Post-Game Talk: Game VI Pens loss to Stars: Our Stars can’t dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't even mind if they lose. But at least be somewhat entertaining. Some of those teams/games in like 2011, 2012, etc were frustrating as hell, but at least they were fun to watch.
That is the problem now. Bad and dreadfully boring. I literally watch to see how terrible they can get.
Not because they are a fun team to watch. Reduced to a joke of a team under sully.... that is what they want, okay... I'll watch for the laffs

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Not that this team should be contending for a Cup or anything like that, but it's frustrating watching the team have the same problems for years. This team should be in playoff contention, not a bottom 10 team, but that's the trajectory they appear to be on this year.

I don't know how Dubas can come in from outside the organization, see this team play the way it does and not see that a coaching change is at least worth a shot. They can't afford to fall too far back in the standings, this isn't 2016, they aren't going to storm back like that.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You can start by getting a draft pick and prospect for guentzel

Lol

Let sid retire, get some more shit from MTL for Letang, see what FLA wants for Geno.

See.. Boom goes the dynamite. Rebuild commence
YAHTZEE! And by trading Rust right now when he's hot. I understand that he has an NTC, but make him an offer he can't refuse. If Rakell catches fire, move him. Again, all trades should be for youth and or picks. Dump anyone of value, and if any of the big 3 complain, ship their keisters out as well.

I appreciate the cups, but that doesn't give any of them carte blanche for an 8 year long swan song.

If Dubas has chubblies.............this will be the plan of attack. IF not, expect more draft capital wasted and a shiny new Jake contract.

It's so sad that they lost guys like McCann and Kap for nothing. That's the only thing that really pisses me off. Complete and utter ignorance.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I don't even mind if they lose. But at least be somewhat entertaining. Some of those teams/games in like 2011, 2012, etc were frustrating as hell, but at least they were fun to watch.

The "somewhat entertaining" part, plus putting some butts in the seats @ PPG and selling some additional "merch" was the main, if not entire, rationale for acquiring EK. The entertaining part sure has worn off quickly, though we can hardly blame EK for the mundane quality of the play of the team as a whole and the fact that nothing seems to have changed since last year.

Nobody should have thought EK was going to approach last year's numbers to begin with, but what did anyone who is logical actually expect would be his marginal value over Petry (not to mention opening up a GAPING wound at #3 RD by losing Rutta), and running up his point total (if that even happens) to some extent only at the expense of Letang or someone else? How many *net* goals (plus and minus) was EK ever really going to be responsible for here?

They said: "We hate Petry and Rutta's just an easily replaceable dime-a-dozen type, and EK is going make our PP tops in the league and be a big plus-player at even strength...."; that kind of thinking has worn off already too. Yes it's just 6 games but we're probably going to be saying "it's just 15 games", "it's not even the New Year yet", "wait until the trade deadline, we just need one more piece", and so forth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The "somewhat entertaining" part, plus putting some butts in the seats @ PPG and selling some additional "merch" was the main, if not entire, rationale for acquiring EK. The entertaining part sure has worn off quickly, though we can hardly blame EK for the mundane quality of the play of the team as a whole and the fact that nothing seems to have changed since last year.

Nobody should have thought EK was going to approach last year's numbers to begin with, but what did anyone who is logical actually expect would be his marginal value over Petry (not to mention opening up a GAPING wound at #3 RD by losing Rutta), and running up his point total (if that even happens) to some extent only at the expense of Letang or someone else? How many *net* goals (plus and minus) was EK ever really going to be responsible for here?

They said: "We hate Petry and Rutta's just an easily replaceable dime-a-dozen type, and EK is going make our PP tops in the league and be a big plus-player at even strength...."; that kind of thinking has worn off already too. Yes it's just 6 games but we're probably going to saying "it's just 15 games", it's not even the New Year yet", "wait until the trade deadline, we just need one more piece", and so forth.

@BlindWillyMcHurt told you.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
A veteran NHL evaluator, someone who knows more about hockey than the rest of us will ever forget -- combined -- shared with me an observation about this sequence that was too profane to print. And that evaluator was completely correct: This power play, with this obscene level of talent, constantly kills itself by kicking the puck backward rather than ... you know, whipping around and ramming it on net. As Geno could've done. As others out there could've pounced up, had they been operating with their semblances of urgency. DK

Kovacevic: These perimeter Penguins keep avoiding where a game's won

Reactions: Ugene Magic

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
how dare you
ngl, kev's been throwin some heaters lately.
Yeah, exactly. I remember how we were all excited in the summer that at least the EK trade meant things had to change and get more exciting, which was true for exactly 2 games against terrible opponents. :laugh:

It's like they're trying to play bad, boring hockey and by god, they're succeeding at it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
A veteran NHL evaluator, someone who knows more about hockey than the rest of us will ever forget -- combined -- shared with me an observation about this sequence that was too profane to print. And that evaluator was completely correct: This power play, with this obscene level of talent, constantly kills itself by kicking the puck backward rather than ... you know, whipping around and ramming it on net. As Geno could've done. As others out there could've pounced up, had they been operating with their semblances of urgency. DK

I don't think this is anything new. It's actually been beaten to death they don't attack the box or shoot enough with clean looks being the best shooters on the team.

ngl, kev's been throwin some heaters lately.

Yeah, exactly. I remember how we were all excited in the summer that at least the EK trade meant things had to change and get more exciting, which was true for exactly 2 games against terrible opponents. :laugh:

It's like they're trying to play bad, boring hockey and by god, they're succeeding at it.

It's everything between the Smith and Karlsson trades that has everything amuck.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Must be the stars fault our coach can't coach the powerplay.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sid, too polite and loyal to the coach to call for his ouster.
Sid, also will not listen to any coaching whatsoever and is a tyrannical coach killer.
Sid also loves comfort, which is great when you're the best player in the game, but annoying in selfish when you're not. A list actors sometimes turn into supporting actors as they age and are treated as such. It's reality everywhere except this organization.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I think that there's some truth to the fact that Sid is a bit of a prima dona and kinda gets in the way of the team playing sometimes, but I don't think he's exactly trying to kill Sullivan here. I think Sullivan's doing that all on his own.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Sid is the most robotic team first star ever. If Sullivan can't manage a Sid level ego he would be totally lost with an Ovechkin or McDavid trying to get them to be halfway good defenders.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
So... at this point now, you think the oldest team in the nhl _is not_ past its prime!?
:laugh:
But it’s not the old players failing. They’re still productive which might be part of the problem.

The teams built, and coached, to support the top 6, to be productive at the expense of the rest of team.

I really think it’s coaching. Lineups, system, all of it.

Reactions: LOGiK

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Sid also loves comfort, which is great when you're the best player in the game, but annoying in selfish when you're not. A list actors sometimes turn into supporting actors as they age and are treated as such. It's reality everywhere except this organization.

I bet if you told Sid he's not even the best player on the team anymore, he'd probably punch you

• Haha
Reactions: Coastal Kev

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

This made me chuckle:

"However, Carter was not really a part of the action despite being present."

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

This made me chuckle:

"However, Carter was not really a part of the action despite being present."
Molinari-esque

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
A big problem is last night was a pretty good effort by this team and it still wasn't remotely good enough to beat the Stars.

Like last night was legitimately the good version of this team. And it wasn't enough.

It's gonna be like that all year. Won't be able to beat the good teams.

Also imo we could easily be sitting on one win right now on the season.

The Flames out played us and we got lucky to win that one

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Mike Sullivan said Alex Nedeljkovic sustained a lower-body injury in last night’s game.

That’s why he left practice early. He tried to practice today but couldn’t.

I asked Sullivan if Nedeljkovic will be able to dress tomorrow vs. the Avalanche and he said he didn’t know yet.

The Penguins don’t have space for a recall so unless there are any corresponding moves, that could mean EBUG Mike Chiasson backs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad