Garbutt gets call from NHL Safety for knee on Hall [UPD: 2 game suspension]

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I am glad the NHL is looking at it as it was total garbage on the 2. How many games given his previous record.

0. There wasn't an injury and apparently it's already been reported that he isn't getting a suspension.

Frankly it's a joke as it was just as if not more targetted than Hall's knee on Clutterbuck last year. But Clutterbuck was injured and made sure to whine about it so the league suspended him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That knee deserves 2-3 games IMO. Hopefully whenever we play them again Gazdic knocks Garbutt out cold legally with a crushing right hand.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm starting to think it's time to dump the enforcer and employ a bunch of cheapshot artists that never back it up. It's worked wonders on us for years, so why not?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
0. There wasn't an injury and apparently it's already been reported that he isn't getting a suspension.

Frankly it's a joke as it was just as if not more targetted than Hall's knee on Clutterbuck last year. But Clutterbuck was injured and made sure to whine about it so the league suspended him.

I'm not sure when the NHL is going to enter the new millennium and not look at actions from the standpoint of resultant injury. That's garbage. What Garbutt did there would cause very serious injury the majority of times somebody tries to take a knee out like that. It was a thoroughly disgusting play.

Only reason Taylor Hall is even walking today is due to him playing with a knee brace on both legs.

Agreed that Garbutts action there was premeditated, clear, and he got all of the knee. This wasn't even close to incidental. Even the Dallas fans were reacting to the video. Being knowledgeable enough to suss out a stinker.

Glad to see Eberle and RNH come to Halls defense on that one play but one wonders how much this team would ever do that in relation to any other player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That knee deserves 2-3 games IMO. Hopefully whenever we play them again Gazdic knocks Garbutt out cold legally with a crushing right hand.
My thoughts exactly.
You would like to think there are still at least one or two Oilers who aren't content to slink back to the bench with their tail between their legs.
I'm not sure when the NHL is going to enter the new millennium and not look at actions from the standpoint of resultant injury. That's garbage.
Course it is, but when has the NHL ever been anything but a poorly run league when it comes to discipline?
This is why players have to take matters into their own hands.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Whats with Garbutt and the young upstarts on the Oilers? He really seems to take issue with the kidline and Stars like getting him out there to match. I remember something happening in an AHL game as well in lockout year and Garbutt always stirring and playing the kids hard that season.

Is it just that he's a a hard nosed undrafted guy from Winnipeg working his way up from ECHL with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove? Or something more. I don't see Garbutt bringing the same circus every game but sure does against us.

maybe due to no accountability but he seems to have issue with the guys. He went at Hall for a hit several times in the game. He's targeted Eberle and Hall Specifically.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Whats with Garbutt and the young upstarts on the Oilers? He really seems to take issue with the kidline and Stars like getting him out there to match. I remember something happening in an AHL game as well in lockout year and Garbutt always stirring and playing the kids hard that season.

Is it just that he's a a hard nosed undrafted guy from Winnipeg working his way up from ECHL with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove? Or something more. I don't see Garbutt bringing the same circus every game but sure does against us.

maybe due to no accountability but he seems to have issue with the guys. He went at Hall for a hit several times in the game. He's targeted Eberle and Hall Specifically.

Is he from the 'Peg? I thought that he was an Alberta boy. Roussel tuned Hall in during the lockout and IIRC they had our number, he definitely likes playing dirty against us. He ran our goalies last year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My thoughts exactly.
You would like to think there are still at least one or two Oilers who aren't content to slink back to the bench with their tail between their legs.
Course it is, but when has the NHL ever been anything but a poorly run league when it comes to discipline?
This is why players have to take matters into their own hands.

Yeah. I'm a pacifist but when see stuff like this you sure wonder what other alternative there is.

As others have mentioned some deterrence could be had in having a player with similar tactics. Basically the message is if you're going to take that licence with us you have a 20 goal scorer out there that would look good in traction...

not that I'm expousing that, whoops, I stated it..:amazed:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Is he from the 'Peg? I thought that he was an Alberta boy. Roussel tuned Hall in during the lockout and IIRC they had our number, he definitely likes playing dirty against us. He ran our goalies last year.

Yep. He's a Winnipeg boy born and raised. He ran Fasth last night in effect plowing Petry right into him. That was the disallowed goal.

Stars in general always seem to be a foot taller playing a club like ours. For sure they don't play LA this hard.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah. I'm a pacifist but when see stuff like this you sure wonder what other alternative there is.

As others have mentioned some deterrence could be had in having a player with similar tactics. Basically the message is if you're going to take that licence with us you have a 20 goal scorer out there that would look good in traction...

Yup, Seguin should've been run after that crap.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Any video on the infraction?

I missed the game..........again.

All my Oiler info pretty much comes from here now. I've pretty much quit watching these losers.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Ive never seen the harm in playing tit for tat. My bruins would have retaliated. My bruins arent sissys.

Oilers will continue to be easy targets.

I like seguin but he should have been kneed and elbowed tge rest of the night in response.

Tit for tat. Want to play a certain way? I can, as a coach, make my team play the exact same way. Knees open season? Run goalies? Flying elbows? No problem...i can allow that all game.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yup, Seguin should've been run after that crap.

As much as you don't wish injury on a player, I have to agree. With the instigator rule, you can't have a Semenko that will pound on the offending player whether he wants to go or not. Now, the only message that gets through to a rat, is if you go after a star teammate.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

All my Oiler info pretty much comes from here now. I've pretty much quit watching these losers.

Just more of the oilers being wimps and..exactly what we all know they are. The worthless and pathetic, and laughing stock, toilet deposits.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

It was the classic "Capital X" shaped, knee on knee through the neutral zone. Not as dirty as Hall's knee on Clutterbuck, but completely premeditated and the intent was there all the way through.

He's worth a deuce.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
As much as you don't wish injury on a player, I have to agree. With the instigator rule, you can't have a Semenko that will pound on the offending player whether he wants to go or not. Now, the only message that gets through to a rat, is if you go after a star teammate.

Well, what you say to the league and the offending team is you arent trying to injure. Garbutts hit and lack of suspension is good proof we can knee players and not injure them. I think its open season on kneeing top dallas stars players and roussel would be another player to knee...repeatedly. Its not wishing injury since...it doesn always injure...and according to the nhl is a safe and legal move that is part of the game requiring no suspension.

Sounds good to me.

But you know this organization right? You know they are the worst team to ever exist and also they love being bent over...they dont do anything to try to stop or fight it...they just crave it. They show that anyone in an oilers jersey wants ti be bent over.

Thats eakins team.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There is no alternative. Having watched Shanahan's career, and knowing that he was a guy who mixed in a fair bit of elbow and stickwork with his talent, I had hopes that he would bring the NHL around to a more reasonable disciplinary policy. Should have known better.

I'm not totally comfortable with taking blatant runs at guys not involved in the dirty play. I mean sure, if Seguin leaves himself open for a good clean check you take the opportunity to obliterate him, but personally I wouldn't go after a guy who was playing a clean game in retribution for the actions of his rat team mate.

I would like to see Garbutt man up and face the consequences. Just like I would love to see spot pickers like Bieksa and Kassian get what's coming to them. If they are unwilling to man up then someone (like Gazdic) needs to take a page from the way Peckham used to handle those situations.

Or Souray ... just saying ;)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
With the instigator rule, you can't have a Semenko that will pound on the offending player whether he wants to go or not.
I disagree. The Oilers are in the perfect position to not give a flying **** about the instigator. Its one of the "perks" of being so bad that you aren't going to win many game anyway. Just use it strategically - not that Eakins could ever be counted on to do that correctly either.
Gazdic is only gonna play five minutes on his best night anyway. If he gets tossed, oh well.
The PK is not as abysmal as the other facets of the Oilers game. And if we do give up a shortie, oh well. Its a small price to pay for the point being made.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I disagree. The Oilers are in the perfect position to not give a flying **** about the instigator. Its one of the "perks" of being so bad that you aren't going to win many game anyway. Just use it strategically - not that Eakins could ever be counted on to do that correctly either.
Gazdic is only gonna play five minutes on his best night anyway. If he gets tossed, oh well.
The PK is not as abysmal as the other facets of the Oilers game. And if we do give up a shortie, oh well. Its a small price to pay for the point being made.
Until the Oilers make it known that they are willing to stand up for themselves this will continue to happen. Garbut should have at least been drawn some negative attention from a couple of the more capable physical guys. The reaction to being pushed around is pathetic and more than anything is very telling of this team's mentality.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
He gets between 5 and 10 games.

And no, Garbutt would not stand up for himself if Gazdic went after him, and no Garbutt will not change his game if Gazdic had tried to fight him. If Gazdic had went after Jamie Benn or Sequin, I'll bet you the heat from inside the room would a lot greater than anything and Oiler said or did to Garbutt. No one wants to get punched out because your teammate is an idiot, his own teammates didn't like that play.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Until the Oilers make it known that they are willing to stand up for themselves this will continue to happen. Garbut should have at least been drawn some negative attention from a couple of the more capable physical guys. The reaction to being pushed around is pathetic and more than anything is very telling of this team's mentality.

Its also on the coach to send a message, Eakins turtled as much as Garbutt would have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad