Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Paying to get out of Garland's contract would be monumentally stupid, but is probably exactly what we'll do. What did us Canucks fans do to deserve being saddled with this god awful owner that refuses to stop meddling in our organization and refuses to acknowledge the reality of this team?
I feel like with that username you should be old enough to remember that SCF.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not at all. Didn't think Canuck ownership would want to swallow the OEL Buyout pill but apparently they are willing to light about 30 million on fire to get rid of him. Garland's buyout was 1/3 the cost of buying out OEL
Why would they buyout Garland?? That doesn't make sense at all since he was out top 6 forward all season and has positive value if we want to trade him. That would be really stupid to buyout Garland because we would lose a good player while not saving much since his cap hit is only 4.95 mil.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If garland is such a valuable player, and the Nucks now have cap space with OEL buyout, it makes sense for Nucks to keep him right??

There will be no desperate team’s looking for Garland. That’s a fantasy. Nucks still need a sweetener to dump him. Flat cap is still a thing.
No they don't to trade him, what won't you understand. Wait til FA begins then I will tell you why Garland at 4.95 mil is good value. Canucks will probably keep him now but he is the only one that wouldn't need a sweetner if we wanted to create cap room and we have lots of wingers. That is why he would be traded, not because he sucks. Just because you trade players, it doesn't mean you are trading them because they sucked. There can be other reasons and we have long jam at the wing with Hoglander and Podkolzin having ELC contracts.

Garland for Ceci and Yamamoto.
Opens up some flexibility for the Oilers to upgrade RD
That's a complete garbage return for Canucks that won't make cap space for them. I rather keep Garland then trade him for 2 non factors. Not sure what you guys watch when you watch Garland play since he is ten times better than Yams. I would trade Myers to Oilers for Ceci

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Title should read "teams want 11OA to take him.

They won't get it but that's the asset they want.

That or Hoglander
Yeah I rather keep Garland who I like better than Bunting lol. The people here can't scout a player worth a damn.

No one would trade for Garland if it cost them assets to do so, or if they don't receive a sweetener in return.

Change the title to Garland will remain a Nuck.
Yet those teams will probably overpay FA players worst than Garland. Garland at 4.95 per is fair and gets 60 points 5 on 5 without any PP time. You find me a player in free agency willing to sign below 5 mil

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If it's true that he's a negative value asset that buyout doesn't change anything.

And if it's not that buyout isn't the reason why.
The buyout does change everything which is what you don't get when it comes to negotiations. If a team is desperate and over the cap, would you have leverage or the team that is desperate? Only a moron GM would bail out a cap strapped team like Benning when he traded a 1st and other picks for Miller to bail out Tampa.

Reactions: Ita

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Yet those teams will probably overpay FA players worst than Garland. Garland at 4.95 per is fair and gets 60 points 5 on 5 without any PP time. You find me a player in free agency willing to sign below 5 mil
His career high is 52 points, and 49 5v5 points. This season he had 34 5v5 points and 12 on the PP, 60 5v5 points is quite the stretch.

Reactions: Barnaby

razor ray

May 8, 2011
During the trade, I told the Vancouver fans that OEL was a defensive liability and his game was in a decline….for that my head was ripped off on this board by several Vancouver fans. Fast forward to today as I listened to an entire segment on NHL XM radio about how OEL has been nothing but a defensive liability in Vancouver and “sucks since he got there” was the exact verbiage.

I told Vancouver fans Schmidt was traded for a 3rd and is worth nothing more than a 3rd and my head was ripped off for “idiot posts” and “why does this board allow post like this” if you want to see my history. Schmidt was traded by Vancouver to the Peg for a 3rd.

Just remove all emotion since he is one of your players and look at it how the rest of the hockey world looks at it. If Garland was worth as much as a few Vancouver fans say he is a GM would of grabbed him, before OEL was bought out, for free or a late pick. Nothing materialized. I personally think Garland is worth more but you have to look at it as a GM if your job depended on it and the value for him is not there. Perhaps it changes but this seems like the reality.

Reactions: LeafChief and DS7

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would give Garland a chance if we had the cap space, but we can't really add much for cap at all, let alone a 5M tag. I suppose something with Yamamoto going to the Canucks could help with the cap issue, but I can't see it being a 1 for 1 deal, especially with OEL off the books now, and I wouldn't give much else on top to get him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
During the trade, I told the Vancouver fans that OEL was a defensive liability and his game was in a decline….for that my head was ripped off on this board by several Vancouver fans. Fast forward to today as I listened to an entire segment on NHL XM radio about how OEL has been nothing but a defensive liability in Vancouver and “sucks since he got there” was the exact verbiage.

I told Vancouver fans Schmidt was traded for a 3rd and is worth nothing more than a 3rd and my head was ripped off for “idiot posts” and “why does this board allow post like this” if you want to see my history. Schmidt was traded by Vancouver to the Peg for a 3rd.

Just remove all emotion since he is one of your players and look at it how the rest of the hockey world looks at it. If Garland was worth as much as a few Vancouver fans say he is a GM would of grabbed him, before OEL was bought out, for free or a late pick. Nothing materialized. I personally think Garland is worth more but you have to look at it as a GM if your job depended on it and the value for him is not there. Perhaps it changes but this seems like the reality.
I agree. If the guy was available for "free" then you have to understand that if anybody wanted him, then a dealnwould have been done. So, teams fall into one of two categories - 1) teams that don't want Conner Garland, or 2) teams that can't afford him.

No they don't to trade him, what won't you understand. Wait til FA begins then I will tell you why Garland at 4.95 mil is good value. Canucks will probably keep him now but he is the only one that wouldn't need a sweetner if we wanted to create cap room and we have lots of wingers. That is why he would be traded, not because he sucks. Just because you trade players, it doesn't mean you are trading them because they sucked. There can be other reasons and we have long jam at the wing with Hoglander and Podkolzin having ELC contracts.

That's a complete garbage return for Canucks that won't make cap space for them. I rather keep Garland then trade him for 2 non factors. Not sure what you guys watch when you watch Garland play since he is ten times better than Yams. I would trade Myers to Oilers for Ceci
Ceci probably has more value than Garland seems to. 3.25M for a 2nd pair right shot defenseman is a bargain right now considering the lack of options on the free agent market this year.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't think the contract is that bad. FA is full of bad contracts. You could take this one for free or grab another one out of FA. After the big names drop, maybe the focus shifts to Garland.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
During the trade, I told the Vancouver fans that OEL was a defensive liability and his game was in a decline….for that my head was ripped off on this board by several Vancouver fans.

The reaction on HFCanucks was overwhelming negativity and most of us correctly identified this as a potentially franchise crippling move. The folks who were backing it typically thought Jim Benning was doing a great job and kept doubling and tripling down on that viewpoint. They also liked to watch 10 hour long Youtube videos of keys jangling.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Garland is a fit somewhere but I think the Canucks are better off playing him and finding his game and then moving him than giving him away since they will have a lot of cap space next year.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I don't understand any of this. I'm beyond convinced that the reason this leaked at all is because the Canucks we're exploring every option under the sun to lose cap, and that they figured Garland could maybe be scuttled for cheap and that would solve the problem. Turns out teams like to weaponize cap space (well good teams) and looked at the full context of why the Canucks were shopping Garland at all and attempted to low ball. At that point the Canucks went "hey well that's clearly not in line with the value, do we'll go another route".

If there is a singular teams fanbase over the past decade who knows a bad contract, it's Vancouver, and trust me when I tell you that Garland is not a contract problem. He might not give excess value, but I just don't think there's anyway you can say truthfully that he's not worth his cap hit over the course of a season.

Reactions: Johnsie19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad