Gary Bettman's contract

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I've been wondering for a while now, when does Bettman's contract expire? I heard a rumor I think in September or something that it expires at the end of this season, but I really don't know. Like everyone else I hope it expires soon, since I really want a new commissioner who will actually move the Yotes to Winnipeg, Hamilton or Quebec since I heard a few days ago that their attendance is so bad they're selling tickets for $5!! But one thing I really wanna know is, when Bettman's contract eventually does expire, how does the process of him re-signing or leaving work?? Like, I mean, if he wants to re-sign do the GM's from each team have to vote him back in or something...or what? Can someone please fill me in all this? Thanks in advance.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Bettman's contract is extended at least through 2013 and the job of commissioner is his as long as he wants it, since the people who pay his salary have a much different (and far better) view of his performance.

Like everyone else

Wrong.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I've been wondering for a while now, when does Bettman's contract expire? I heard a rumor I think in September or something that it expires at the end of this season, but I really don't know. Like everyone else I hope it expires soon,

"Like everyone else"? You're supposing a bit much there.

Bettman's going to be commissioner beyond his current contract, largely because the people who make such decisions aren't included in your definition of "everyone".

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
On top of the excellent points made by Dr. No and Ike...I think you need to learn quick that decisions like "relocating teams" aren't Commissioner Bettman's call. While I'm sure Bettman, being a singular individual who serves as the public face of the NHL, makes a convenient scapegoat for you, [Mod: deleted.]

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Bettman's contract is extended at least through 2013 and the job of commissioner is his as long as he wants it, since the people who pay his salary have a much different (and far better) view.

Wrong.

Kind of a harse response for someone just asking a question. But I do agree, Bettman probably has a shiny new contract waiting for him...

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
wow, what is all of your problems? :S obviously I meant everyone else as in all the people on the boards and other fans worldwide. sure I made a mistake by saying that but it only takes one person to point it out and simply correct it. also nobody answered my second question, do the GM's have to vote him back in or something?

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
On top of the excellent points made by Dr. No and Ike...I think you need to learn quick that decisions like "relocating teams" aren't Commissioner Bettman's call. While I'm sure Bettman, being a singular individual who serves as the public face of the NHL, makes a convenient scapegoat for you

In defense, Bettman is as you said is the face of the league and as well has the power and influence to sway the BOG. (I like to think of it like being the President, Obama has presidential powers but is limited by the House/Senates co-operation). Is Bettman a scapegoat?, darn right, but he has become quite the weasel when it comes to the Canadian media. Now when he eventually retires and things don't change in the NHL? Well then all those Bettman haters will eat crow but until that time Bettman will be hated by many hockey fans.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He serves at the pleasure of the Board of Governors, and their pleased. His contract expires I believe in 2013-14, shows no signs of slowing down, while heir apparent Bill Daly seems perfectly content in his role. Regardless of your opinion of the mans style in terms of delivery, I think he's matured considerably over the past 17+ years & is by far the best Commissioner in pro sports. Likely a year prior to his contract expiration, the BOG will ask him what his plans are, as he'll be in his early 60's by then, and should he decide to stick around for another 5-7yrs thereafter, he'll be rubberstamped. Loyalties to the guy deep in the NHL's boardroom.

Last edited:

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
On top of the excellent points made by Dr. No and Ike...I think you need to learn quick that decisions like "relocating teams" aren't Commissioner Bettman's call. While I'm sure Bettman, being a singular individual who serves as the public face of the NHL, makes a convenient scapegoat for you

The problem is that the BOG, like any administrative board, can only vote on what it's president brings to the agenda. Betteman, in his quality of Commissioner of the NHL is the president of the BOG. That means he decides what gets voted on. If he wants to prevent the relocation of a team all he has to do is to avoid the matter with the BOG.

So, yes, the main culprit is Betteman.:shakehead

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
wow, what is all of your problems? :S obviously I meant everyone else as in all the people on the boards and other fans worldwide. sure I made a mistake by saying that but it only takes one person to point it out and simply correct it. also nobody answered my second question, do the GM's have to vote him back in or something?

The commissioner doesn't serve at the pleasure of the fans. The commissioner is accountable to the Board of Governors.

The problem is that the BOG, like any administrative board, can only vote on what it's president brings to the agenda. Betteman, in his quality of Commissioner of the NHL is the president of the BOG. That means he decides what gets voted on. If he wants to prevent the relocation of a team all he has to do is to avoid the matter with the BOG.

The agenda is not defined by the commissioner or the office. Each Governor has the ability to bring issues to the Board.

There is this overarching theme on this board that the commissior's office is some public trust. It isn't.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
obviously I meant everyone else as in all the people on the boards and other fans worldwide.

Still wrong. Plenty of people on this board think he's doing a pretty decent job.

The league is in pretty good shape overall. It's been growing tremendously. Ratings, revenues, and attendance are all high. The CBA that Bettman fought for has been a really good and stabilizing thing for the league.

Has Bettman made some mistakes? Sure. Does the league have a handful of troubled franchises? Yes, but so does every league. I like that Bettman stood by the Penguins, Sabres, and Senators when they were going through bankruptcy and helped them find new ownership, and I like that he's doing the same for Phoenix. I don't think that moving franchises the every time they run into financial difficulties makes a good commissioner. Seems like the easy way out, but I think Bettman is taking the long-view here.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Having been the chairman of a nonprofit's board of directors, anytime a chairman or commissioner or president of any organization puts forward an agenda, s/he solicits the members of that board for agenda items. I don't imagine Bettman would deviate wildly from that format. Beyond that, if there's some agenda item that the owners - and by extension the BOG - want to see on the agenda, I don't think Bettman would be in a place to suppress that agenda item lest he face the same type of ouster that former-MLB commissioner Fay Vincent received. Indeed, Vincent's removal from his post just a year before Bettman became the NHL's commissioner probably served as a strong warning as to what happens to League commissioners who act without the approval of the owners.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
I think Bettman is, by far, the best commissioner of the 4 major sports, so please exclude me in 'everyone'.

You could have someone like Selig, who quite possibly broke the law in the whole maneuver to get the Expos out of Montreal, Stern who has presided over the decline of the NBA into irrevelancy except for a few large markets, or Goodell who can't stop himself from destroying the golden goose.

That doesn't even touch on someone like Sepp Blatter....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think Bettman is, by far, the best commissioner of the 4 major sports, so please exclude me in 'everyone'....That doesn't even touch on someone like Sepp Blatter....

Based on the # of posts here pro & con, looks like were ahead..... Was wondering when someone was going to raise the awful specter of Sepp. :scared: What a piece of work, never mind the handle...the laughing emoticons available just arent big nor expressive enough. Man, where would you even begin?. Or Rene' Fasel.........yikes....

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think Bettman is, by far, the best commissioner of the 4 major sports, so please exclude me in 'everyone'.

I'd like to opt out as well. The job Bettman is asked to do isn't easy, and he's done it well. We could be in a lot worse places than this.

And as for "it only takes one person to point it out and simply correct it", I was responding to you at the same time as Ike.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Local radio media here are saying there are plenty of owners very unhappy with GB on both issues of Pho and Atlanta and are not at all happy and i would suggest there is likely some unhappy memebers where there si smoke there is fire and he did not egt a vote of confidence on his work at last BOG according to reports , i dont like him do think there are far better hockey people that would do a better job it will come down to owners and their money if screws up with their cash he will pay.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Local radio media here are saying there are plenty of owners very unhappy with GB on both issues of Pho and Atlanta and are not at all happy and i would suggest there is likely some unhappy memebers where there si smoke there is fire and he did not egt a vote of confidence on his work at last BOG according to reports , i dont like him do think there are far better hockey people that would do a better job it will come down to owners and their money if screws up with their cash he will pay.

How about you
A) Give some sources to back up your statements here - not just the nebulous "local radio media here." Well that's great - but who's to say some local radio jock in Kamloops or Abbotsford or Burnaby or wherever really has a bead on what's happening in *closed* Board of Governor's meetings? Why would they be upset over anything happening in Phoenix when the owners in their capacity as members of the BoG are making the decisions as to what happens, not Commissioner Bettman. There may be some owners who disagree with what's going on, but the simple fact that the League is moving in the direction that it is illustrates that those owners would be in the minority.

Mod: deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlton Orr*

You could have someone like Selig, who quite possibly broke the law in the whole maneuver to get the Expos out of Montreal, Stern who has presided over the decline of the NBA into irrevelancy except for a few large markets, or Goodell who can't stop himself from destroying the golden goose.

That doesn't even touch on someone like Sepp Blatter....

or have someone who has cancels the ****ing season like that ******* bettman.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i also like GB as a commish.

and i'm a fan of a team that almost ended up in houston.

Carlton Orr*

i also like GB as a commish.

and i'm a fan of a team that almost ended up in houston.

seriously? so we can have another team average 13000 fans a game. It's football 24/7 down there. High school football would rival a nhl teams popularity in Houston.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
seriously? so we can have another team average 13000 fans a game. It's football 24/7 down there. High school football would rival a nhl teams popularity in Houston.

Yet somehow the Houston Aeros are in the Top 10 in AHL attendance, outpacing "traditional markets" like Abbottsford, Rochester, and yes, even Hamilton.

CC Chiefs*

Yet somehow the Houston Aeros are in the Top 10 in AHL attendance, outpacing "traditional markets" like Abbottsford, Rochester, and yes, even Hamilton.

WHA had crappy attendance. Here is Houstons biggest average number:

Houston Aeros 9,180

Not great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->