Gardiner's time as a Leaf coming to an end?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I don't like gardiner, trust me when I say that but Toronto losing games isn't just on him. For as many bonehead plays he makes he is still a good defenceman. He just needs a more defensive team so he can play his style more. The only way I trade him is for a reliable stay at home DMAN. But the offence needs to help the back end.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Agreed with the comment that we probably need someone better than Jake to fill the role he currently has, but I don't see that option presenting itself this year.

Also, we all know he will do his magical mid-season transformation again at some point. The other night, I was thinking, "Has there every been one single time where Jake has had the puck on his stick and decided he DIDN'T need to do a cute little move with it before moving it?" I've yet to notice.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Anyone who plays with Zaitsev sees their possesion drop like a rock and yet we blame his partner. Last year it was Rielly, this year it’s Gardiner.

Wake up and find the common denominator. Zaitsev is the bigger problem, not Gardiner.

Gardiner is playing like trash right now but I’d like to see him far away from Zaitsev before we jettison another defenseman who will be great on another team instead of ours.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't like gardiner, trust me when I say that but Toronto losing games isn't just on him. For as many bonehead plays he makes he is still a good defenceman. He just needs a more defensive team so he can play his style more. The only way I trade him is for a reliable stay at home DMAN. But the offence needs to help the back end.

Oddly he is the reliable D man. He just comes with an abnormal number of gaffes. He mostly plays 5v5 and is even where last year he was the sheltered guy. Morgan is getting special usage and is still going negative at 5v5 where if he followed Jakes path last year he would be a +5 by now or better. By mid season Jake was +30 and he assumed the 1D role from Morgan. The team started winning thereafter.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone who plays with Zaitsev sees their possesion drop like a rock and yet we blame his partner. Last year it was Rielly, this year it’s Gardiner.

Wake up and find the common denominator. Zaitsev is the bigger problem, not Gardiner.

Gardiner is playing like trash right now but I’d like to see him far away from Zaitsev before we jettison another defenseman who will be great on another team instead of ours.

My D pairs...

Jake Carrick
Mo Hainsey
Borgman Zaitsev

Not sure why they don't try this. Its not like Jake didn't ride a +30 streak into mid season last with Carrick.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
No point trying to fix the defense without first addressing the goaltending situation or the coaching situation.

This team is in desperate need of a starting goaltender and a different head coach.

This guy gets it. Knee jerk reactions win championships! :sarcasm:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Rangers decide to reset how about a blockbuster around Gardiner and Marner and McDonagh and T.J Miller ?? Too much, too little??

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Rangers decide to reset how about a blockbuster around Gardiner and Marner and McDonagh and T.J Miller ?? Too much, too little??
I don't think these 2 Ranger players would be included in the same deal unless it involved a stud No. 1 C coming back.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think these 2 Ranger players would be included in the same deal unless it involved a stud No. 1 C coming back.

They have Zibanajad as their #1C. Marner would give them some hope and appease their fan base should they falter. Gards could exite their fans as well.

I wouldn't mind sweetening the deal a little as it could fill a big hole in the backend.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Zaitsev is the problem. Rielly looks much better now with Hainsey and its no coincidence. Zaitsev handles the puck like a live grenade and his passes are awful.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Gardiner isn't going anywhere this season. Who's going to fill his role? Carrick or Borgman? Even if we traded for another Dman who can help now that team is almost certainly looking for youngsters or forward help. Not a Dman like Gardiner with one-year on his deal in return.

I definitely think JVR should be dealt. We've got lots of wingers to backfill his minutes and we could acquire some futures to put towards upgrading the D either this season or in the off-season.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs are in no position to trade a top 4 defender, even if it is for an upgrade.

Gardiner hasn't looked too good but the entire team has looked like trash the past few games. The amount of times the opponents seem to get odd man rushes is insane and in general the 3rd pairing was getting burned pretty bad.

People trying to put Dermott or Borgman into the top 4 this year in place of Gardiner are insane.... Rielly and Hainsey would have to take the hard matchups on 5 on 5 which they haven't really being doing and so you would have two pairings in over their head.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The thing with Gards is that when he is good he is very good but when he is bad he is very bad there is no middle ground for the guy

If Gards is very good for more than 60% of the games then it's a win for us; if not then pitchforks are gonna be out before one can say "riot"

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Zaitsev is the problem. Rielly looks much better now with Hainsey and its no coincidence. Zaitsev handles the puck like a live grenade and his passes are awful.

This guy was just signed longterm if he continues his trend of stretch passes to no one; it's gonna be a long season.

I have faith that Z will turn it around

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Gardiner isn't going anywhere IMO
He'll be better.
Unless he's part of a package deal, we'd be looking for a replacement for him. As we know, it ain't easy to get a decent d-man

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Until you have better player to take his (Gardiner in this case), there no sense in trading him. That being said, due to cap reasons and maybe growth of other players, I don't see continue being a Leaf any longer than June 2019.
Reilly and hopefully Dermot and Borgman are LHD in the future. Zaitsev and hopefully Liljegren RHD.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Knowing that Gardiner's good for a few games of undisciplined play every season, I never forget on the other side of that coin is Boston Gardiner, you know, the player who looked better than any player on either side in a playoff round that eventually saw Boston win the Cup.

His talent is game breaking and series defining when channelled properly.

I don't blame Babcock, Marner, JVR, Gardiner or Kessel, Phaneuf or Burke. This is just run of the mill Gardiner. For whatever reason, he goes through slumps that glare a little more than say, JVR phoning in defensive assignments does.

Mats Sundin used to go for droughts. His head was also called for by the gallery. I'm not comparing Sundin to Gardiner in terms of talent and importance, but in both instances, the gallery was mistaken.

We were never as good as our hot start led some to believe. But we need to believe in the process and expect more valleys. Can we at least remember this needlessly reflexive tendency if and when Matthews demonstrates his human side?

Patience, people. Gardiner's going to be just fine.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
What in sweet Buddha's name are you talking about Gardener is going to be just fine??? Been hearing that bollocks since 2012.

How many times did this clown fall down today? At least 3 times. He literally passes the puck to the opposition when attempting to clear and watches the puck.

Pay me to watch the puck ill do a damn good job.

He needs to go. Enough is enough.

Reactions: kanomi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad