Gary Bettman "We think the format we have works extremely well ... unless you're a Leafs fan."

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I thought it was funny.

though I will point out that there have been many fanbases/franchises complaining about the playoff format for years. (the Leafs have not). and he Leafs fanbase (for the most part) isn't stupidly vocal about it no more than any other one. so I would wonder (while it was a great zinger of a joke) why specifically single out the Leafs fanbase about it? that's the part that would make me raise an eyebrow.

i mean. if Brendan Shanahan went out and said "well you know we think the non cap era/non revenue sharing format worked extremely unless you were an Edmonton Oiler fan it would be fire and brimstone. (even though it was another zinger of a joke).

to me it's not about being thick/thin skinned. it's just more of - the Leafs/Leafs Fans are expected to bend over and continuously take whatever crap is flung their way. I don't know any other affluential franchise in the big 4 sport that generates the revenue, media attention and the like would get zinged like that (without any provocation mind you) by the commissioner of the league. the fact that some people think that this is okay (even while acknowledging the funny) makes me raise an eyebrow.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
So, Team A is clearly the league's top team and has a great season. Team B is almost as good but loses several key players to injury and barely squeaks into the playoffs because those key players all return fully healthy just before the playoffs. The two teams are set to meet in the first round. How should the playoffs have been set up so this wouldn't happen?
What?????

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
this is so sad.

Leaf fans are so beaten down and lifeless they think this kind of crap is normal and acceptable.

Fans, in general, are the lowest rung on the NHL ladder. I can't believe how important some of them think they are.

And yet another example of the "Wah! Wah! Wah! We're so oppressed" garbage that I am tired of hearing from my fellow Leaf fans.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I was just trying to set up a situation where in something like 1-8 playoff situation, two top teams could end up playing each other.
Two good teams wouldn't likely play each other in the first round, it's possible, but rare,the current format it's happening every year, which is not right.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Bulletin board material is usually something negative about the team that motivates them. This is a quip about Leaf fans. I can't see the players being motivated by it. I think they're well aware what their fanbase can be like.

you mean being passionate about their team, want them to win, is upset when they don't (or don't show in effort) and just wants a championship, can be rabid in their passion especially if they get drunk and the like.. just like, you know. every other team's fans. Yes, I would imagine that any team is well aware what their fanbase is like.

It's interesting how some, I assume, Leaf fans equate a crack at them as being a crack at the Leafs. Are you honestly that arrogant? Do you really consider yourselves the same as the actual team? I suspect that Leafs ownership and management at least chuckled at the comment as I'm sure they, unlike some of the fanbase, realize how silly some of their fans can be at times.

Some people on the Leafs board wonder why I dislike the Leafs fanbase at times. Some of the replies by Leaf fans in this thread are a good example of why.

but what i find interesting is that there are also a good chunk of people who mentioned that it was a joke, was amused at the joke, and then pointed out what was wrong with the joke. . I honestly don't think people wonder why you dislike the Leafs fanbase at times, i think they wonder (as do i), why you bother spending time here if all you do is chastise people for questions they pose, how they feel, and never really bring up anything else, other than "the fanbase deserve it, so therefore lump it." I get certain people/factions within the fanbase makes you tired, i get tired with a lot of the dumbness but i don't hold myself above everyone else. I cheer for the Leafs i'm a part of the fanbase. how you post, it's like you are above the fanbase, so like why be here? no one likes people who lords over everyone else nor is it necessary.

He didn't take a shot at a team. He took a well-deserved shot at a team's fans. Fans do not equal team.

why is it a well-deserved shot?

there are many pundits in the media (not just Toronto), and many fans (not just Leaf fans) that complain every year that the format is not fair, that it should be 1 to 8. (and there are as many LEAF FANS who point out that even if it was 1-8 because of the parity the leafs will still face a cup contending favourite in the first or second round so it doesn't make a difference).. so why, when organizations call it out (not the Leafs) and fanbases call it out (other than the Leafs) that it's okay but like 3 weeks in October when all leafs fans really want is the team to be freaking consistent and noone is talking about the seeding - taking a shot at the fan base well deserved?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Two good teams wouldn't likely play each other in the first round, it's possible, but rare,the current format it's happening every year, which is not right.

actually it'snot true.

someone does a video on this every year.
people complain about 1-8, and then people just using points shows that for the most part it lines up just as it would give or take say - the Leafs would play Pittsburgh vs. Boston. (but the difference is Leafs would have home ice not the Penguins).

it's sort of akin to i think? 2002? when the Leafs had more points than Carolina but Carolina got home ice because per usual that division was a massive joke. but divisional leaders got home ice advantage.

for a league that screams parity they still don't just have it based on flat Points.

whoever has the points wins home ice, the end (which is how it should be). and i've been saying that when the Leafs had no shot in the playoffs at al. and i firmly believe it doesn't matter you have to beat 4 good teams to win the cup end of story.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

So, when you said "there's no way that two top teams should face each other in the first round, case closed," you really meant "two top teams should seldom meet in the first." Got it.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wouldn’t have a problem with this, but considering the context of everything... it pisses me off.

We’ve been inexcusably getting shafted in terms of officiating the past two years. The Leafs generate the most revenue for the league and keep lesser teams afloat. Because of the poor performance of lesser teams, the cap stagnates, we get shafted there as well. Our star franchise player and one of the most marketable athletes in the entire league takes a blatant headshot last night with no penalty or suspension. Playoff format makes zero sense and f***s us.

Im rambling but the point is, we get treated like shit when we’re the league’s cash cow. Besides, when does a commissioner in any major sport league take a shot at a specific team in the league?

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Im rambling but the point is, we get treated like **** when we’re the league’s cash cow. Besides, when does a commissioner in any major sport league take a shot at a specific team in the league?

Once again, a shot at the team's fans, not the team!

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
actually it'snot true.

someone does a video on this every year.
people complain about 1-8, and then people just using points shows that for the most part it lines up just as it would give or take say - the Leafs would play Pittsburgh vs. Boston. (but the difference is Leafs would have home ice not the Penguins).

it's sort of akin to i think? 2002? when the Leafs had more points than Carolina but Carolina got home ice because per usual that division was a massive joke. but divisional leaders got home ice advantage.

for a league that screams parity they still don't just have it based on flat Points.

whoever has the points wins home ice, the end (which is how it should be). and i've been saying that when the Leafs had no shot in the playoffs at al. and i firmly believe it doesn't matter you have to beat 4 good teams to win the cup end of story.
It seems weird that you finish 2nd and play the 3rd best team 1st round, yes you still have to win 4 rounds, but your last round should be the toughest, not the 1st. Fans keep complaining fire Babcock if we don't get to 2nd round, well last year Boston and Toronto should have faced each other in the conference finals.

Reactions: OddyOh

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
you mean being passionate about their team, want them to win, is upset when they don't (or don't show in effort) and just wants a championship, can be rabid in their passion especially if they get drunk and the like.. just like, you know. every other team's fans. Yes, I would imagine that any team is well aware what their fanbase is like.

but what i find interesting is that there are also a good chunk of people who mentioned that it was a joke, was amused at the joke, and then pointed out what was wrong with the joke. . I honestly don't think people wonder why you dislike the Leafs fanbase at times, i think they wonder (as do i), why you bother spending time here if all you do is chastise people for questions they pose, how they feel, and never really bring up anything else, other than "the fanbase deserve it, so therefore lump it." I get certain people/factions within the fanbase makes you tired, i get tired with a lot of the dumbness but i don't hold myself above everyone else. I cheer for the Leafs i'm a part of the fanbase. how you post, it's like you are above the fanbase, so like why be here? no one likes people who lords over everyone else nor is it necessary.

why is it a well-deserved shot?

there are many pundits in the media (not just Toronto), and many fans (not just Leaf fans) that complain every year that the format is not fair, that it should be 1 to 8. (and there are as many LEAF FANS who point out that even if it was 1-8 because of the parity the leafs will still face a cup contending favourite in the first or second round so it doesn't make a difference).. so why, when organizations call it out (not the Leafs) and fanbases call it out (other than the Leafs) that it's okay but like 3 weeks in October when all leafs fans really want is the team to be freaking consistent and noone is talking about the seeding - taking a shot at the fan base well deserved?

It's a well-deserved shot, because there is a vocal chunk of the Leafs fanbase that is majorly annoying. Any shot at such a fanbase is well-deserved. There are probably other fanbases for which such a shot would also be well-deserved, but I am less familiar with other fanbases.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It seems weird that you finish 2nd and play the 3rd best team 1st round, yes you still have to win 4 rounds, but your last round should be the toughest, not the 1st. Fans keep complaining fire Babcock if we don't get to 2nd round, well last year Boston and Toronto should have faced each other in the conference finals.

There's a very simple solution. If you really don't like the NHL playoff format, don't watch the NHL.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Once again, a shot at the team's fans, not the team!

What’s your point? Fans are what drives league revenue. Leaf fans play a significant role in ensuring the league is sustainable: allowing teams like Arizona, Florida, Ottawa, etc. to exist.

We get rewarded with a stagnant hard cap because those teams can’t afford to meet a higher cap floor. All in the name of the competitive balance. Can’t stand the playoff format that pits top teams in the league against each other in round 1. Isn’t it fantastic that this happens as soon as we get a talented team after a decade of suffering?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What’s your point? Fans are what drives league revenue. Leaf fans play a significant role in ensuring the league is sustainable: allowing teams like Arizona, Florida, Ottawa, etc. to exist.

We get rewarded with a stagnant hard cap because those teams can’t afford to meet a higher cap floor. All in the name of the competitive balance. Can’t stand the playoff format that pits top teams in the league against each other in round 1. Isn’t it fantastic that this happens as soon as we get a talented team after a decade of suffering?

Fans are customers of the team. They are not the team. If I make a crack about Walmart shoppers, that is not a crack about Walmart.

The cap does not exist for competitive balance. It exists for cost certainty for the teams. And the Leafs actually probably like the hard cap, given that they are likely spending less money when you combine payroll and revenue sharing than they would be paying if there was no cap.

If you want a say in the playoff format, buy an NHL team. Until then, you're just someone who lives vicariously through those who actually play the game.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
If you don’t think the Leafs are little disheartened by the playoff format, I don’t know what to tell you. You’re wrong. This was most certainly a shot at the entire Leaf nation.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Fans, in general, are the lowest rung on the NHL ladder. I can't believe how important some of them think they are.

And yet another example of the "Wah! Wah! Wah! We're so oppressed" garbage that I am tired of hearing from my fellow Leaf fans.

You'll never get that pat on the back from the hater masses you're waiting for for parroting this, you know.

It's not coming.

have a little self respect. it's hard with how many people are bent on shitting on team, but try at least.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wow, that would be an irrational overreaction.

It’s only an overreaction if they’re exaggerating their dislike of the playoff system.

Personally, I find the playoff system a little annoying — like a stubbed toe, something not really worth complaining about. A lot of people carry on like it’s a broken leg if not full scale paralysis. So I assume that the playoff system is causing them to be majorly unhappy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad