Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks signs a 1 year 2-way contract

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Now we just need his competition, which is looking more like a PTO or a trade by the day. If it was Enroth or another guy on a guaranteed contract, why isn't he signed by now? I get priority #1 is probably Matthews and the RFA's, but still. If he's your guy you don't want to lose him either.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Based on his charming personality? Definitely.

Based on his ability to play net? Definitely not.

Bad team taking a nosedive and plenty of defensive wraknesses wouldn't help the kids confidence. He was a bit erratic at times i agree. A bit squirrelly on the aggression side of the position i know. Just needs to quiet his game down a smidge and compact how far he slides out of the crease. He'll be ok.

$575,000 and waiver exempt is awesome.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bad team taking a nosedive and plenty of defensive wraknesses wouldn't help the kids confidence. He was a bit erratic at times i agree. A bit squirrelly on the aggression side of the position i know. Just needs to quiet his game down a smidge and compact how far he slides out of the crease. He'll be ok.

$575,000 and waiver exempt is awesome.

We were a bad team all year...and he did let in quite a few soft goals. I don't think we're going to put in Sparks behind Andersen. Bank on a legit back up coming in.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I don’t know why so many people have written this kid off already...

Lets go Sparks! Glad to have you back :)

One thing that may go missed by many is his history with work ethic.
It's in the interviews. He was on the couch eatin junk food when he got drafted.
It wasn't till the AHL that he realised how behind he was on conditioning.
So last year was effectively his first ever year of good conditioning.

It will pay to be patient with him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We were a bad team all year...and he did let in quite a few soft goals. I don't think we're going to put in Sparks behind Andersen. Bank on a legit back up coming in.

Andersen will probably play 65 plus games though. Sparks could handle 17 or so games i think. Thats some nice value right there at that money. I think he will be better next go around and that seems like the unpopular view on the boards.

I stand by Sparks. Just lost his confidence for a spell there. You could be right though and Lou gets a veteran back-up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Goaltenders typically don't reach their prime until mid-late 20s. I'm still excited to see where Sparks may go.

He stole my heart on this night:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He just turned 23. He's slated to be the third stringer. Some of you are being overly harsh about him, I'm not sure why.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
very raw goaltender who I saw live a ton when he played for Guelph. Bias aside he is young still and needs to develop more to get to a backup role with the leafs. I would put money they acquire a veteran backup.

What will be interesting is Sparks & Bibeau's usage with the Marlies - tandem? starter?

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Um, not for nothin, but Sparks played hurt for the better part of the last 20 games. Basically, he tweaked his groin, which gave the starter job back to Bernier. He looked good (not great) before the injury though. When he played later, it wasn't 100%, but he played through it trying to demonstrate his commitment to the team. That just made the injury worse. Ended up being the reason Bibeau started in the playoffs for the Marlies. Sparks was hurt all along. I discovered this quite recently because I couldn't figure out why Keefe went with Bibeau, when Sparks clearly had the better numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad