TSN: Garrioch: Boucher going nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Boucher has worn himself out with over half the room, if they keep him then I'd suspect a rather large exodus this summer via players asking to be moved.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I know it won't happen, but it should. Anyways we'll see who replaces Boucher next year in November or December.

But that's the thing.

What we are talking about here is Boucher making it to the start of next season.

Next season being the last year of his contract works both ways: it makes it less painful to let him go when he has one season left on his deal.

What I am saying is firing him before October or November of this year doesn't make sense.

He will be on a very short leash next season. As it should be.

So we agree.

GoBlue99

Dec 21, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
(Paraphrasing) "I may be completely wrong, I don't know anything, but my feeling is that Guy Boucher isn't going anywhere during the season OR at season's end".

This was on the pre-game show before Sens Leafs Feb 10 on TSN1200.

For someone who is so smart, Boucher is really stubborn. Adjust with the times, stop this trap garbage and play with speed and aggression.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I have no doubt that 65 will be much closer to his normal self next year (not 12/8 on July 1 confident, but still).

I am worried that we are looking at the new Anderson.

Anderson is gonna be 37 in 2 months. We shouldn't even be thinking of him when it comes to the future goaltending of this team. It's basically about whether he can be good enough to be a backup until his contract ends and he can retire. I guess the other issue is if he's worth it as a backup at 5 million or if he should he bought out.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
But that's the thing.

What we are talking about here is Boucher making it to the start of next season.

Next season being the last year of his contract works both ways: it makes it less painful to let him go when he has one season left on his deal.

What I am saying is firing him before October or November of this year doesn't make sense.

He will be on a very short leash next season. As it should be.

So we agree.
No, we don't. We should be looking at coaches in the summer, not midseason. Wait till midseason and you end up with our farm team coach, Crawford or someone who wasn't good enough to be picked up in the summer.

Reactions: Cosmix and Slack

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
No, we don't. We should be looking at coaches in the summer, not midseason. Wait till midseason and you end up with our farm team coach, Crawford or someone who wasn't good enough to be picked up in the summer.

Not to mention if Guy is fired in December then it means the team got off to a bad start which means making the playoffs even with the new coach (even if it was Scotty Bowman) would seem unlikely.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Maybe they are waiting to see if any other ‘real’ coaches get turfed this summer.

That is no doubt what is happening. For this first time ever, no coaches have been fired this season.
We don’t have money for any of those coaches if other team also offer them jobs.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Boucher can adjust to the "new NHL" then I don't mind this because he is a brilliant hockey mind but the systems he employs seem to wear off on players with time and it might not be efficient for more than a short period of time. Teams adjust and

With the personnel and assets* this team has, they have to be an offensive team, gotta optimize their offensive talent. Bring some players that will help them express offensive talent (White might be the type of guy this team needs, create space and possession). Spend less time defending, reduce goals against. But of course, gotta fix the goaltending.

* Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Ryan, Brassard, Dzingel, Brown, Batherson, Chlapik, White, Formenton, Gagne, Luchuk, Perron... Karlsson, Chabot, Ceci, Phaneuf, Wolanin, Jaros...

It's Boucher last chance. If he doesn't adjust, he will be out of the NHL and might never get another chance. Note : his systems would have been pretty efficient back in the days with all the grabbing and clutching and without the change of lines usage, etc.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
There's nothing sensible about expecting something to change that has been one way for years. There's absolutely no reason to believe Boucher will change anything about how he operates. There's no downside to bringing in New blood.

I know it won't happen, but it should. Anyways we'll see who replaces Boucher next year in November or December.

There's also no reason to believe based on the Sens recent track record that they won't "play for one year then bomb the next" again regardless of which coach the Sens theoretically hire.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We've changed tons of players, mostly for the worse I might add. Its an organizational structure issue
Well that’s the thing. I mean people over think this. Yes. Our owner is eccentric and an ass. But if we had a smart GM and smart people around him that identified good players and added them identified bad players and subtracted them and drafted well (not saying we don’t draft well) and we were a good team. None of this matters that much. You think anyone gives a shit about the owner being an ass if we’re successful?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's also no reason to believe based on the Sens recent track record that they won't "play for one year then bomb the next" again regardless of which coach the Sens theoretically hire.
Well we better do nothing to remedy the problems with the team. We can take the Boucher approach and just let the opposition come at us relentlessly, on the ice, on the bench and in the GM's office. Maybe we should give Boucher an extension now? Just sit back and accept our fate.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Well we better do nothing to remedy the problems with the team. We can take the Boucher approach and just let the opposition come at us relentlessly, on the ice, on the bench and in the GM's office. Maybe we should give Boucher an extension now? Just sit back and accept our fate.
Boucher now has a 30-some game audition to show everyone that he can adapt. If he keeps insisting on his tactics and we see no change in execution, then he probably isn’t back in September. If he does show an ability to adapt then it’s a free upgrade.

But to declare in February that Boucher must be dumped for this team to have ongoing success seems to me to be really premature.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon

How you get any of that based on what I said is quite the leap...a Quantum leap even...oh...never mind.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
See this a lot. But where does this come from? I don't see it. I see a guy who seems to quickly alienate players and refuses to budge when things aren't working.
People see his education and think he's smart. Then they see he's employed by a pro hockey and see he's a hockey guy. You add it all up he's a smart hockey guy on paper just not in practice.

Reactions: lancepitlick

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If he does stay, which im not particularly stoked about, he's going to have to have a Dwayne Casey like transformation. Accept how the game has changed and play to your strengths, stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Reactions: JesseHenry9

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
It should depend on the goal of next season. If the goal is to develop youth, etc. then a new coach might be best. If the goal is to grind your way to squeezing into the playoffs and then hoping to play teams weakened due to injuries then Boucher might stay.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well that’s the thing. I mean people over think this. Yes. Our owner is eccentric and an ass. But if we had a smart GM and smart people around him that identified good players and added them identified bad players and subtracted them and drafted well (not saying we don’t draft well) and we were a good team. None of this matters that much. You think anyone gives a **** about the owner being an ass if we’re successful?
Yes, the players obviously do as reflected by Turris and his wife speaking out when he left the organization.

They may be operating on a false belief that our idiot owner is interfering in hockey matters, but the fact that they broke protocol and spoke out indicates the concern in the dressing room with this owner being an ass.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
people saying it's not fair to fire boucher after one bad season. it's not like there's precedent from his last two head coaching positions of having a team over achieve then fall of a cliff the next season. we should totally keep boucher around I'm sure he will figure it out! seems like a smart, level headed and flexible guy! I would love to have him as our head coach with all of our young players next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad