Former Bruins Garnet Hathaway

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’ve been very vocally NOT a fan.

Gotta admit… he’s been very good.

Many people here told me that even though I hated him, I’d love him if he were on the Bruins. I vehemently disagreed.

I may have been wrong. He’s uh… I think he’s been the most consistently impressive addition the Bruins made this deadline. As in, I don’t think he’s had a really bad game.

I kinda hope he re-signs. :groucho:

aguineapig

It doesn't matter if we accept or approve of Hathaway, all that matters is if the boys in the room have. And by all appearances they have done just that. He took on Maroon and scored the GWG against Tampa as well as the Wings by going to the net. He gets in on the forecheck, finishes his checks, kills penalties and just as importantly hasn't taken any foolish penalties all the while getting under the opponents skin. Built for a playoff run. He's a fellow Mainer, a gamer and he's a Bruin. All the way with Hathaway.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hathaway is like if Nick Ritchie laid off the donuts, lost 20 pounds, and could keep up with the pace of play.

Haha.

Actually, if you read the Matt Porter piece Wally posted (sic), I rather doubt that would be the case.

Nick Ritchie is fat, slow, talented and lacking a pulse.

It's hilarious that in their desperate yet halfhearted attempt to toughen up a group largely defined by their skill and softness under Bruce Cassidy -- who doesn't care about physicality and never did, which certainly showed throughout his tenure in Boston -- they signed both Brett & Nick Ritchie, which is easy to forget.

Easy to forget because, not to be a meanie, both are utterly forgettable players. Or were. Are either still in the league?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Haha.

Actually, if you read the Matt Porter piece Wally posted (sic), I rather doubt that would be the case.

It's hilarious that in their desperate yet halfhearted attempt to toughen up a group largely defined by their skill and softness under Bruce Cassidy -- who doesn't care about physicality and never did, which certainly showed throughout his tenure in Boston -- they signed both Brett & Nick Ritchie, which is easy to forget.

Easy to forget because, not to be a meanie, both are utterly forgettable players. Or were. Are either still in the league?

They actually got traded for each other at the deadline

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Meh…..when I was 16 I had Reggie Fleming spit at me.

I pretty much deserved it in hindsight.
Let's hear the story.

I have one of my own, though minor by comparison.

Reggie Fleming, nearly at the end of the line and playing for the expansion Buffalo Sabres in '70-'71, was a client of my father's. (My father was an attorney based in Detroit, and had several local athletes as clients.)

I met Fleming at the time. I was probably seven or eight years old.

And, I can confirm, at least according to my eldest sister Mary Kay, who baby sat for him, Reg Fleming was an unpleasant fellow.

PS I had no idea that Fleming played, effectively and in combative fashion, on very good Chicago clubs, even helping them win the Cup in 1961,

Okay, Wally. You're up.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
WHA at the old Boston Arena. He was playing for Chicago Cougars against the Whalers.

I may have said something about his wife.

Let's hear the story.

Reggie Fleming, nearly at the end of the line and playing for the expansion Buffalo Sabres in '70-'71, was a client of my father's. (My father was an attorney based in Detroit, and had several local athletes as clients.)

And, I can confirm, at least according to my eldest sister Mary Kay, who baby sat for him, Reg Fleming was an unpleasant fellow.

PS I had no idea that Fleming played, effectively and in combative fashion, on very good Chicago clubs, even helping them win the Cup in 1961,

Okay, Wally. You're up.

there you go.

Reactions: GordonHowe

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Let's hear the story.

Okay, Wally. You're up.
The Bruins, of course, traded Reg "cement head" Fleming for Pie Mackenzie. I think they won that. ...

Reactions: GordonHowe

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
I had season seats for the SD Gulls when Ritchie came up. He was so hyped up it was ridiculous. Guy has a goal scorers touch. But was lazy, slow and took lazy penalties away from the play. Hasn't changed much since then.

Back to Hathaway. Always hated him with the Caps. But always wished the B's had someone like him. Forechecks, Hits hard, stirs the pot a bit, and scores the occasional goal. Outside of a legit brawler. what more could you expect out of a 4th liner?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Was listening to the 32 Thoughts podcast from right after we got he and Orlov and they said he became a target after his game winner against us a few weeks before.

They said Washington didn’t really let teams know who was available and when Boston inquired about him that’s when the found out about Orlov and the rest is history.

He’s been great so far and I hope a deal for an extension can be reached bc he was born to be a Bruin

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I had season seats for the SD Gulls when Ritchie came up. He was so hyped up it was ridiculous. Guy has a goal scorers touch. But was lazy, slow and took lazy penalties away from the play. Hasn't changed much since then.

Back to Hathaway. Always hated him with the Caps. But always wished the B's had someone like him. Forechecks, Hits hard, stirs the pot a bit, and scores the occasional goal. Outside of a legit brawler. what more could you expect out of a 4th liner?

Little else.

Having read about his story, his character (yes), his work ethic, et. al.,

I'm sold.

PS Love "Shoresy."

Reactions: FU Shoresy

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Of all of the newer guys he is the one they can afford to keep and he fits in perfectly.

I would keep him and let the other 2 walk, they just cannot have all the shiny toys.

Reactions: Olden McGroin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad