GDT: Game XVII 1800hrs EST Pens vs Knights: Win it for MAF!

Who scores tonight:

• Sid

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Geno

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Smith

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
penguins-of-madagascar-penguins.gif

vs

200w.gif

ekri6mh5kt1mdvpxdfgj.jpg

7261_pittsburgh_penguins-jersey-1996.png

Game Notes

The Penguins take on the defending Stanley Cup Champion Golden Knights for the first time this season. Both teams will be playing the second half of a back-to-back after Saturday night losses on the road.

This will be the Penguins' second set of back-to-back games on the season. Thus far, Pittsburgh is 2-1-0 (1-1-0 in the first game; 1-0-0 in the second game).

Reilly Smith is set to face his former team, the Vegas Golden Knights, for the first time since being acquired by Pittsburgh on June 28, 2023. Smith with an integral part of the Golden Knights' Stanley Cup championship-winning team, tallying 14 points (4G-10A) in 22 games during the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

With an assist last night, Kris Letang became just the third active, and 28th blueliner in NHL history, to record 700 points. Letang also became the 10th defenseman in NHL history to record 700 points with one franchise.

Sidney Crosby enters tonight’s game riding an 11-game point streak (9G-8A) and has been held without a point just once in 16 games this year. Crosby's 12-goals are tied for sixth in the NHL, and just two goals off of being tied for most in the league.

Erik Karlsson found the scoresheet for the eighth-straight game (1A) last night against Carolina. His eight-game point streak is the longest active point streak among defensemen. He also surpassed Rob Blake for sole possession of the 20th most points among defensemen in NHL history.

Jeff Carter has 14 points (8G-6A) in 20 career games against Vegas. Only 11 players in NHL history have more goals vs. the Golden Knights than Carter's eight.

1841701608-128880073710663984.png

pittsburgh-penguins-iceburgh.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Knights lost last night, citing bad puck management in the third period…Pens issue too lol…between the bad ice at PPG, the backup goalie and the sloppy nature of this team, this could be a fun one with a lot of goals scored, or just a lot of goals scored by the Knights lol…we’ll see…their road trip through the East hasn’t been really good for them but the Pens may be the worst team they’ll face lol

wish we had hired this guy when he was cut loose From Boston…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As everyone knows, I’m squarely in the one line team won’t win no matter how good the line…break it temporarily to see if we can get two good lines rather than one go really good line and three shitty ones

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

First line has been great, leave it alone. Second line has been good, Smith and Geno have great chemistry, leave Rakell and it alone. Third line has been great, leave it alone. Stop giving Sully ideas on messing with what is working instead of what isnt.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
First line has been great, leave it alone. Second line has been good, Smith and Geno have great chemistry, leave Rakell and it alone. Third line has been great, leave it alone. Stop giving Sully ideas on messing with what is working instead of what isnt.
L2 and L3 hasn’t been doing much, mediocre to poor, for several games…Smith and G lost their mojo which I’m blaming on G…I wouldn’t go much longer without trying something else and Z in L2 ain’t it…options are limited

Reactions: Darren McCord

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
2nd line was just fine without Rakell scoring any goals earlier in the year. Malkin is likely sick as a lot of people are this time of year which has more to do with L2 going cold than anything. Rakell will come along eventually. It's not like he forgot how to score.

This is one of the cases where I actually support Sully's stubbornness to keeping lines together. Naturally as a result, I'm expecting huge changes that make things much worse.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
L2 and L3 hasn’t been doing much, mediocre to poor, for several games…Smith and G lost their mojo which I’m blaming on G…I wouldn’t go much longer without trying something else and Z in L2 ain’t it…options are limited
Quiet you :P

L3 isnt getting buried, as long as they are neutral or a small positive, thats all we can really ask for with the talent on hand. This team is going to ride or die on the top 6. Let them work out their issues instead of swapping things around.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Quiet you :P

L3 isnt getting buried, as long as they are neutral or a small positive, thats all we can really ask for with the talent on hand. This team is going to ride or die on the top 6. Let them work out their issues instead of swapping things around.
Not a lot of time to work out issues before the bottom falls out lol…I favor bold changes..gotta take a risk if you want things to change…same w the horrific PP btw, probably more important than 5v5

Reactions: ChaosAgent

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I'd be all for putting rakell on L3 and taking either DoC or big Z up to L2. Neither are gonna light it up, but... DoC's forechecking/speed can possibly help Geno on Smith have more room to operate. I dunno how many times we see DoC make a good play and get the puck in a high danger area but no one (himself included) can finish for crap. Maybe if he was giving that puck over to Smith or Geno the results would be a bit better. Still I'm starting to sour on Rakell, he definitely should be able to turn it around. But give him easier opposition and let him figure it out on L3 for a time.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'd be all for putting rakell on L3 and taking either DoC or big Z up to L2. Neither are gonna light it up, but... DoC's forechecking/speed can possibly help Geno on Smith have more room to operate. I dunno how many times we see DoC make a good play and get the puck in a high danger area but no one (himself included) can finish for crap. Maybe if he was giving that puck over to Smith or Geno the results would be a bit better. Still I'm starting to sour on Rakell, he definitely should be able to turn it around. But give him easier opposition and let him figure it out on L3 for a time.
Was tried last night w Z on L2… it’s not workable with the current version of Geno playing…Rust needs to be on that line…w the way Sid is going, let him take on the burden of a non scorer on L1

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Rakell was pretty solid even he wasn't scoring when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. And Rust was pretty awful last season when he wasn't scoring and his defensive prowess is rather overrated. Not that I would mind if the lines are juggled a bit but these knee jerk generalisations are pretty funny.

It probably won't matter anyway as long as the team is the king of mental midgets. I wonder what it's going to be this time - a back-breaking shortie? A comic goalie blunder in the worst possible moment? An own goal? Or maybe they will show up for a change because it's a Western conference team.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rakell was pretty solid even he wasn't scoring when he first arrived in Pittsburgh. And Rust was pretty awful last season when he wasn't scoring and his defensive prowess is rather overrated. Not that I would mind if the lines are juggled a bit but these knee jerk generalisations are pretty funny.

It probably won't matter anyway as long as the team is the king of mental midgets. I wonder what it's going to be this time - a back-breaking shortie? A comic goalie blunder in the worst possible moment? An own goal? Or maybe they will show up for a change because it's a Western conference team.
Yeah lubes should be situational to how individuals are playing at a given time, to opponents and same w adjustments/schemes…they should not be set in stone like this coach wants to do…right now we need to move Rust down…or maybe swap Jake and Smith

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just finished the last game... penguins are 4-points from dead last bottom, or 4-points from (equal points) top wild card team.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Jake’s been productive, but Rust has been the only winger who’s legitimately bringing it every night. Not good.

Smith has been terrific. The other 2 guys on his line, not so much since the Sharks game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad