Proposal: Garland for Larsson

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
My best guess is that Hoglander would get promoted from the 4th line to replace Pearson
(so, Hoglander-Horvat-Garland), while Linus Karlsson or William Lockwood would get promoted to the 4th line (so, Karlsson-Lazar-Jackson, or Lockwood-Lazar-Jackson).
I personally want Hoglander gone, but Linus Karlsson or Lockwood is welcome. They were pretty good in the minors, and now they get to see the daylight called the NHL.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I personally want Hoglander gone, but Linus Karlsson or Lockwood is welcome. They were pretty good in the minors, and now they get to see the daylight called the NHL.
Why do you want Hoglander gone? He had a sophomore slump last year but the talent and the grit is definitely there, even if he is a bit undersized. Agreed with you about Karlsson and Lockwood. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Rathbone can bring to us on the 3rd pairing.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Why do you want Hoglander gone? He had a sophomore slump last year but the talent and the grit is definitely there, even if he is a bit undersized. Agreed with you about Karlsson and Lockwood. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Rathbone can bring to us on the 3rd pairing.
I just wish we have a player who can produce more points than he does. Like 30-40 points. Hoglander produces around 10-20.

Perhaps, his production can go up with Kuzmenko being in the same line as him.

Reactions: Ruthervin

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
That's unfortunate. However, we should use next year's free agency to get a decent shutdown or scoring RD.

With all due respect, this comment has always been a pet peeve of mine (when made by anybody). If it was that easy, why do we have none that we like now and why is almost the whole league looking for that player. Useful players of this type that can build a successful top 4 are rarely available. And they almost always cost huge dollars as UFA (if available at all) or way too much acquisition cost (if a team would even consider moving them).

And then, I would love to see that player want to come to Vancouver, but it hasn't happened very often in my lifetime- and I am almost a senior now:)

Reactions: biturbo19

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I just wish we have a player who can produce more points than he does. Like 30-40 points. Hoglander produces around 10-20.

Perhaps, his production can go up with Kuzmenko being in the same line as him.
Hoglander so far has scored 45 points in 116 games in his NHL career. That prorates to a 32 points per 82 game track record.

The issue isnt that he isnt a 30-40 point player because clearly he is. The issue is his consistency and getting him in more than 60 games due to his defensive play

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Just waiting around until 2 of Muzzin, Holl, and Kerfoot somehow become a part of a
Seattle and Vancouver trade thread .. wait for it …wait for it .. Happy Labor Day weekend . Union Yes !

• Haha
Reactions: Canuck86

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Just waiting around until 2 of Muzzin, Holl, and Kerfoot somehow become a part of a
Seattle and Vancouver trade thread .. wait for it …wait for it .. Happy Labor Day weekend . Union Yes !
Give it until late October after the Leafs lose 2 games.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Give it until late October after the Leafs lose 2 games.
Hey, happy you dodged the JT Miller bullet? Or now that he’s signed to that deal is it more/less/same attractive for your Isles designs? Interesting thing people haven’t talked much about (amidst all the Miller talk) is that his no trade doesn’t kick in till next summer, so technically he’s movable all year…

Personally id like to see something smaller for Mayfield …he’s what the Canucks need now….cheers

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Hey, happy you dodged the JT Miller bullet? Or now that he’s signed to that deal is it more/less/same attractive for your Isles designs? Interesting thing people haven’t talked much about (amidst all the Miller talk) is that his no trade doesn’t kick in till next summer, so technically he’s movable all year…

Personally id like to see something smaller for Mayfield …he’s what the Canucks need now….cheers
Now the trade is more realistic and Mayfield could be an option but I can’t see Vancouver trading for Mayfield without an extension for obvious reasons. As for Jimothy Timothy’s contract, it’s a fair deal for someone like him. Hopefully he doesn’t digress to his pre-Vancouver production.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Matt Dumba is a UFA next summer. My guess is that Alvin will try and move Pearson, Myers, and Dickinson next Summer (they'll all have one year remaining after next July 1st) and go hard after Dumba. Given this new Miller contract, I think Alvin/Rutherford are going to be very aggressive these next two seasons. Even as early as these next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks acquire an RHD.

Hate the idea that they'd go big after Dumba as a UFA. That'd basically be making the Myers mistake all over again. Resetting the clock that you have to run out on a bad UFA deal. Paying a premium for probably the perceived "top available" RHD on the UFA market. But not the right type of RHD at all to fill team needs. Dumba isn't a guy who makes a lot of sense with Hughes to me. And with one year left at that point, i'd honestly rather just roll with Myers beside OEL for another year and wash our hands of the whole thing. Rather than sign Dumba to extend the problem for 5 more years.

I'd rather see them make a much smaller splash on someone like Mayfield to be an upgrade at a much lower pricetag. Or if they're going big, all-in on trying to poach someone like Zub, or even Orlov if you can keep the term in check with his age. That's the sort of player they need though. Or Severson/Weegar if their respective clubs can't come to terms.

Heck, i'd even rather take a punt on someone like Holl for short+cheap over a big commitment to Dumba. It's just a total re-run of the Myers scenario where, if Dumba is the "best you can do", you're better off overall just doing something minimal while you work on some other sort of solution.

It's where realistically, fishing for a RHD in the UFA pond tends to be prohibitively expensive for what you ultimately get. It makes sense to explore some trade options if one presents itself. Easier to find decent winger buys in free agency (or less costly trades when a team needs cap relief).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hoglander so far has scored 45 points in 116 games in his NHL career. That prorates to a 32 points per 82 game track record.

The issue isnt that he isnt a 30-40 point player because clearly he is. The issue is his consistency and getting him in more than 60 games due to his defensive play

Further to that, Hoglander has managed to produce almost all of those points at even strength, without a lot of big minutes. He's got work to do rounding out his game, but he's pretty clearly got at the very least, pretty solid middle-6 offensive chops when given the opportunity, if not legitimate Top-6 skill (at 5v5 at least).

Both years that Hoglander has been in the league, he's produced 5v5 Pts at a comparable or better rate to Boeser. In 2020-21, before his "sophomore slump", Hoglander was a Top-100 Forward in the NHL when it comes to Even Strength P/60. Remains to be seen whether he ever becomes a good Powerplay Forward to really "pad out" those stats, but he's got the same sort of offensive profile as someone like Jannik Hansen who brings most of those points "the hard way", and that's very useful imo.

Compared to a guy like Lockwood who may have only played 15 games...but he's somehow managed to do it without scoring a single solitary point. That's a career PPG rate of 0.00. Or 0 Points per 82 Games.

I love Lockwoods hustle and tenacity, and i think he's still got plenty of promise as a cheap 4th line energy guy who eventually chips in a few points here and there. But Hoglander's offensive upside is pretty clearly on an entirely different level. If that is what we're worrying about here.

Don't understand why some Canucks fans are in such a hurry to move on from Hoglander after one sophomore slump year where he didn't take the step people hoped for.

Reactions: Canuck86

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1