Post-Game Talk: Garbage PP costs us. Oilers lose 6-4 to Bolts

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Burns, Boyle, Thornton, and Marleau.

We have Hall, Draisaitl, Yakupov, Eberle, etc and Woodcroft can't run those offensive firepower successfully on a PP? Beyond inexcusable. He's lucky that he's McLellan's guy, otherwise he'll be out.

Nobody you listed is a threat from the point.

Oilers PP units consist of 4 forwards and 1 defenseman, but none of the defensemen are capable of doing anything offensive. That leaves you with 4 forwards against 4 penalty killers. Maybe constantly missing the net, shooting into shin pads, or dumping it into the corner counts as .5, so they have a half-man advantage on the PP.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Nuge gone for 6 to 8 is another kick to the gonads. I am liking the play of Letestu and Paki. Good grinders and can help out on the big lines if need being. Kassian could be the Ace. When the Oilers break for the all star, send Kassian to Bakersfield, play him a ton of minutes. Feb 2, try him with Yak-McJesus-Kassian. Could be very interesting line

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
He went to the circle, and he did it because he doesn't trust himself to make a save. Its pretty ****ing clear he has no confidence in himself, and for good reason he can't track a puck or control a rebound to save his life. He's a ****ing steaming turd in net.

This is the first time I've seen Nilsson do this. Watching Jultz throw his hands in the air and coast in to the open net might be blinding me

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not defending, but Talbot has had a bad stretch as well.

That was then, this is now. Then Nilsson was going to be our starter and posters were discussing Talbot's value in a trade.

In my book Nilsson was ok up until that last goal against. Those things happen, to better keepers than Nilsson, but it cost us the game and if he'd be our starter now that mistake alone should and would have cost him that. He lost us the game and he needs to sit, which he will.

A little bit like Talbot on Oct 31 against CGY. Lost us the game with 9 secs to go in the 3rd, it was 4-4.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You are going way overboard. He's had some less than steller games recently but most of them he has been either ok to good.
Lol you can't be serious. He hasn't had an ok to good game in over a month. The fact he thought he needed to go out and play that when Boyle was about to get a terrible angle chance, and then hesitated and lost a race to a puck that he should of won. Just laughable goaltending. His rebound control and puck tracking is god awful, and his lateral movement is pretty ****ing bad.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
This is literally the most puzzling team I've ever watched in my entire life. They finally produce some offense, without RNH, and Nilsson goes and let's up 5 goals and the game winner which speaks for itself.

They can't do themselves any favors which obviously isn't going to end well when 3 of your top players are out with injuries. Winners win, and losers lose please ship out these losers Chia. I don't know how much more he needs to 'evaluate' Schultz before he realizes that he's a steaming hot pile of **** that doesn't belong on this side of the Atlantic.

Also glad to see Kassian got one, I hope that continues I really want him to succeed here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If you score 4, you should win. Sure our PP stunk, but what else do you want? 7 goals?

The first few weren't his fault, but the game winner was. Hope that's the last we see from Anders for some time.

At least Calgary lost.

Ya, I'm on top of the world because of that. It's all that matters on a night we lost.:shakehead:sarcasm:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the team fought hard tonight. It was a chaotic night. Nilsson's big brain fart was the difference tonight but I don't think we should hang it all on the goalie.

Like the title says, our PP is killing us. It magnifies all our problems, and there is actually a connection between the Nilsson gaffe and the awful PP. If we had the puck in the offensive zone on the PP more, our goalie wouldn't have to make those decisions as much.

It's also telling that Stamkos can slewfoot Kassian with impunity. He knows our PP is awful. At this point you might as well abuse our team. Our momentum dies on the PP

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This probably will get ignored due to the very much called-for venting, but one thought -

why don't we ever seem to try Drai for net front or driving the net on the PP? He's our closest thing to a power player right now, and if our D can't friggin open lanes, you'd think tasking Drai with driving into the middle of the ice would at least open space somewhat.

Lord knows Letestu and Pouliot don't seem capable of doing it...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People are still blaming Yak for Nilsson's braindead play is just comical.

Primarily Nilsson's fault of course, but Yak did stop skating. If he continues he makes the save. At any rate, less than stellar goaltending cost us the game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The game winner wasn't the only bad goal Nilsson let in tonight.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
the team fought hard tonight. It was a chaotic night. Nilsson's big brain fart was the difference tonight but I don't think we should hang it all on the goalie.

Like the title says, our PP is killing us. It magnifies all our problems, and there is actually a connection between the Nilsson gaffe and the awful PP. If we had the puck in the offensive zone on the PP more, our goalie wouldn't have to make those decisions as much.

It's also telling that Stamkos can slewfoot Kassian with impunity. He knows our PP is awful. At this point you might as well abuse our team. Our momentum dies on the PP

If not for his stupid play, the game would've went to OT. For him to go out of his net against Boyle out of all people just shows his confidence level. Its BOYLE. Not STAMKOS for crying out loud. Stay in your ****ing net!

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Nobody you listed is a threat from the point.

Oilers PP units consist of 4 forwards and 1 defenseman, but none of the defensemen are capable of doing anything offensive. That leaves you with 4 forwards against 4 penalty killers. Maybe constantly missing the net, shooting into shin pads, or dumping it into the corner counts as .5, so they have a half-man advantage on the PP.

So who was our point threat when we had one of the better PPs in the league?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
When you have a mediocre defence, you can win some games with outstanding goaltending, as we've had with Talbot. Tonight, not so much. I simply don't trust Nilsson to come up with the saves when we need them anymore. His rebound control is just brutal. Defence was not great, but 4 goals should be enough for us to win most games.

Finally more people noting this. It has been all year. Tall goalies are often clumsy with rebound control and have more difficulty tracking on ice pucks. he gave up rebounds on very routine plays at net.

Too bad as I thought the club showed some battle coming back.

Also have to say it. The Oilers OWNED the lightning on a shift with minutes left where the Hall Draisaitl line got a handful of quality scoring chances on the one shift. Everything but score. Nice push back there.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
At least 10 points lost due to refs and just....****** games we should have won but somehow did not....

We have zero killer instinct. I thought we had it at the start of the year....but it has been gone for months now. 83% of the time we have a chance to score we miss the net.....and 75% of the time we score on flukes.

What happened to these fools? There must be something you can do if you're getting checked tight....so do that.....do it.....do it....

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Lol you can't be serious. He hasn't had an ok to good game in over a month. The fact he thought he needed to go out and play that when Boyle was about to get a terrible angle chance, and then hesitated and lost a race to a puck that he should of won. Just laughable goaltending. His rebound control and puck tracking is god awful, and his lateral movement is pretty ****ing bad.

I meant over the course of the year. Bad game tonight and cost us goals but hardly had any help from the D. Most goaltenders not named Price are going to struggle with how we played D tonight.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
People are still blaming Yak for Nilsson's braindead play is just comical.
What's comical is the defence mechanism posting that goes on after the slightest suggestion that Yak could have been better on specific plays.

Gambl0r83*

Anders was bad, but today was the first game in a long time where they reminded me of the Eakins Oilers.
Wide open players, open slot, puck watching, multiple blue line fumbles.
The team was clearly no where near the mental fortitude and sharpness they were gaining as each game progresses.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Primarily Nilsson's fault of course, but Yak did stop skating. If he continues he makes the save. At any rate, less than stellar goaltending cost us the game.

..........................lol. Like, as in he hops into the net and plays goaltender makes the save? Because he was already in position to attempt to intercept the puck. He missed, you can blame him for that, but he wasn't out of position by the time the shot was made.

edit: AS THAT PICTURE ASUNO POSTED SHOWS.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Nilsson should never start again. Start riding Talbot and don't look back.
Brad Hunt needs to gtfo like ASAP. You have one job Hunt, this whole game, ONE JOB.
Eberle seem to be allergic puck battles. His playing softer then Purcell.
Can't believe how crappy our PowePlay, considering we have the same core as last year.

So true. Especially in the defensive zone. Every single time the puck comes to him along the wall to get it out, the D pinches down because they know it's a guaranteed keep in against him.

That said, this game was clearly lost by Nilsson and the ridiculously bad Powerplay. Can we PLEASE tell Hunt and Schultz to GTFO and try Nurse? How could he possibly be any worse than what we've got?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

He looked like he got confused at Nilsson. He was chasing down Boyle and then saw Nilsson leave the net and probably thought he'd win the race to the puck (which he should have) and stopped up in case there was a trailer. Not his fault Nilsson is full braindead.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Nice to get an opposition fan commenting. Drai is the real deal. Hall we always knew was. But Drai really strong on the puck and hard to contain.

Things are coming together here finally. We're getting some stronger players coming in and you can see we're playing with more of an edge now.

Really liked Pakarinens game out there and working well with Kassian.
That show on NHL about the Oilers were good and made me realize how you guys basically have your own culture in Edmonton, how tight some of the players were and how they always played to have fun. Really can't blame them for the **** management they and you guys have had to deal with. There's one Canadian team I don't mind and that's Edmonton, the rest can bug off :P

I don't watch EDM enough but it's nice to watch them when we play each other. I've said this for years about Tampa, cut the dead weight. Get rid of guys that bring nothing to the table and we went from a Ryan Malone to Ondrej Palat. Went from Brendan Mikkelsen to Jason Garrison. Hopefully you guys get what you have wanted for years, a winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad