Gardiner's time as a Leaf coming to an end?

RythmicOne

Feb 26, 2012
Gardiner
-At times fails the eye test
-At time astounds the eye test
-His underlying number are nothing less than insanely positive

Zaitsev
-At times fails the test
-At times is invisible which is that a 'good defenseman' does according to eye tester's folklore
-His underlying numbers are exceptionally bad

Leafs Nation conclusion from these facts... Trade Gardiner, Zaitsev is solid

I'll also add that Rielly looks like a 1D this season with Hainsey because he's not being weighed down by the anchor that it Zaitsev, Zaitsev is destroying Jake this season those which is no small feat given Jake has improved the numbers of pretty much everyone he's ever been paired with.

Can we put on our critical thinking hats Leaf Nation? Or may we reasonably point out our actual weak points because if we don't smarten up, the league will catch on and we'll have a billion how to dump Zaitsev trade proposals.

Crazy. Gards numbers are NOT stable and only showed flashes of brilliance. He stinks this year and will not hit, makes bone head decisions and in inconsistent as hell.

Reactions: kanomi

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Gardiner isn't a pending UFA, so it's less of a priority to deal him soon. Gardiner could still be traded, but we'd need to have one of our young defenders take a good step forward and/or a solid trade offer. Don't really see us signing him to his next contract.

Reactions: RythmicOne

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The only thing to be said about Gardiner, the media need to stop saying he can still improve. Gards isn't a kid, he's in his prime, he is what he is, accept it or don't, but it isn't going to change much. Personally, warts and all, I'd keep him but.....
Agreed. He's one of those players who always gets talked about for potential and before you know it, they're 30. Jake is like that, they'll always talk about how much more he can bring. He is what he is, a solid top 4 but a replaceable one.

Reactions: DarkKnight

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Poor Zaitsev being blamed for Jake's struggles.
Zaitsev has looked better than Jake this season. Zaitsev has struggled at times but maybe thats because Jake is bringing him down?

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Crazy. Gards numbers are NOT stable and only showed flashes of brilliance. He stinks this year and will not hit, makes bone head decisions and in inconsistent as hell.
His advanced stats, shot supression, possession are literally elite.. Crazy no.... reality, objective reality

Not that facts matter to people repeating stuff they've heard on sports radio.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
He's a really good offensive producing defenceman, unfortunately he, and the rest of the team, are mentally sidelined at the moment.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
No point trying to fix the defense without first addressing the goaltending situation or the coaching situation.

This team is in desperate need of a starting goaltender and a different head coach.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Yes, trade AWAY young d-men, finally a trade proposition that is doable and makes a LOT of sense.

Maybe we can get a backup goalie for him.

Maybe.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
If we lose Gardiner for nothing we will die. If he’s not in the future plans we need to flip him with other assets for someone else to help on D.

He might make a lot of mistakes and obviously that’s not great, but to deny his abilities would be foolish. He’s a very good top 4 dman, something we sorely lack.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I've honestly never been a fan of Gardiner's. I warmed up considerably to him last year and I thought he finally took that next step. But this year he's taken 2 steps backwards.

I don' see him going anywhere this year unless it's for a defensive Dman upgrade (Hjalmarsson type). He may be moved in the off season or by the next deadline, depending on how Dermott and/or Rosen are progressing.

I don' think we can or should extend him. He's going to be looking for probably close to 6 mil per and I don' think he's worth anywhere near that.

We could have

Rielly Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Borgman Liljegren
Rosen

Or different combos

Doesn't look too bad to me going forward. Hainsey will of course need to be replaced eventually.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When Jake gets hot he can separate himself from Borgman in an instant.

Key word is WHEN, WHEN he gets hot he's very very good, WHEN he plays like he has been for the last couple of weeks he is VERY VERY bad.

Coaches and fans want consistency, he is the very definition of an inconsistent player.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Rielly _____
Borgman Zaitsev
Dermott Liljegren
Hainsey Carrick

Leafs could have a solid d-core next year if Gardiner is traded for a similar RD who is bigger but maybe a little less skilled.

If Rielly is in your top 2 you wont have a good d. He's found his niche in the 2nd pairing, why move him to something he cant do?

Borgman is no where near ready to be in the 2nd pairing.

Hainsey is not a press box quality D man , he is a legit 3/4 guy.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
He agitates me. He isn't the brightest star in the sky and he always has this clueless look on his face. So that is a good enough reason to trade him :sarcasm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Key word is WHEN, WHEN he gets hot he's very very good, WHEN he plays like he has been for the last couple of weeks he is VERY VERY bad.

Coaches and fans want consistency, he is the very definition of an inconsistent player.

Slow starter actually. He starts terrible with perfect consistency and has great year ends as well in the same manner.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He agitates me. He isn't the brightest star in the sky and he always has this clueless look on his face. So that is a good enough reason to trade him :sarcasm:

I've always had a chuckle at this gif, it's like he is surprised there is tape on both sides of the blade. In the end until he's traded or leaves through UFA, he's ours and its up to us as "fans" of the Leafs to support him. We can leave the negative energy to the fans of other teams, I'm sure there are enough haters out there that are not Leaf fans that we don't need to help them ;)

tumblr_mzgykhzSXa1sna8pso1_500.gif

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The Leafs will simplify their game and focus on team defence and start winning close games. That's their future. They will make the playoffs but contrary to the popular opinion this is not a cup contender yet. They need to scrape and claw for wins. I would love see them give the league a taste of their own medicine and play the trap again for awhile to remind the players that the neutral zone is their biggest challenge.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
His advanced stats, shot supression, possession are literally elite.. Crazy no.... reality, objective reality

Not that facts matter to people repeating stuff they've heard on sports radio.

Someone gets why he gets 20m 5v5 usage and Rielly 13m. He is still playing sloppy to start as normal.

At 5m a year you sign Jake and hope he turns Burns at 30 I would say.

Reactions: LondonKendrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad