Proposal: Garland for Larsson

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Easy yes for VAN. Fill a need with a quality 2nd pairing RD and save $950K in the process, and one year of term.

Don't see why SEA would do it unless VAN adds.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Who says no?

Salary close, bit under a mil going to Sea, Garland younger … not sure if Seattle too thin at RD if they do this tho
This would be a massive hit to Seattle’s RD in which they don’t have any viable replacements at RD.

The Kraken are set at the forward positions but could use some depth on defense but this trade serves the opposite purpose for Seattle’s positional needs.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Easy no for Kraken, don’t need wingers. If anything, Rathbone would be a better target.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Who says no?

Salary close, bit under a mil going to Sea, Garland younger … not sure if Seattle too thin at RD if they do this tho
Seattle would say no. RHD's are a premium asset, and Seattle is also projected to be a team on the rise. I wouldn't mind the deal from a Canucks perspective, but I can't see why Seattle would agree to this. This move wouldn't address Seattle's needs at all.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Seattle would say no. RHD's are a premium asset, and Seattle is also projected to be a team on the rise. I wouldn't mind the deal from a Canucks perspective, but I can't see why Seattle would agree to this. This move wouldn't address Seattle's needs at all.
Perhaps give Tyler Myers in return for Larsson as well?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think they both say no. Larsson doesn't fit the age range or cap hit of a player the Canucks are looking to acquire.

If they are moving Garland, they are more likely moving him for a younger cost controlled player with upside.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Perhaps give Tyler Myers in return for Larsson as well?
Possible but Seattle would have to send cap our way since Garland and Myers combined is almost 11 million.

Larsson (4 million) is both cheaper and better than Myers (6 million) and so we'd probably have to accept a forward from Seattle that was both worse and more expensive than Garland (Schwartz is the only that I can think of that might fit that description but I highly doubt it). Seattle probably wouldn't take on Myers however (which is why they passed on him during the expansion draft). If you look at Seattle's cap configuration, they are VERY cap conscious in terms of how much they spend on a player. Their most expensive player is $5.5 million! Seattle are clearly trying to build a team full of 4 solid lines and 3 solid defensive pairings. I can't see them taking on Myers at all.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Possible but Seattle would have to send cap our way since Garland and Myers combined is almost 11 million.

Larsson (4 million) is both cheaper and better than Myers (6 million) and so we'd probably have to accept a forward from Seattle that was both worse and more expensive than Garland (Schwartz is the only that I can think of that might fit that description but I highly doubt it). Seattle probably wouldn't take on Myers however (which is why they passed on him during the expansion draft). If you look at Seattle's cap configuration, they are VERY cap conscious in terms of how much they spend on a player. Their most expensive player is $5.5 million! Seattle are clearly trying to build a team full of 4 solid lines and 3 solid defensive pairings. I can't see them taking on Myers at all.
That's unfortunate. However, we should use next year's free agency to get a decent shutdown or scoring RD.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
That's unfortunate. However, we should use next year's free agency to get a decent shutdown or scoring RD.
I think Matt Dumba is a UFA next summer. My guess is that Alvin will try and move Pearson, Myers, and Dickinson next Summer (they'll all have one year remaining after next July 1st) and go hard after Dumba. Given this new Miller contract, I think Alvin/Rutherford are going to be very aggressive these next two seasons. Even as early as these next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks acquire an RHD.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I think Matt Dumba is a UFA next summer. My guess is that Alvin will try and move Pearson, Myers, and Dickinson next Summer (they'll all have one year remaining after next July 1st) and go hard after Dumba. Given this new Miller contract, I think Alvin/Rutherford are going to be very aggressive these next two seasons. Even as early as these next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks acquire an RHD.
The problem is who will replace Pearson and Dickinson in the bottom lines. Probably two players from the minors?

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
The problem is who will replace Pearson and Dickinson in the bottom lines. Probably two players from the minors?
My best guess is that Hoglander would get promoted from the 4th line to replace Pearson
(so, Hoglander-Horvat-Garland), while Linus Karlsson or William Lockwood would get promoted to the 4th line (so, Karlsson-Lazar-Jackson, or Lockwood-Lazar-Jackson).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: