GDT: Garden State Satans (1-0-0) vs. Sunshine State Kittycats - "Winning Streak"-Edition

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with Brunner is he has a little bit of Tedenby disease.

Easily knocked off the puck and not very good aweness.

A bit of a rich man's Tedenby cause Brunner can actually score the occasional goal, but not an off-base comp.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Agreed, but I don't know who you put in there for him. Unless you have Brunner play his off wing or move Havlat to the left side and have Brunner on the right.

Or Elias-Havlat-Zubrus becomes the third line with Henrique-Clowe-Ryder as the second line. If anything both are probably 2A lines.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Zubrus is more valuable than Brunner. Brunner makes a fancy play every once in awhile but he's useless 90% of the time. I wouldn't like to see a line of Brunner Havlat and Elias. No disrespect to those players but that would be the softest line in the league. I'd rather Zubrus in there banging around.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Zubrus looked to have a bit more in the tank tonight. I just can't figure out if it's because he's getting into the swing of things or if it's because they played Florida. He was good though.

Freaking Cangi was a scourge upon anything he spoke highly of. Anyone else notice that every single time he said something good about anything for either team, that team/player immediately made some horrible play? It was amazing how often it happened.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I haven't been too thrilled with Clowe to be honest. I know he scored but he is constantly behind the play.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Or Elias-Havlat-Zubrus becomes the third line with Henrique-Clowe-Ryder as the second line. If anything both are probably 2A lines.

In the Flyers game those two lines basically got the same ice time. This one was a little weird because of all the penalties, and I think we were pretty clearly protecting Clowe and Havlat once we got the big lead.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can Severson keep this up? All rookies tend to hit a wall around 40/50 games but this kid just looks silky smooth.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I love Cammalleri so far, he brings this unscripted element to any line.

Cammalleri looks like he is supposed to be a NJ Devil....when I was watching him tonight I felt like he has always been here. Kind of weird.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Just watched the game on DVR. Great game all around save a few dumb penalties (Tootoo's first penalty was a bs call).

So how much Salvador hate was there tonight given I saw zero blame to throw his way and he actually settled Thornton down for the team's sake to end the 2nd? I'm sure someone tried to blame him for Andy's soft play on the only goal though...

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cammalleri looks like he is supposed to be a NJ Devil....when I was watching him tonight I felt like he has always been here. Kind of weird.

He reminds me of a poor mans Parise. It's like we just got an older, less intense version of Zach.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He added a goal tonight, too (he must've got a piece of Zidlicky's shot).

The thing about the team that I like the most is that we clearly have changed our offensive style a bit to take advantage of the points. Now that we have all these defensemen who can move and shoot the puck, deflection goals from point shots are an incredibly potent weapon, and we're ruthlessly using it at every opportunity.

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
NHLDevilsPR: Eric Gelinas' first-period goal has been changed to Tuomo Ruutu's first of the year. Gelinas finishes the night with two assists.

Camille the Eel

Can Severson keep this up? All rookies tend to hit a wall around 40/50 games but this kid just looks silky smooth.

How good is this kid. You have to love his positioning, and the instant sound decisions he makes with the puck. He skates very fluidly, and handles the puck the same way.

Yes he can keep it up, because what makes him special are those fundamental things that don't change. You've got it, or you don't. He's got it.

Frankly - heresy, here - but I think Nick Lidstrom watching him. Because of the perfect positioning, and the decisions with the puck. He's just where he needs to be within the play; and does the right thing with the puck instantly. What he does with the puck is what you don't have the time to think of; you only know what it was because he does it.

Then there is the effortlessness. That gifted athlete's thing of making everything look simple and easy. That too was Lidstrom.

Do I sound impressed with Severson? You bet. I hadn't seen him really at all before these two games. Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad