Post-Game Talk: Game VI Pens loss to Stars: Our Stars can’t dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm seeing less and less of a reason to believe that this team is anything but exactly how they've performed this year.

The bottom-6 is doing what it is designed to do, they're getting exactly what they want out of that bottom-6 (low event defensive hockey). The issue is that the top-6 can't consistently score enough where a low event defensive bottom-6 works. I think the vision of this team, both from the system Sullivan is running along with the roster construction that Dubas selected, is just fundamentally not correct on the evaluation of the core. This team doesn't have the ability to run the system Sullivan wants to run, nor is the core good enough anymore to be able to win games with a completely unproductive bottom-6. The fundamental vision of this team is based on the flawed assumption that the core is good enough for the vision to work, it's just not anymore.

At the same time, you're spending so much money on the top-6 that you don't reasonably even have a way to help the bottom-6 production. I just don't know what you can even do with this team. Firing Sullivan is really the only thing I can see that even might make a difference, but I still don't think that would move the needle substantially.

If they'd fire Sullivan the results didn't improve, I'd be fully ready to just write off this team as being past their prime and done.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Seasons over, I know a lot of you think that's crazy, but I'm telling you now we're missin the playoffs. Great 1st period but couldn't convert on our many quality chances.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Positives:
Love what I'm seeing from Geno. His legs are moving. He's seeing the ice well. Using his linemates well. Backchecking. Forechecking. He's a beast
Eller, Acciari, O'Connor look good. Creating lots of chances out there. We need a 3rd line that can do this.
I thought Shea had a good game. Ludvig was looking good, too, until the hit :(
This was a weak game form Karlsson but I still love his vision and things he's able to do out there.
Other than that cluster-eff of a 3rd goal, Ned made some good stops today.
I thought Guentzel was very noticeable tonight.

Negatives:
PP. They generated a ton of good chances tonight but the result was still a goose egg.
Crosby. He looked good at times, but not a 60-minute effort from the captain.
Team defense. Just bad. Turnovers everywhere.

2-4 to start the season is horrific, and we have Colorado in town on Thursday. How bad does it need to get for the GM to axe the coach?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
GDRGirK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad