Proposal: Garland

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The Yotes aren’t close to competing (again) and could use some good pieces to kick start a little rebuild.

The Avs need to shed some cap and have some enticing pieces to accompany some for the Yotes.

Arizona receives: Kaut, Compher, and a 4th

Avs receive: Garland and a 2nd

This all goes down provided the Avs can ensure Garland and the locker room get along.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So Coyotes need to rebuild so they will end up giving up a somewhat young player on a cheap contract and a 2nd round pick for a guy who at this point is a lesser version of Garland a Cap Dump and a 4th?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My guess is the Coyotes don't want to trade Garland but they are open to the idea of an equal value player, roughly of the same age or younger whose contract is worse. Therefore trade Garland for Equal Value + a draft pick to even things out due to contracts

Reactions: UConn126

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Yotes aren’t close to competing (again) and could use some good pieces to kick start a little rebuild.

The Avs need to shed some cap and have some enticing pieces to accompany some for the Yotes.

Arizona receives: Kaut, Compher, and a 4th

Avs receive: Garland and a 2nd

This all goes down provided the Avs can ensure Garland and the locker room get along.
You would have to add Newhook to that for it to be even remotely worth thinking about.

Reactions: Heldig

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think you’re overvaluing Colorado’s pieces and undervaluing Arizona’s to be honest.

One of the big reasons Arizona is willing to trade Garland is so they can recoup some picks they lost in their draft prospect scandal so they wouldn’t be willing to part with that second round pick.
Kaut is a nice piece but he’s really all that has value for Arizona in your offer and he’s not enough to bring back Garland let alone a second rounder to boot.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Would take Newhook+. Adding Compher doesn’t help either.

Garland is a stud but the Avs don’t need to empty the coffers for a winger.

Garland isn’t returning a top prospect like Newhook alone let alone adding the plus. Garland is a great piece but he isn’t that good.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Garland isn’t returning a top prospect like Newhook alone let alone adding the plus. Garland is a great piece but he isn’t that good.

As a neutral fan I disagree. Arizona doesn’t have to move him. Provided you can extend him at a fair number for both sides I think 1st+Newhook is about right.

Hefty cost, but to entice Arizona enough that they do it, it needs to be.

Whether Colorado should pay that is a separate question.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
As a Blues fan...not so sure the coyotes dont make a run for that 4th spot this year....so I wouldn't agree that they're not close to competing. they're a skilled, quick young group that can win games and surprise some people.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Yotes cannot trade their best forward who is only 25 and not get a centerpiece prospect back. End of story. Kaut’s playing great in the AHL and is gonna be a good support player at the next level but he doesn’t move the needle here, especially not when you make them take Compher back as well.

Don’t ask for a teams best forward and not bring a true blue chip asset with you to the negotiating table.

I wouldn’t trade Newhook for Garland personally...I just think Newhook is a stud and his development is very important to the Avs long-term ability to handle the cap in the future - but that’s the ask and it is a fair one.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Arizona is a point out of a playoff spot dude.

Don't get me wrong. They probably won't do jack shit in the playoffs like last year (if they happen to make it), but they're not gonna just sell away when they're in the thick of things.

And this deal is lopsided on top of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad