Gary Bettman "We think the format we have works extremely well ... unless you're a Leafs fan."

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You'll never get that pat on the back from the hater masses you're waiting for for parroting this, you know.

It's not coming.

have a little self respect. it's hard with how many people are bent on ****ting on team, but try at least.

Huh. I’m not wanting a pat on the back from anyone. Actually, I’m not sure there’s anybody on these boards that I care what they think of me. I’m just sick and tired of a lot of common Leaf fan behaviour. Actually, it may be true of other fanbases as well, but I don’t really pay much attention to them.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Fans, in general, are the lowest rung on the NHL ladder. I can't believe how important some of them think they are.

And yet another example of the "Wah! Wah! Wah! We're so oppressed" garbage that I am tired of hearing from my fellow Leaf fans.
If there are no fans, there is no money and there is no team. Even if you bring up advertisers and sponsors, no one will sponsor or advertise your team/product/whatever if there are no fans to advertise to. Most teams move away because fans don't invest in their team. There's also plenty of cases where franchises are saved because of quality talent on their team that people want to see. To downplay the importance of fans, is nothing short of ignorance. Fans are absolutely important and vital to the survival of a sports franchise, because without fans , there'd be no sport.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Fans, in general, are the lowest rung on the NHL ladder. I can't believe how important some of them think they are.

And yet another example of the "Wah! Wah! Wah! We're so oppressed" garbage that I am tired of hearing from my fellow Leaf fans.

How are fans the lowest rung on the NHL ladder? They are the customer. No fans, no league. Sorry. It's ridiculous that you think any major league can operate without fans. The fans are very important.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
How are fans the lowest rung on the NHL ladder? They are the customer. No fans, no league. Sorry. It's ridiculous that you think any major league can operate without fans. The fans are very important.

Okay. I was probably wrong with the lowest rung comment. Still, a company and its customers are two separate things.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It doesn't even matter if the Leafs make the playoffs or not, the format is flawed, there's no way that two top teams should face each other in the first round, case closed.

It doesn't really matter whether you beat the toughest conference opponent in the 1st or the 3rd round. You have to be able to beat them if your objective is the Cup. If showing that your the 4th best team in the league is the objective, then its more important and relevant then I guess.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

tenor.gif

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It doesn't really matter whether you beat the toughest conference opponent in the 1st or the 3rd round. You have to be able to beat them if your objective is the Cup. If showing that your the 4th best team in the league is the objective, then its more important and relevant then I guess.
When you get eliminated 1st round, the fans want the coach fired, if it's 2nd or 3rd round fans are more forgiving.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Probably not the best team if you go down in the first round no?
Or did you mean Tampa-Boston?

Tampa was swept by Columbus. I think I just prefer 1-8, or anything but the current model. Ideally 1-16, the travel wouldn’t work, but at least we’d get some new matchups.

At least he realizes this league is comical. If the Leafs had beaten Boston every year, would he make the same joke?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It doesn't even matter if the Leafs make the playoffs or not, the format is flawed, there's no way that two top teams should face each other in the first round, case closed.
Unless you think Winnipeg was the second best team (which I wouldn't completely negate), then the top two teams didn't face each other in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad