Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
4709e3b39d319db0824ce7c6a03b1982.gif

vs

giphy.gif

gnzelalphgivqhtgobsz.jpg

The Pittsburgh Penguins are back on the road for one game as they take on the Carolina Hurricanes at 7:00 PM.

The game will be available to watch on SportsNet Pittsburgh and ESPN+. Fans can listen to the game on the Penguins app and on 105.9 the X.

Team Records:
PIT (8-7-0)
CAR (9-7-0)

pittsburgh-penguins-iceburgh.gif

Game Notes

Erik Karlsson (777) is one point shy of surpassing Rob Blake (777) for sole possession of the 20th most points among a defenseman in NHL history.

Tonight, forward Noel Acciari is set to appear in his 400th career NHL game. Acciari leads Pittsburgh in hits (31) and ranks first among team forwards with 18 blocked shots. His 2:33 minutes of shorthanded time-on-ice per game is also first among team forwards and third overall on the Penguins.

Evgeni Malkin and Rust each are tied for the team lead on the Penguins with three first goals of the game, and only Boston’s Pavel Zacha (4) and Toronto’s William Nylander (4) have more such goals in the league than the Pittsburgh duo.

The Penguins enters tonight’s game with wins in four-consecutive road games, which is the second-longest active road winning streak in the NHL behind the Los Angeles Kings (7).

Kris Letang enters tonight’s game one point shy of becoming just the third active, and 28th blueliner in NHL history, to record 700 points. Letang (157G-542A) is also looking to become the 10th defenseman in NHL history to record 700 points with one franchise.

Sidney Crosby enters tonight’s game riding a 10-game point streak (7G-8A) and has been held without a point just once in 15 games this year. His point streak is the longest by a Penguin this season, and this point streak marks the 11th point streak of 10 or more games in his career. Crosby is just the 15th player in NHL history with 11 point streaks of 10 or more games, and he and Connor McDavid (12x) are the only active players to accomplish this feat.

Erik Karlsson found the scoresheet for the seventh-straight game (1A) on Thursday night against New Jersey. His seven-game point streak is the longest active point streak among defensemen.

b9759ab3f4ed415637459455826128426af7c4c415120d81e7fc6db8218afa1b.gif

giphy.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can’t wait for the postgame presser tonight from Sullivan: “That was a much better effort than the one we had against New Jersey. The puck just didn’t fall our way. But if we play this way, we’ll win most games.“

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Here's a clue Sully: sloppy puck management and leaky goaltending are why they lost the last game. The players do this because there are no consequences from the coaches for playing soft.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sully: I'm trying to understand the hows and whys.

Me: I wonder how, I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue-blue sky
And all that I can see is just another lemon tree

Seriously, he has no answers? That's brand new information!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sully: I'm trying to understand the hows and whys.

Me: I wonder how, I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue-blue sky
And all that I can see is just another lemon tree

Seriously, he has no answers? That's brand new information!
Lol…that was hysterical…”I’m struggling to understand the hows and whys” (of why we lost to NJ and lacked “energy, effort and execution”)…ah, how about the Devils are just a way better team than your guys and have better coaching? lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They are better than the effort they displayed on Thursday. This is a real opportunity to buckle down, played structured, and win a game against a good team.

This is not a foregone conclusion.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
they just had a 5 game win streak. the only place considering this some sort of probable loss is this board

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
they just had a 5 game win streak. the only place considering this some sort of probable loss is this board
I mean they did go 0-4 against the Canes last year.

Twill be a tough game I reckon

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
A little strange if Sullivan doesn't know why they struggled against NJ. I'm guessing he does but probably wants to keep the cards close to the chest? It's clear they struggled with turnovers and handling NJ's speed (which were exacerbated by said turnovers). If Letang doesn't make the giveaway on the 1st goal and Acciari on the 2nd, they might have come away with at least a point.

Carolina is a whole different style than the Devils, though, one that I think the Pens match up against better. Canes don't seem to be playing as well as they were last season. Both teams will want to bounce back after losses. Should be a good game. Believe people!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We have beat exactly 2 good teams this year: The Avs when they went on their cold streak and didn't score for like 3 straight games and the Kings in OT. We have also lost to some pretty meh teams.

Playing the NJ's and Dallas' and likely Carolina's is a glimpse into this team's fate: by no means a bottom feeder but also miles away from being a contender.

Not to mention we haven't matched up well against the Canes in like 3 years. They (like NJ) are fast. We have a coach who refuses to accept we are not fast and the result is usually ugly like last game.

Reactions: Al Smith and Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
In my experience watching the NHL, teams are very vulnerable following winning streaks.

For example since Vegas' unbeaten streak ended, they lost 3 of the next 4, including a 3-0 shutout loss to the Caps.
Or for example last year, we had a 13-0-1 stretch in November-December, followed by losing 7 of the next 8.

It's just hard to get back on the horse.

Last edited:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
We have beat exactly 2 good teams this year: The Avs when they went on their cold streak and didn't score for like 3 straight games and the Kings in OT. We have also lost to some pretty meh teams.
I don't necessarily expect either record to last, but the Caps are 8-4-2 and the Ducks are 9-8. Just sayin'

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just want to see one Carolina matchup where Sullivan actually plays the matchup game and stops letting Brind’Amour put Staal out against Geno’s line…that’s been a terrible matchup for us….get Geno away from him…first step towards winning a damn game against the Canes

Reactions: Still Apps

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't necessarily expect either record to last, but the Caps are 8-4-2 and the Ducks are 9-8. Just sayin'
Both are not good teams. Ducks started off hot and are going to where everyone expected and Caps will get there at some point too.

If you want to hang your hat on beating them I guess low expectations are hard to disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad