Post-Game Talk: Game XVI - Pens Get Metrodomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think the fact they improved the roster with adding Karlsson and Smith over Petry and Zucker from last year and the record is almost exactly the same speaks volumes about the one change they didn't (and refuse to) make.

Like, it's not a Cup contending roster. But it should be *better* than the one from last year just due to the Karlsson addition alone. Yet here we are.
But he got us 2 cups…7 years ago when we don’t get this cup.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

That's exactly what it feels like watching this team. Outside of one decent shift by PP2 in the 2nd, we are essentially the Pittsburgh ErikCrosGuentRustyMalkin's.

Must say though Rust has continued to look fantastic. Picked a great pocket on the breakaway.

Its just tiring seeing the Raantas, Mrazeks, Hussos of the NHL outduel our 27 million dollar goalie.

What blame on Jarry?
(raises hand)

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Asking our goalie to steal a game for us isn't the tallest ask dudes. It's already happened 4 or 5 times to teams that beat us this year.

Reactions: wizmet12

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just don't know how you guys still have the energy to get riled up over Sullivan anymore. Isn't it f***ing exhausting still caring about Sullivan in 2023, just about 2024? :laugh: It's like being mad at Simon for not being able to score, or Carter for being old and shitty. It's just who the guy is. His head's shoved so far up his own ass and he's had nothing but obsessive amounts of praise heaped upon him by the media, colleagues, and the rest of the hockeysphere, despite not doing anything for years. If (soon to be) six years of 1st round exits/missing entirely hasn't gotten him to adapt or evolve to any notable degree, he never will.
Something is up when you consistently cycle in new faces and get the same results.

Hell look at Washington.
Yeah, I mean, the coach sucks. We've been in agreement for a long time. He's continually refused to make no-brainer line changes when needed, let alone a complete system overhaul, and wants the bottom-6 to be this zero-event pile of grey slop and doesn't know or care how to coach a PP. But FSG is nothing like the cold, calculated, results-driven bunch of robots people told us they'd be; they fawn over Sullivan and Dubas like they're all time greats. Speaking of, the new guy they got to run the FO brought back essentially the same exact bottom-6 but with different names, the same shithead goalie, and lucked into being the only GM who cared enough to shift around the salary to get Karlsson this off-season.

But If "something is up" means the lockerroom or team doesn't click with Sullivan, or that there's some mounting frustration behind closed doors, I think that's just hardcore projection on this fanbase's part. By all accounts, everybody loves the guy in-organization and out. Hell, if Sid wasn't on the same page as Sullivan or disliked him as a coach, Sully would've been gone by now. I f***in' *wish* Sid hated Sullivan, because that seems to be the only way this team's ever gonna be rid of him tbh. I think the fact that Sully seems pretty much infallible is evidence of the opposite; Sid (and the room) are totally bought in and love the guy. I think that's the shitty, awful to accept truth. :laugh:
I think the fact they improved the roster with adding Karlsson and Smith over Petry and Zucker from last year and the record is almost exactly the same speaks volumes about the one change they didn't (and refuse to) make.

Like, it's not a Cup contending roster. But it should be *better* than the one from last year just due to the Karlsson addition alone. Yet here we are.
I'm not sure I agree that they should be markedly better tbh. I'm sure that was the hope, but not sure how realistic it was. Even as the rumors were swirling about the trade, we all pretty much assumed Karlsson wasn't gonna be enough to dramatically shift the trajectory this team's been on for years, and that it was more of a move that would change how watchable a product we'd get as fans as opposed to producing any notable jump in the standings. /shrug

As soon as Sullivan did his word vomit about wanting to help Karlsson be a better d-man, I just had a sad chuckle, shook my head and checked out of the season. Thankfully it seems like Karlsson's ignoring any influence Sullivan may have and is just doing his own thing though.

Again, the bottom-6 is what we all thought it'd be. The coach has sucked for going on six years. They still have a guy in net who is just as likely to let in three softies a game as he is to have a shutout. Adding Karlsson was awesome, especially at the price paid, and he's been great, but I think this team's flawed enough that one guy wasn't going to come in and change things all that much--even a guy as good as Karlsson still is.

-edit- Also, just for shits and giggles, I looked up Zucker's first 16 games of last season and Smith's first 16 games as a Penguin. Zucker had 15pts at this point last year, Smith's sitting at 12pts. So Smith's been good, but healthy Zucker was good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm really f***in drunk. BUTT, I think this team looks like last year's team plus Erik Karlsson, and frankly that';s not enough to beat the powerhouses of the leagtue

I also admit I didn't watch the game at all, but I iknow how it went from reading your ugysd posts

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
The usual:

-Plenty of grade A chances but can't finish
-PP sucks and is losing us games
-4th line still sucks

Jarry had a great game, would have been ugly otherwise. Perhaps Geno is still feeling after effects from his flu or whatever it was? He's been only ok lately. Ruhwedel was noticeable in a bad way.

I really hope Dubas sees what a disaster the PP is and does... something. Anything. It feels like it has sucked for years. We need to play a near perfect game to have a chance against top teams. It's just not possible to beat them with a below-average PP.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah let’s sell everyone before trying a new coach.

What a great idea…. lolz
Unless a new coach can turn back father time that'd be an exercise in futility.

And they're not gonna fire Sullivan, whether they should or not. So on this matter you're 0 for 2

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

But we're a year older with our core, and in four months they'll be able to collect social security.

Can't you guys just ACCEPT that maybe we're just not good enough? We're not fast enough, We can't finish, we're not disciplined enough, we make poor decisions with the puck. A new coach isn't gonna necessarily change those dynamics.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
FSG Likely, not likely, VERY likely believes Sullivan is the main reason they're even competitive.

ACCEPT your fate.

Don’t like Zohorna in the top 6.

That said, the list of minuses in this team is huge, but it starts at the top with Sullsma.
Right and since he has job security what are the alternatives?

Crosby at a 61 goal pace.

Karlsson looked good.

Carolina and NJ got our number.
3 for 3 here, 100%

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Josey, these words are too big for you.
Your parents have higher IQs than you.
well considering both my parents are in Heaven, But thanks for being a Cretin

Bruins fired their coach and had a historic season, Caps fired their coach and have started out well so far this season. Idk maybe something to consider.
& Bruins got beat in 1st round You forgot that part, because it doesn't go with your agenda

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I was just thinking "How the hell can two teams with so much talent be so terrible on the power play" when the Canes scored just when their power play was about to expire.

This time Jarry played well, there was a movie script-like momentum swing in the third with that disallowed goal and the Pens tying goal... and they still found a way to lose in regulation to a divisional opponent. Deja vu.

Now that Malkin looks his age, be it because of an illness or because, you know, he is 37 after all, this team can't play this kind of wide open games against any half-decent opponent and expect to win. Especially opponents who have beaten them so many times in a row. But no, they keep trying it. The definition of insanity comes to mind.

Though to be honest, the team is so weak mentally that it's going to be mediocre at best with any tactics. Did anyone at all think there was a snow ball chance in hell they would tie the game when it became 3-2? Finding a way to lose is their modus operandi. This time they were even comprehensively beaten in Sully's favourite category - expected goals.

I don't know if Sully is as lost as we think or the players refuse to play more conservatively but it's clear the team is going nowhere with him at the helm. Roll the dice with a new coach, if it doesn't work, start the rebuild a year or two earlier. Better than this false hope mediocrity that we are stuck in.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I was just thinking "How the hell can two teams with so much talent be so terrible on the power play" when the Canes scored just when their power play was about to expire.

This time Jarry played well, there was a movie script-like momentum swing in the third with that disallowed goal and the Pens tying goal... and they still found a way to lose in regulation to a divisional opponent. Deja vu.

Now that Malkin looks his age, be it because of an illness or because, you know, he is 37 after all, this team can't play this kind of wide open games against any half-decent opponent and expect to win. Especially opponents who have beaten them so many times in a row. But no, they keep trying it. The definition of insanity comes to mind.

Though to be honest, the team is so weak mentally that it's going to be mediocre at best with any tactics. Did anyone at all think there was a snow ball chance in hell they would tie the game when it became 3-2? Finding a way to lose is their modus operandi. This time they were even comprehensively beaten in Sully's favourite category - expected goals.

I don't know if Sully is as lost as we think or the players refuse to play more conservatively but it's clear the team is going nowhere with him at the helm. Roll the dice with a new coach, if it doesn't work, start the rebuild a year or two earlier. Better than this false hope mediocrity that we are stuck in.
Well ask yourself this question? when they played a more conservative system & were winning who decided it was great that they were winning but it wasn't exciting ?

FSG?

Kyle Dubas?

Coaching Staff?

Players?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Sully needs to wake the hell up about his line management to stop the bleeding in the 3rd periods with this old AF roster. You cannot have such lopsided ice times on D AND have the oldest roster in the league without paying the price.

PIT goals against by period

1st, 2nd, 3rd
9, 15, 22

Also, why is Chad RudeWeasel playing in front of POJ? Or Noel Accari playing in front of anyone with a pulse? Jarry should NOT be starting in front of Hellberg for consecutive games either.

This team is so frustrating because they rope you back in with several wins, then shoot themselves in the foot for several losses.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm really f***in drunk. BUTT, I think this team looks like last year's team plus Erik Karlsson, and frankly that';s not enough to beat the powerhouses of the leagtue

I also admit I didn't watch the game at all, but I iknow how it went from reading your ugysd posts

Best post of the thread. Accurate too.

Reactions: Pancakes

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Rakell is fine. He's a decent top 6 RW who is playing ok but wasteful with his chances. His center is also generating very little at 5-on-5.

He'll score 15-18 this year.
his center so far 5 on 5 on ice: created 50 HDCF but was on for 43 HDCA....at that time on ice they scored 4 HDCG (out of 50) while they were scored on 10 out of 43. His center does not have any secondary assists 5 on 5, which tells you something about complementary pieces while he is on

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad