Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Scoop: The Canucks are in salary cap jail and they know it. The rest of their summer plans cannot be enacted until they free up salary cap space, and they’ve been actively checking prices on Garland as their preference to move to alleviate their cap concerns. Garland, who played for Rick Tocchet in Arizona, is a scrappy but undersized winger who has struggled to find a comfortable fit in the Lower Mainland. With three years left at nearly $5 million, will a team take a flier? He’s essentially a free asset, as the Canucks have found teams that are asking for assets in return to take him off their hands.

I think the "negative value" reputation Garland has is wildly undeserved, he's a much better player than a negative asset IMO. But it seems like all other teams know how much the Canucks want to move him, so the Canucks have no leverage. Where does he end up?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is because he’s short right!?!

I think it's a bit of that, but more that the Canucks are telegraphing their desire to move him so clearly that other teams feel like they can take advantage of the Canucks.

Garland is a very good player and way better than what he'll be traded for. I think his value is so bad because the Canucks destroyed his value. I'd absolutely love to take Garland on the Penguins with a minor sweetener (like a 3rd), and then use that sweetener plus a bit more to dump Granlund on someone else.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Imagine trading 9th overall for OEL and Garland and then paying to get rid of them. This is why it's become difficult to be a Canucks fan. This is the normal for us and has been for about 10 years.

Ah well, the bure years, the naz-bert years, and the sedin years were fun. The petterson-hughes years are being ruined by mismanagement.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Paying to get out of Garland's contract would be monumentally stupid, but is probably exactly what we'll do. What did us Canucks fans do to deserve being saddled with this god awful owner that refuses to stop meddling in our organization and refuses to acknowledge the reality of this team?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't hate him in Ottawa if Debrincat is in fact gone for picks.

I wouldn't pay a lot without retension, but I certainly wouldn't consider him a negative asset either.
Agreed, but there are a lot of guys who will be available this summer in the 4-6mil range. Lots of teams probably like Garland, but there is likely not a single team who has him as Plan A and maybe not even as B, C, or D.

Good player on a decent deal but lots of teams are trying to clear cap and there's not a whole lot to give

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Garland (450k retained) and Joshua for Yamamoto and Foegele

Combined cap hits are nearly the same for next year and Nucks gain cap flexibility after the season

Garland would likely shine in the Oilers' top 6

Kane - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Garland

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Bjorkstrand only returned a couple of mid round picks last summer and I would say he's a better player, though it's a pretty small difference.

It's just the reality. There's always decent but not great wingers available both in trade and in free agency every year.

This summer alone in terms of ~40-60 point wingers, you've got Bertuzzi, Kane, Barbashev, Killorn, Zucker, Dadonov, Drouin, Domi, Bunting, Compher, Nyquist, Rodrigues... Just in the UFA market.

Why pay any significant assets to get Garland and his $4.95M contract when you could sign any of these UFAs for roughly the same money.

Some team might like Garland a little more then most of those guys and would maybe pay a 4th or 5th for him. But they won't pay more then that.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I think thisbguy should stick to the east coast.. unless my memory is fading in his case he has been a little suspect with canuck stuff

The crap thats coming out the past month is unstoppable

• Haha
Reactions: Diogenes92

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think it's a bit of that, but more that the Canucks are telegraphing their desire to move him so clearly that other teams feel like they can take advantage of the Canucks.

Garland is a very good player and way better than what he'll be traded for. I think his value is so bad because the Canucks destroyed his value. I'd absolutely love to take Garland on the Penguins with a minor sweetener (like a 3rd), and then use that sweetener plus a bit more to dump Granlund on someone else.

The bought high and are trying to sell low, absolutely idiotic asset management. Dude was playing his best hockey as pretty much the sole offensive piece on an awful team, he was the biggest target available, and they took the bait. He isn’t quite as magical on an actual roster, and now they want to offload him because they have no money, because they do shit like this. They want to reload so they can shoot themselves in the foot again. Probably targeting Bunting or some such dumb shit.

I like Garland, he’s not the problem. Shame my team is relatively good on that type of player, otherwise I’d want him on the Sabres.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago seems reasonable honestly. He might be a good fit with Bedard.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He 46 pts plying middle six with inconsistent PP2. His salary is pretty average for this. He also displays consistent effort. In addition to the cap, the issue is likely not a match for the heavy North-south game that Tocchet wants to employ. He would be good with a puck possession team lacking to 6 talent. Honestly think Arizona would be a good fit.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Garland (450k retained) and Joshua for Yamamoto and Foegele

Combined cap hits are nearly the same for next year and Nucks gain cap flexibility after the season

Garland would likely shine in the Oilers' top 6

Kane - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Garland
Joshua is one of the only actually feared physical players the Canucks have. Not interested in Yamamoto or Foegele either. The point is to drop the amount of wingers we have.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I have no clue why Garland would be in discussions then. I'm certainly not advocating that he is a world beater, or even that he would return a ton, but if teams are expecting assets in return then I would FAR rather pay more to rid a worse contract. Garland is a perfectly fine player, and in a vacuum is perfectly worth his contract. If you are hell bent in clearing cap do it other ways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad