Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I still think Vancouver needs to move one of Boeser, Pearson or Garland. That blueline doesn't have a single guy capable of playing top 6 competition. Not a good place to be. As a Flames fan I know how much it sucks to have crappy ownership. Part of the blame is on Benning, but the lions share on the ownership he was taking his marching orders from.
Canucks will probably move Garland and picks in a trade for a top 4D. That is guaranteed now that OEL is bought out. We won't go into next season with Hughes and Hronek as the only Dmen in top 4, Myers doesn't count. I see a trade for a dman and maybe an FA signing of another dman to bolster the D. Myers will be traded in my mind, whether it's September or early in the season after his bonuses are paid. Preferably it should be done sooner

I'm actually surprised a team hasn't just taken him for nothing. He's a 15-20 goal, 50 point, 2nd/3rd line tweener who is fiesty and can produce in the crunch making sub $5 mil for only 3 more seasons.
Only reason teams didn't trade for him was because they were greedy and wanted assets from desperate Canucks needing cap space. Now the gig is up and teams need to trade for Garland at face value. All in can just wait it out and have some desperate team that missed on big fishes in FA to call him for Garland or even Boeser.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I agree that they still likely end up trading Boeser or Garland, but as others have said, the OEL buyout eliminates the need for them to make that move. They can sit on Garland and Boeser until they get an offer they like.

I still don't think Garland would have crazy high value because the Vancouver management doesn't seem super high on him, but he will bring back positive value now.
I agree, Garland is not a free asset that "needs" sweetners attached anymore. He might fetch a 2nd round pick. His value is definitely a positive for sure. He could also be packaged with 11th overall during the draft for a big trade involving a top 4 D.

Reactions: Izzy Goodenough

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Canucks will probably move Garland and picks in a trade for a top 4D. That is guaranteed now that OEL is bought out. We won't go into next season with Hughes and Hronek as the only Dmen in top 4, Myers doesn't count. I see a trade for a dman and maybe an FA signing of another dman to bolster the D. Myers will be traded in my mind, whether it's September or early in the season after his bonuses are paid. Preferably it should be done sooner

Only reason teams didn't trade for him was because they were greedy and wanted assets from desperate Canucks needing cap space. Now the gig is up and teams need to trade for Garland at face value. All in can just wait it out and have some desperate team that missed on big fishes in FA to call him for Garland or even Boeser.
If garland is such a valuable player, and the Nucks now have cap space with OEL buyout, it makes sense for Nucks to keep him right??

There will be no desperate team’s looking for Garland. That’s a fantasy. Nucks still need a sweetener to dump him. Flat cap is still a thing.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He won't get much.

I've made no secret I want him here, have since he was in Arizona.

I don't get why his value is so low but it is.
Because it is timing.. he really only has one good trading window.. like say mid july to training camp.. i think thats all it is

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
There was a time before the OEL buyout (B-EOL) when Garland was a "Free" asset but that was then and this is now.

Sorry to report, Garland is now a positive asset.

Change the title of the thread please Mods.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There was a time before the OEL buyout (B-EOL) when Garland was a "Free" asset but that was then and this is now.

No one would trade for Garland if it cost them assets to do so, or if they don't receive a sweetener in return.

Change the title to Garland will remain a Nuck.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm actually surprised a team hasn't just taken him for nothing. He's a 15-20 goal, 50 point, 2nd/3rd line tweener who is fiesty and can produce in the crunch making sub $5 mil for only 3 more seasons.

You can just sign Kerfoot for 3 mil and get 90% of what Garland brings.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

If it's true that he's a negative value asset that buyout doesn't change anything.

And if it's not that buyout isn't the reason why.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Absolutely not

I'd probably do POJ for Garland straight up if I could find another deal for Granlund somewhere else, but absolutely not Pettersson.
Canucks need a more defensive orientated #3C, they're not looking for a #2C that can maybe score 50 points. Unless there's a larger deal that trades Miller, but that's highly unlikely too happen.

OilCityBoomer

Apr 29, 2019
As an Oilers fan, I'd build a trade around Kulak for Garland. Vancouver does some retention on it, say a million? Gets us a top 6 RW for 1.25m added to the cap. Which I don't think we could add a top 6 cheaper than that with term (same amount of years left on contract). Makes it so Lavoie can play on the 3rd line this year to get his feet wet and also gets Broberg full time into 3LD finally.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why a player like Josh Anderson has value but Connor Garland doesn't?

Anderson is a power forward with size and skill, 4 years, 5.5 per

Garland is about a 5 million cap hit for 3 more year's, @ 4.95 per.

Power forwards are usually worth more than scuttlebutt wingers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can someone explain to me why a player like Josh Anderson has value but Connor Garland doesn't?

Would you not immediately swap Garland for Anderson at the drop of a hat? I certainly would.

Garland is the "better player" in the sense that he's more capable of producing offensive numbers and he's shown he can do it without top caliber linemates and mostly at even strength. But the reality is...small wingers who can produce are just not that rare. There are tons available as Free Agents every summer, teams all over the place looking to move them for basically nothing just to free up cap space, and just generally not difficult players to acquire.

Big, physical, power forwards who can play that sort of game with the skill to pot 20G+ are rare these days. They're a scarce commodity and that makes them valuable. There are a hundred players who are interchangeable with Garland. There are half a dozen who are interchangeable with Anderson and the attributes and role he can fill.

Reactions: doublechili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad