Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks signs a 1 year 2-way contract

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Andersen will probably play 65 plus games though. Sparks could handle 17 or so games i think. Thats some nice value right there at that money. I think he will be better next go around and that seems like the unpopular view on the boards.

I stand by Sparks. Just lost his confidence for a spell there. You could be right though and Lou gets a veteran back-up.

If Andersen went down, we're absolutely screwed if Sparks was to be our starter for a prolonged period of time. I'd rather a veteran guy like Enroth who is more capable of holding the fort in the event that happened.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Goaltenders typically don't reach their prime until mid-late 20s. I'm still excited to see where Sparks may go.

He stole my heart on this night:

damn i wanted nothing to do with him until you made me watch this again. now i hope he's a star for us.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
CapFriendly CONFIRMED:
Garret Sparks
1 year / 2 way deal
NHL: $575,000
Minor: $100,000
($150,000 Guaranteed)

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Um, not for nothin, but Sparks played hurt for the better part of the last 20 games. Basically, he tweaked his groin, which gave the starter job back to Bernier. He looked good (not great) before the injury though. When he played later, it wasn't 100%, but he played through it trying to demonstrate his commitment to the team. That just made the injury worse. Ended up being the reason Bibeau started in the playoffs for the Marlies. Sparks was hurt all along. I discovered this quite recently because I couldn't figure out why Keefe went with Bibeau, when Sparks clearly had the better numbers.

Interesting, can you name your source or would that be talking out of class?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
damn i wanted nothing to do with him until you made me watch this again. now i hope he's a star for us.

Now now, I didn't MAKE you watch it ;)

But you've got to think, after getting a test of the NHL, both good and bad... this kid must be quite motivated this offseason. Next year will be huge for him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sparks would have had a 6-4-1 record had Bernier played the last five games of the season. He lost all 5 games and it artificially inflated his Gaa and reduced his Sv% because of the small sample size.

He was pretty darn good otherwise! For a rookie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good for him! He's still raw as a prospect and needs more time to "cook", I saw flashes of brilliance during his time wth the Leafs so no harm in the new contract.

There's no reason why he should have been up for as long as he was with the Leafs though. I'm convinced hat was part of a management "protect the tank" job once they called up those forward prospects who began to perform well. That and Babcock clearly had no faith in Bernier.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Yes it says that in the title.
Did you quote me by mistake?

dLfPsSw.png

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He's only taken his career seriously for a little over a calendar year. I still have hope for him to grow significantly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Andersen went down, we're absolutely screwed if Sparks was to be our starter for a prolonged period of time. I'd rather a veteran guy like Enroth who is more capable of holding the fort in the event that happened.

I would worry about Andersen going down when it would actually happen. That was a horrible team last year that all three tenders had a losing record with. Reimer had a 2.49 gaa and .920 sv% and could only scratch out a 11-12-7 record.

Sparks can't be evaluated fairly under the circumstances of playing on that disaster of a team. I could see Lou definitely go with him as back-up for Andersen.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's babcocks ace in his back pocket, in case we need to drop 3-4 spots in short time this upcoming season... He will be our guy. ;)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I would worry about Andersen going down when it would actually happen. That was a horrible team last year that all three tenders had a losing record with. Reimer had a 2.49 gaa and .920 sv% and could only scratch out a 11-12-7 record.

Sparks can't be evaluated fairly under the circumstances of playing on that disaster of a team. I could see Lou definitely go with him as back-up for Andersen.

Not a chance
They've said publicly they want a veteran backup

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He should have retired after his first NHL game.

He's brutal but thanks for Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad