which will greatly increase the size of the talent pool that the league draws from, which will increase the overall level of play. As a matter of fact, we are already starting to see the fruits of this, as players from "non-traditional" markets are getting drafted in increasing numbers, some relatively high in the draft.

Personally, I think that the average skill level and athleticism in the league right now is better than at any point in NHL history, including when there were only six teams.

Fugu

I don't accept the analogy, and further I don't believe that growth is necessarily inimical to quality.

On the contrary, I believe that growth of the game to more places and improvements in its visibility and status will cause an increase in the number of kids playing the sport, which will greatly increase the size of the talent pool that the league draws from, which will increase the overall level of play. As a matter of fact, we are already starting to see the fruits of this, as players from "non-traditional" markets are getting drafted in increasing numbers, some relatively high in the draft.

Personally, I think that the average skill level and athleticism in the league right now is better than at any point in NHL history, including when there were only six teams.

You also didn't say where you'd draw the line? A hundred team league? 30? 60?

Growth for its own sake means leagues could have 500 teams!

What about the TV contract? How much and at what investment cost?

As a Canadian, I would give Bettmen a $50m extension because I think he's been the best thing for hockey, he brought us respect, integrity, I mean, do you guys really want another 20 years of Alan Eagleson / whatever else we had before Bettmen?

He grew the sport and we needed a ***** to stand up to the masses.

Wasn't Eagleson the head of the NHLPA?

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Many of the teams you mentioned are not "his" experiment - in fact, I don't think any of them are. Mod: deleted.

OK, agree to disagree. I think a lot of the southern NHL base is indeed his experiment as if there was anywhere as much effort to maintain a franchise in, for example, Winnipeg has he has put into keeping it in Phoenix, never would have seen the move of either Winnipeg or Quebec City. The Nashville Predators (1998), Atlanta Thrashers (1999), Minnesota Wild (2000) and Columbus Blue Jackets (2000) completed the NHL's last expansion period with 1/2 of this being to the south. In addition, four franchises have relocated during Bettman's tenure: The Minnesota North Stars to Dallas (1993), the Quebec Nordiques to Denver (1995), the Winnipeg Jets to Phoenix (1996) and the Hartford Whalers to North Carolina (1997). Arguably three and certainly two went from north to southern states. Led by Bettman, the league has focused expansion and relocation efforts on the American South.

Others might agree with me. You don't. The internet is proven again! :)

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
I find it interesting that there are so many that want to give GB blame for all the NHL's failures, but are unwilling to give him credit for its successes. Mod: delete.

He has done some good things, sure, but his fixation in trying to make hockey a North American wide sport has simply not worked. It would be no different than putting six NBA teams in Canada and then propping them up against all logic. Winnipeg and Quebec City remain far more logical locations for NHL franchises than a number of Gary's locatoins. That is how I see it. I already know you disagree.

BTW - I am a HUGE Florida Panther fan. Love the team....even now in our total disarray....however, it is currently not a financially viable franchise. We both know what seasons tickets go for. What the gate is. Fact is that it needs money from rest of league to stay viable.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
i was 150% anti lock out, can not stand the salary cap and think that Bettman and Daley have a PHD in spin doctoring.

however, i respect bettman because he rarely plays the wrong hand. he is reasonably connected to the fans and has proven to be a master strategist.

the one point i dont agree with are those people who say Bettman is nothing more than a talking head for the owners. GB is the single most influential person on the planet when it comes to the business of hockey. If you dont think he is paid to identify and execute the strategies of the NHL, then you are underestimating his role.

if he simply was employed to do the BOG bidding, but not influence it, they would hire a PR firm.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
How about you
A) Give some sources to back up your statements here - not just the nebulous "local radio media here." Well that's great - but who's to say some local radio jock in Kamloops or Abbotsford or Burnaby or wherever really has a bead on what's happening in *closed* Board of Governor's meetings? Why would they be upset over anything happening in Phoenix when the owners in their capacity as members of the BoG are making the decisions as to what happens, not Commissioner Bettman. There may be some owners who disagree with what's going on, but the simple fact that the League is moving in the direction that it is illustrates that those owners would be in the minority.

Mod: deleted.

The radio show was not small market which in some Canadian cities smokes fanbases of a Pho , no disrespect to Coyotes loyal fans its just truth and the show was Vancouver its top pairing talking about GB and what has been heard lately regarding issues , I was very upfront about my dislike for GB i do beleive their are better peopel who would treat hockey better and manage the business side very well maybe even better , as a point tune in to Dallas tonight that building is half empty with 2 of the top teams in western conference playing wouldnt happen in NFL or NBA , MLB maybe but they live on TV renues teh NHL just cant seem to steal a share of Gbs had how many years to try and failed .
I could make a full thread on his shortcomings no pun intended hes not traeted fans with much respect and weve seen players get to where they almsot kill each other and have ended careers while hes been the boss he does not give one **** about the game just his money like any other money bag weasel would.

Steve Passless*

[Bettman] is by far the best Commissioner in pro sports.

How can this be when it's debatable to what extent his league is a pro sport?

The best commissioner is the one whose league didn't cease to exist for a year.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
a lot of people that say Bettman can't be considered a good commissioner because of the lockout are out to lunch. That's what makes him a good one. He had the guts to stick to his guns to do what he knew had to be done. It was either lose a season and press reset, or watch the league year by year drift into oblivion. I can assure you right now that Edmonton, Ottawa and Buffalo would all be toast if he caved into the NHLPA simply to avoid losing an entire year, and obviously teams like Phoenix would have been toast as well.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The best commissioner is the one whose league didn't cease to exist for a year.

Anyone with a basic understanding of strategy knows that a major hit in the short term to secure a massive victory in the long term is a good strategy.

Also, the NHL and the PA both agreed to lose that season. It's funny that everyone blames Bettman and only Bettman for it. Each side could have caved.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Amazes me how many "fans" of hockey as also "fans" of a rat faced ny lawyer that can't speak a sentence back to back without twisting the truth. This guy makes me ill to listen to in interviews.
National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman got a modest raise in the 2008-09 season, but his salary still remains in seven figures.

According to a report in Sports Business Journal, Bettman was paid $7.2 million US, up 1.7 per cent from the previous year.

Read somewhere he is paid over 10M now while fan attendance in many non-traditional NHL markets is pathetic and at least a hand full of teams are up for sale or current owner or owners want to sell.
I'm old enough to watch this game in the 70s and without a doubt the NHL was more entertaining to watch from then to '94. Afterwards that human rodent lawyer got to work on smashing the players union little by little until it was left destroyed in 2005 and just now maybe getting strong again with Fehr running it .
Don't know why NHL team owners and GM's think in majority that bettman is only man on the planet Earth that can make them money still after 17 years of making a mockery of the sport especially with the 1st when he took power throwing the game legends and builders conference and division names in the trash and replacing them with nba regional names again like names like Wales, Campbell, Smythe, Patrick, Norris and Adams were a joke to him and didn't deserve to be honored anymore.
Feb 1st 1993- present commissioner, a whole generation of kids that didn't see the NHL pre-bettman era, which is sad.
Integrity of the game should matter to a sports commissioner. Obviously it hasn't for Selig or bettman just making the team owners money is all that matters them and obviously we can't expect sport team owners to care about what fans think of the current state of the game since all they care about is making money also.
The quality of the game and integrity of the game will be much better once bettman and his lackey's daly and campbell are retired or fired someday in probably the very distant future since most NHL teams now are in warm climates where those owners rely on bettman to prop them up and not move them to a city where it actually friggin snows.
Here's to 5-10 to 20 more years of bettman and likely another lockout or two or strike in between.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Anyone with a basic understanding of strategy knows that a major hit in the short term to secure a massive victory in the long term is a good strategy.

Also, the NHL and the PA both agreed to lose that season. It's funny that everyone blames Bettman and only Bettman for it. Each side could have caved.

Bettman went on Canadian TV and told us it was a strike -LIE and the players did cave why should they have had too though when it was owners throwing money like it was a monopoly game oh but thats the NHLPAs fault to many , GB let owners spend and then blamed players and too many fans bought it and still do .

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Amazes me how many "fans" of hockey as also "fans" of a rat faced ny lawyer that can't speak a sentence back to back without twisting the truth. This guy makes me ill to listen to in interviews.
National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman got a modest raise in the 2008-09 season, but his salary still remains in seven figures.

According to a report in Sports Business Journal, Bettman was paid $7.2 million US, up 1.7 per cent from the previous year.

Read somewhere he is paid over 10M now while fan attendance in many non-traditional NHL markets is pathetic and at least a hand full of teams are up for sale or current owner or owners want to sell.

And this means Bettman's a bad commissioner...why? You'll always have owners in any League that want to sell all or part of their teams for a number of reasons, both positive and negative. Still, that has no bearing on the Office of the Commissioner as it does on that individual owner or ownership group.

I'm old enough to watch this game in the 70s and without a doubt the NHL was more entertaining to watch from then to '94.

And I'm sure someone who was old enough to watch the game in the 50s would say that "without a doubt" it was more entertaining to watch then than in the '70s. People have tendencies to fondly remember the past and gripe about the present regardless of era...

throwing the game legends and builders conference and division names in the trash and replacing them with nba regional names again like names like Wales, Campbell, Smythe, Patrick, Norris and Adams were a joke to him and didn't deserve to be honored anymore.

Did he now? You may not recall this, but believe it or not those divisional/conference names were only instituted in 1974. Prior to that, you know what the NHL used? Regional names. When the Penguins joined the NHL in '67 they were part of the NHL's West Division. The Pittsburgh Pirates prior to that in the late 20's/early 30s - when my Dad was a kid - played in the American Division. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Wales Trophy, Campbell Bowl, Conn Smythe Trophy, and Norris Trophy still awarded?

all they care about is making money also.
The quality of the game and integrity of the game will be much better once bettman and his lackey's daly and campbell are retired or fired someday in probably the very distant future since most NHL teams now are in warm climates where those owners rely on bettman to prop them up and not move them to a city where it actually friggin snows.

Hyperbole aside, I had no idea snow was a prerequisite for being a member of the NHL! Raleigh has had about 10" or so this winter. Is that enough? Or is there some arbitrary amount of snow a city should receive before it can be considered an NHL market? And let me get this straight in one sentence you complain about owners only caring about making money than in another you complain about owners who aren't making enough money. Which is it? Should owners keep their eyes on their wallets or should they be committed to the good of the game, whatever that means to them? Neither of these, by the way, exclude the possibility of "nontraditional" markets.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Did he now? You may not recall this, but believe it or not those divisional/conference names were only instituted in 1974. Prior to that, you know what the NHL used? Regional names. When the Penguins joined the NHL in '67 they were part of the NHL's West Division. The Pittsburgh Pirates prior to that in the late 20's/early 30s - when my Dad was a kid - played in the American Division.

It always amuses me that people think of the old division names as some kind of time-less tradition from the dawn of hockey, and changing them as if it was some kind of travesty.

Those division names were only used for less than 20 years out of the hundred year history of the NHL. For some reason, people have no sense of perspective about this. They're not part of the "roots of the game."

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The key words here being "North American" since college football and basketball are way more respected and followed than hockey in the US.

And this is a slight on Gary Bettman how?

Hockey has been in the South for 20 years, unless you wish to count the first Atlanta Franchise, in which case, we can add 5 years and make it 25.

College Basketball and Football have been in the South for nearly 100 years in some cases. On top of that, for the majority of those 100 years, college sports were the only thing available locally for sports fans. This was before TV and Internet, when following non-local teams was very difficult.

I just find it odd that people ***** about hockey is not respected in the U.S., and then ***** about how Bettman is "ruining" the game by trying to expand it. You can't have it both ways!!

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
And this is a slight on Gary Bettman how?

Hockey has been in the South for 20 years, unless you wish to count the first Atlanta Franchise, in which case, we can add 5 years and make it 25.

College Basketball and Football have been in the South for nearly 100 years in some cases. On top of that, for the majority of those 100 years, college sports were the only thing available locally for sports fans. This was before TV and Internet, when following non-local teams was very difficult.

I just find it odd that people ***** about hockey is not respected in the U.S., and then ***** about how Bettman is "ruining" the game by trying to expand it. You can't have it both ways!!

It wasn't, although I do not like him personally I was simply bringing up the fact that college basketball and football are higher on the totem pole than hockey. Just like in Canada where hockey reigns supreme and every other sport takes a back seat. While as in the US football, baseball, basketball, college sports, nascar and even possibly soccer are ahead of hockey. Perhaps respected was the wrong word to use but don't put words or ideas in my mouth and infer conclusions that are not valid. At least to me. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad