Gardiner-Pesce vs. Krug-Carlo as a Middle Pairing Next Season

Better middle pairing for next season?

• Total voters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Don't consider contracts for this, just consider effectiveness for next season.

Two similar pairings for offensive/defensive dynamics that will most likely be getting middle pairing minutes next season. You can also consider Pesce/Carlo's PK play and Krug/Gardiner's PP play.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
tenor (2).gif

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gardiner-Pesce pretty easily. I'd say Gardiner is basically equal to Krug but I think Gardiner is a bit better and Pesce is way better than Carlo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As a Canes fan I'd say its even. I think the Gardiner contract was good, but Krug is a much better player than Gardiner.

I'd take Pesce over Carlo, but less gap than Krug over Gardiner.

Really? I feel Krug and Gardiner are pretty similar while Pesce and Carlo are similar defensively but Pesce brings much more offensively

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Really? I feel Krug and Gardiner are pretty similar while Pesce and Carlo are similar defensively but Pesce brings much more offensively
Eh, Carlo is bigger and younger than Pesce which adds value. Pesce is good for about for about 10 more points, which is why I think he is the better player, but I don't think the value gap is massive. But I'd very easily take Krug over Gardiner (even though I am excited by the Gardiner signing at that price)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Krug and Gardiner are close, but pesce blows Carlo out of the water
I think both Canes defenders lean more towards being more well rounded but the Bruins pair are both excellent at one specific side of the puck, whether it's offense or defense. Krug's offensive advantage is more than an of the others' offensive or defensive advantage IMO (ie. Krug vs. Gardiner for offense or Pesce vs. Carlo for defense).

Pesce is the best overall D-man though.

Reactions: wintersej

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No toronto shouldn't have been included in this.
Because Muzzin wasnt on Carlo's and Pesce's level defensively at all last season.

Reactions: snipes

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Krug had as much points in 64 games as Gardiner and Pesce combined last season in 135. His 18 points in 24 playoff games is exactly as much as Gardiner and Pesce have in their careers in a combined 41 games.

Brandon Carlo has already established himself as one of the top shutdown and penalty killing dmen in the league by the age of 22. He’s many years away from his prime and is still a good #3 right now right now.

Brett Pesce is a very good dman but Gardiner is the new Dennis Wideman. There’s a reason that, in a league where you can never have enough defensive depth, a defensemen , one season removed from a 52 point year ,would get the contract he just got. He’s a bonehead, soft, and plays brutal in big situations.

This is the Bruins duo, Pesce keeps it from being AINEC.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Canes D-Core Looking Pretty Crazy

Slavin - - Hamilton
Gardiner - - - Pesce
TVR/Fleury - Faulk

Muzzin - Barrie is a better second pairing than either of these options though

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Krug had as much points in 64 games as Gardiner and Pesce combined last season in 135. His 18 points in 24 playoff games is exactly as much as Gardiner and Pesce have in their careers in a combined 41 games.

Brandon Carlo has already established himself as one of the top shutdown and penalty killing dmen in the league by the age of 22. He’s many years away from his prime and is still a good #3 right now right now.

Brett Pesce is a very good dman but Gardiner is the new Dennis Wideman. There’s a reason that, in a league where you can never have enough defensive depth, a defensemen , one season removed from a 52 point year ,would get the contract he just got. He’s a bonehead, soft, and plays brutal in big situations.

This is the Bruins duo, Pesce keeps it from being AINEC.

Yeah, it’s because he was coming off back injuries, misplayed his hand, and wanted term. Vastly inferior players got far more money.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad